Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer
Pacific Northwest (Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, Juneau) 31 38.75%
Great Lakes (Chicago, Toronto, Detroit, Cleveland) 49 61.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2012, 11:51 AM

177 posts, read 431,084 times

Advertisements

I thought this would be an interesting thread, especially since a comparison between both of these regions hasn't been covered.

My question is: What do you prefer, the major cities of the Pacific Northwest area (Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, and Juneau-AK) or the Great Lakes (Chicago, Toronto, Detroit, and Cleveland) including their metros as well in terms of quality of life, economy, public transportation, political scene, interesting metro cities, weather, natural scenery, day-trips, amenities, and local culture? Still, both are geographically the opposite of each other, yet border large bodies of water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Northwest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_lakes_region

If you have any pictures of the areas, post them too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 12:33 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Chicago, Toronto... well, you can just stop there, game over already for me as a big city lover and these are two of the top 5-6 in North America.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:38 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,348 times
It seems they have Minnesota in there which would include the Twin cities. Chicago, Toronto and the Twins. Yes, game over in that case. Unless you can't live without mountains of course.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:38 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,326 times
Great Lakes. There are just no cities in Pacific Northwest that can compare to Chicago or Toronto in regards to cities.

Now when it comes to natural landscapes, as beautiful as the Great Lakes are, PNW kills the Great Lakes in that category.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:40 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,357,512 times
I guess I don't like the big city as much. I try to avoid going into them if at all possible. I been there, done that, seen it, played it, got tired of it. So having big city isn't as a "winner" for me. That means having cute / character small towns and beautiful natural scenery wins it for me. And teh PNW has all those in spades.

Better coffee and donuts too (and food in general). Only things I miss about the midwest are family/friends of course, and chicago style pizza. The rest of it I don't really care.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:52 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I guess I don't like the big city as much. I try to avoid going into them if at all possible. I been there, done that, seen it, played it, got tired of it. So having big city isn't as a "winner" for me. That means having cute / character small towns and beautiful natural scenery wins it for me. And teh PNW has all those in spades.

Better coffee and donuts too (and food in general). Only things I miss about the midwest are family/friends of course, and chicago style pizza. The rest of it I don't really care.
Food in general? I dunno but I am pretty sure the variety and quality of cuisine you get in Chicago and Toronto is not as strong in PNW. Not dissing PNW food but Chicago and Toronto are amongst the best cities for food in this world.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:57 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
It seems they have Minnesota in there which would include the Twin cities. Chicago, Toronto and the Twins. Yes, game over in that case. Unless you can't live without mountains of course.
The Twin Cities are not part of the Great Lakes region, the great lakes have no impact on them.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:40 PM

830 posts, read 1,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Great Lakes. There are just no cities in Pacific Northwest that can compare to Chicago or Toronto in regards to cities.

Now when it comes to natural landscapes, as beautiful as the Great Lakes are, PNW kills the Great Lakes in that category.
Agree 100%

Old 12-09-2012, 09:49 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times
The PNW by far. The most beautiful section of North America. The cities are great. The scenery is breathtaking. The weather is nicer imo. I'd much rather live in the PNW.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:53 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,602 times
Toronto and Chicago > everywhere in the PNW combined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City