Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does density make a city?
Yes! 55 50.93%
No! 31 28.70%
It depends on the city we're talking about.. 22 20.37%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 04:37 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times

Advertisements

So, As i keep reading on this fourm..I find that many people have this Idea that Density is one of the key elements to making a city a real city.
Why do you think? Does a city have to be extremely urban to be classifies as a large city?

Also can you please list some cities for example?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 04:43 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
So, As i keep reading on this fourm..I find that many people have this Idea that Density is one of the key elements to making a city a real city.
Why do you think? Does a city have to be extremely urban to be classifies as a large city?

Do you mean extremely dense? I think there's a point where it matters but there's no denying (some will though ) Houston, Phoenix and Atlanta are "real" cities. I guess I would have a hard time calling cities like Virginia Beach or Mission Viejo "real" big cities because they are built in a suburban model.

But really it's just preference. I prefer dense big cities that I can walk to everything and take PT for the rest of my needs. Others don't like watching to crazies scream at each other for half an hour on the bus (Not that I like it, but I can tolerate it) and would prefer a car friendly city.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:06 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,279 times
Quote:
So, As i keep reading on this fourm..I find that many people have this Idea that Density is one of the key elements to making a city a real city. Why do you think?
Yes, density and transit.

Quote:
Does a city have to be extremely urban to be classifies as a large city?
You are confusing large with urban. However, everyone has their opinion as to what justifies urban or large. In my opinion urban means high density and livable without a car. Large means simply a large population and whether you go off metro or city pop is your choice.

Quote:
Yeah, no problem. Examples:

Urban: SF, DC, Boston, Philly, Chicago, NYC/Jersey City/Hoboken
Large: Dallas, LA, Seattle, Houston, Atlanta, Miami

* On a side note you are not originally from NYC metro are you?

Old 10-06-2011, 05:13 PM

908 posts, read 1,828,613 times
Yes, NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco are perfect examples of how a city should be.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Yes, NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco are perfect examples of how a city should be.
Interesting. So does this mean cities like Los Angeles, Seattle, Miami, Denver, aren't examples of how a city should be? (in your opinion)

Old 10-06-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Yes, density and transit.

You are confusing large with urban. However, everyone has their opinion as to what justifies urban or large. In my opinion urban means high density and livable without a car. Large means simply a large population and whether you go off metro or city pop is your choice.

Yeah, no problem. Examples:

Urban: SF, DC, Boston, Philly, Chicago, NYC/Jersey City/Hoboken
Large: Dallas, LA, Seattle, Houston, Atlanta, Miami

* On a side note you are not originally from NYC metro are you?
Nope..born in La, Raised in Houston for large span of time, Went back and forth from living in Denver and other places. Why ask?

Old 10-06-2011, 05:22 PM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
No, its a kind of Government.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Nope..born in La, Raised in Houston for large span of time, Went back and forth from living in Denver and other places.
Ah, ok. So, LA-Houston-Denver!

Quote:
Why ask?
I was just curious as to where you were from b/c I could tell it wasn't NYC metro.

Last edited by Gateway Region; 10-06-2011 at 05:50 PM..

Old 10-06-2011, 05:34 PM

[quote=Gateway Region;21181994]
Quote:
Nope..born in La, Raised in Houston for large span of time, Went back and forth from living in Denver and other places.

Ah, ok. So, LA-Houston-Denver!

I was just curious as to where you were from b/c I could tell it wasn't NYC metro.
Yeah, lol. Not really a NYC kinda guy. And as you can tell from some of my post, I'm not quite and expert when it comes to this kinda stuff. Thats why I barley ever venture to Manhattan. LI does it for me i guess.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Yeah, lol. Not really a NYC kinda guy. And as you can tell from some of my post, I'm not quite and expert when it comes to this kinda stuff. Thats why I barley ever venture to Manhattan. LI does it for me i guess.
There is nothing wrong with that. Many natives in the burbs only go into the city around 4 times a year for special occasions such as xmas shopping, broadway show, pro sports game, family visiting, etc.

Explore BK and Queens more b/c they might be more your pace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City