Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is better?
Pacific Northwest 50 70.42%
Deep South 21 29.58%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 02:46 AM

317 posts, read 953,416 times

Advertisements

By the way, I have NEVER seen a definition of the Pacific Northwest that did not include Vancouver or British Columbia. However, I HAVE seen many definitions of the Deep South omit Florida.

You can make a case for Tallahassee or Jacksonville being part of the Deep South, but Miami is far too isolated to merit consideration.

Last edited by Backstrom; 06-12-2013 at 03:01 AM..

Old 06-12-2013, 07:11 AM

2,219 posts, read 3,922,183 times
Based on the states that were included from the South. I quess I would take PNW. Now if east TX, NC, and Florida were in the mix I would choose the South in a flash. Out of the states mentioned only Georgia and Louisiana has any interest to me.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:31 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,835,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Okay. So let's get this right. British Columbia isn't part of the Pacific Northwest, nor is anything east of the Cascade Mountains. But everything from the east coast to beyond the Mississippi River is part of the Deep South, and you think that Florida should be included, too. Are you sure you don't want Texas?

Look, the parameters of the two regions was set by the OP. Deal with it.
The OP. can set the parameters but cant channge geographic boundries. Seattle , Portland , and Vancouver are very connected cities. The Cascades rail line connects the 3 cities its a rail line owned by Washington and ran by Amtrack using french Talgo Trains and when the billion dollar of track improvments are finished will run 120 miles an hour between the three cities. As for boundries I would go with the generalized boundries of the Pacific Northwest wich includes OR. , Wa. , ID. , and B.C. see wikapedia.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:12 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,823,128 times
If BC is included, the drive from Vancouver up to Whistler is a lot better than anything the South has, imo.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:34 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,337,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom View Post
Just because Atlanta has heavy rail, it's a tie? Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver all have rail rapid transit systems. A quick comparison of average weekday ridership-- MARTA carries approximately 400,000, Seattle agencies about 600,000, and Vancouver takes the cake at a whopping 1.2 million weekday boardings, and that's with a metro population that's less than half that of Atlanta's.
Actually MARTA has the eighth highest ridership in the country among rapid transit systems - carrying 217,600 passengers per day while Central Link and the streetcar carry only 29,800 passengers per day. When combining bus ridership with rapid transit and commuter rail ridership, Sound Transit has 430,000 average daily boardings while MARTA has 408,000 daily boardings.

When you also consider the fact that Sound Transit covers a much larger portion of its respective metro area than MARTA, one could argue that it's virtually a tie between Seattle and Atlanta when it comes to transit.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:26 PM

317 posts, read 953,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Actually MARTA has the eighth highest ridership in the country among rapid transit systems - carrying 217,600 passengers per day while Central Link and the streetcar carry only 29,800 passengers per day. When combining bus ridership with rapid transit and commuter rail ridership, Sound Transit has 430,000 average daily boardings while MARTA has 408,000 daily boardings.

When you also consider the fact that Sound Transit covers a much larger portion of its respective metro area than MARTA, one could argue that it's virtually a tie between Seattle and Atlanta when it comes to transit.
But of course Central Link carries fewer passengers than MARTA-- it's much less expansive and much much newer. Not a good comparison.

Just for the record, Sound Transit is just one of six transit agencies in the Seattle area-- it only serves regional corridors. All the agencies combined carry about 600,000 daily boardings (see Q4 2012 APTA ridership report).

I'm not saying MARTA is terrible-- I'm only suggesting that it's much more difficult to build a functional regional transit system in Atlanta because it's so sprawling outside the city proper.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:34 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,337,254 times
Quote:
But of course Central Link carries fewer passengers than MARTA-- it's much less expansive and much much newer. Not a good comparison.

Just for the record, Sound Transit is just one of six transit agencies in the Seattle area-- it only serves regional corridors. All the agencies combined carry about 600,000 daily boardings (see Q4 2012 APTA ridership report).
When comparing rapid transit systems, the Central Link/MARTA comparison is very relevant. MARTA is nothing to sneeze at as it moves hundreds of thousands of people per day and is the eighth largest transit system in the country. Coincidentally if Seattle hadn't refused FTA funding for heavy rail back in the 70s and 80s, then we wouldn't have been able to build MARTA.

Also MARTA isn't the only transit provider in Metro Atlanta, as we also have two counties with their own bus system - CCT and GCT; as well as a regional commuter bus system - GRTA Xpress. Combined they contribute 50,000 additional average daily boardings in the metro area.

Quote:
I'm not saying MARTA is terrible-- I'm only suggesting that it's much more difficult to build a functional regional transit system in Atlanta because it's so sprawling outside the city proper.
Actually the real reason why it's difficult to build a regional transit system in Atlanta is that we have too many counties and local jurisdictions - all of whom enjoy home rule, or a large degree of sovereignty. Trying to get 20 counties to agree on anything is like herding cats.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:00 PM

364 posts, read 621,346 times
I would pick the Deep South, Atlanta to be exact. Portland is a snooze fest and Seattle is not of appeal.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:49 AM

5,872 posts, read 15,290,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I think you're pretty grossly simplifying the ecology of the region. But photos always seem to be crowd pleasers:

The Mountains are Calling by outsideshot, on Flickr

Upper Section of DeSoto Falls. by BamaWester, on Flickr

IMG_4357 by New Orleans Lady, on Flickr

Grace's High Falls by mcmillend, on Flickr

Hunting Island Moonrise, South Carolina by Richard Bernabe, on Flickr
Yes, you're right. All PNW pics by me.

Last edited by JMT; 06-15-2013 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: Max of 6 images per post

Old 06-14-2013, 03:06 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,183,150 times
Just a few more, to add to the variety:

Painted Hills, Oregon

Oregon Coast

Columbia River Gorge

Snoqualamie Falls, Washington

The Palouse, Washington

Crater Lake, Oregon

Fort Rock, Oregon

Hoh Rain Forest, Washington
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City