Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 12:32 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times

Advertisements

1. Washington D.C. Went to college here, really enjoyed the city a lot. Love how urban it is, great transit, always something to do, love the political scene and importance it has. Does need better nightlife and a bit more of its "own" culture Nd the sports teams leave a lot to be desired.
2. Miami. My hometown, love the city realize it has issues but has a lot of positives too.
3. LA . City I have traveled to the most, always have a good time. If LA was on the East Coast and not in California I would want to live there no doubt.
4. NYC . It's NYC, what else needs to be said. Just could never imagine living there.
5. Seattle. Only been twice but what a great looking town enjoyed my two visits hope to go back soon to see more of the city.

International:
1. Barcelona, best city in Europe lived here for four months would be #3 on overall list
2. Prague, was only here for four days but wow awesome city.
3. Sydney, cool place, great country want to go back soon.
4. Madrid
5. London
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 03:35 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,622,386 times
1--DC. There is no city like Washington in this country. We sell it extremely short when cimparing to more "popular" cities, but DC is a heavyweight. Forget that its the capitol and all the government connotations. The layout of the city itself is so unique, the culture and hurriedness, architecture, etc...I love DC and that is where I'll plant my roots in my 30s. Used to live here in the VA burbs as a child, and have visited many times...

2--Syracuse, NY. There is a charm about Syracuse that grabs me every time I've been. Beautiful city, great people. Used to live 90 minutes south, but have only visited twice. I could see myself residing there permanently...

3--Richmond, VA. My hometown. I could go on and on about Richmond. Very underrated, with the gifts of a city and presence twice its size...

4--Charlotte. Only lived here 48 days. Would go back in a heartbeat. That city moves and while largely suburban, urban Charlotte (Uptown, South End, NoDa, South Park, etc) is very appealing and extremely fun. Charlotte is a beautiful city...

I don't know what my number 5 would be. My favorite state is South Carolina. The history and culture and aura of the people there is so vexing...Columbia/Myrtle/Orangeburg/Dillon/Santee/Bennettsville/Florence/Marion, all rollef in one, are my number 5...

Cities I haven't been to yet that I'd love to visit...it changes monthly! Recently, though, I've developed a real urge to see Orlando...

Old 01-08-2014, 06:25 AM

23,459 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Cities that I loved to visit:

Boston
Seattle
Chicago
New York City
New Orleans

Old 01-08-2014, 06:32 AM

23,459 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
1--DC. There is no city like Washington in this country. We sell it extremely short when cimparing to more "popular" cities, but DC is a heavyweight. Forget that its the capitol and all the government connotations. The layout of the city itself is so unique, the culture and hurriedness, architecture, etc...I love DC and that is where I'll plant my roots in my 30s. Used to live here in the VA burbs as a child, and have visited many times...

2--Syracuse, NY. There is a charm about Syracuse that grabs me every time I've been. Beautiful city, great people. Used to live 90 minutes south, but have only visited twice. I could see myself residing there permanently...

3--Richmond, VA. My hometown. I could go on and on about Richmond. Very underrated, with the gifts of a city and presence twice its size...

4--Charlotte. Only lived here 48 days. Would go back in a heartbeat. That city moves and while largely suburban, urban Charlotte (Uptown, South End, NoDa, South Park, etc) is very appealing and extremely fun. Charlotte is a beautiful city...

I don't know what my number 5 would be. My favorite state is South Carolina. The history and culture and aura of the people there is so vexing...Columbia/Myrtle/Orangeburg/Dillon/Santee/Bennettsville/Florence/Marion, all rollef in one, are my number 5...

Cities I haven't been to yet that I'd love to visit...it changes monthly! Recently, though, I've developed a real urge to see Orlando...
Enjoyed your well- thought out post. Yes you should give Orlando a shot. It was a great place to live. Veer away from the tourist areas; check out Downtown and the neighborhoods abutting it to the east, then drive Orange Avenue up to the beautiful community of Winter Park. There's so much more to Orlando than amusement parks.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:17 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to the 'States View Post
You don't have to write that you are sarcastic to deflect your flyover complex. LA is all those things you describe. The world media is channeled through LA and NYC. We are American culture in a nutshell. Beauty, culture, mecca of tourism are the icing on the cake.
Yes, but so are Chicago, Boston and D.C., yet you claim they're a waste of time. It's hard to take that statement seriously, given that any of those cities are arguably more interesting than LA (arguably, of course).

Old 01-08-2014, 11:05 AM

66 posts, read 91,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Yes, but so are Chicago, Boston and D.C., yet you claim they're a waste of time. It's hard to take that statement seriously, given that any of those cities are arguably more interesting than LA (arguably, of course).
Listen discussions about LA, DC, Boston don't pertain to you in flyover Ohio. Don't worry about us we will manage and worry about that mess of a state you live in.

DC, Boston, and Chicago aren't more interesting than LA but I don't need to explain what's interesting to a Clevelander. Basically anything would be interesting to you.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:26 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,310 times
1. San Francisco
2. Phoenix/Scottsdale/Tempe
3. Dallas/Ft. Worth
4. Atlanta
5. New York

Old 01-08-2014, 06:49 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,484 times
LA
San Diego
Managua
San Fran
Seattle

Old 01-08-2014, 07:03 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,426 times
1. Chicago- I just effing love the city. BIG city like New York, but a different vibe. Reminds me of my hometown of Pittsburgh, but on a huge scale. The food, music, toughness, frigid winters, amazing summers, architecture, transit, the Lake, the festivals, skyline, and just general vibe does something for me like no other city has. I love that damn city.
2. New York City- It's huge, It has everything, it's overwhelming, and it is an American icon. How do you not include it?
3. Pittsburgh- My home town. Underrated, unique, educated. Absolutely beautiful skyline and topography. Pride like you wouldn't believe. A city of neighborhoods. Improving every day, and the secret of this great city gets more exposed everyday. It won't be a secret much longer.
4. San Francisco- It's the Chicago of the West to me. Not because it is materialistically or physically like Chicago in any way shape or form, but because of the vibe it gives me. I love the unique culture, topography, people, food, music, etc. For me, it is the best city west of Chicago, by FAR.
5. Philadelphia/Boston tie- Two great, old American cities. Amazing residential architecture. Dense and walkable. Great food. A few cities fall close to this 5 spot, but don't quite hold the sentimental value that Philly and Boston do to me.

Honorable mentions:
LA
Cleveland
Miami

Haven't been yet, but I think will have good potential:
Austin
Portland
Seattle

Old 01-10-2014, 03:35 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Default Be civil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to the 'States View Post
Listen discussions about LA, DC, Boston don't pertain to you in flyover Ohio. Don't worry about us we will manage and worry about that mess of a state you live in.

DC, Boston, and Chicago aren't more interesting than LA but I don't need to explain what's interesting to a Clevelander. Basically anything would be interesting to you.
Wow, BTTS you are extremely rude, and I am sure have never been to Ohio! I grew up in LA, went to college in Boston, travel quite a bit to DC and live in the Chicago area. ALL THREE are more interesting than LA in my opinion, as much as I love LA. Why you think that you are so special and more interesting than someone else based upon strictly upon geography is beyond me, unless that opinion is based upon ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City