Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we move to Burlington, VT or Austin, TX?
Burlington, VT 17 62.96%
Austin, TX 10 37.04%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 11:16 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,976,996 times

Advertisements

I'm sitting in the Burlington airport as I write this, on my way bac to Philly (actually I live un northern Delaware). I lived in Aust in for many years and found it an excellent quality of life aside from the dreadful summer heat but my partner and I would never live there again. Texas is no more than ever in the grip of completely reactionary Republicans and the state's policies are awful, xenophobic, illiberal and intolerant. Do not move to Austin for it is in benighted Texas, a place now also plagued by persistent drought and catastrophic fires. Vermont is progressive, tolerant and beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 06:09 AM

OK, the difficulties trying to write a legible post on an iPad balanced on a briefcase on top of one's knees! Sorry about all the typos in that previous post, though hopefully the basic ideas got across clearly. Texas is in the grip of extremely reactionary elements of the Republican Party and is, frankly, going to hell in the proverbial handbasket. They've also been plagued with continual drought and summer temperatures up to and in excess of 110 F. Overall, the state is the very antithesis of Vermont. Much as we loved Austin for most of the 19 years we lived there (and had previously lived there for a couple of years in the 1970s), we would never move back due to the dreadful Texas politics, the dreadful Texas weather, and the fact that it takes forever to get anywhere from Austin or indeed from most of Texas -- completely unlike living on the East Coast.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:39 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times
If you like Burlington, then consider Ithaca NY. It has the same vibe, but is more affordable: Visitor Info | Visit Ithaca

Old 09-12-2011, 06:42 AM

59 posts, read 112,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I'm sitting in the Burlington airport as I write this, on my way bac to Philly (actually I live un northern Delaware). I lived in Aust in for many years and found it an excellent quality of life aside from the dreadful summer heat but my partner and I would never live there again. Texas is no more than ever in the grip of completely reactionary Republicans and the state's policies are awful, xenophobic, illiberal and intolerant. Do not move to Austin for it is in benighted Texas, a place now also plagued by persistent drought and catastrophic fires. Vermont is progressive, tolerant and beautiful.
How long have you lived in DE? What brought you there? What's it like relative to Burlington? I'm considering a move myself and DE is on the shortlist.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:56 AM

Delaware has far lower taxes than Vermont -- no sales tax, very modest state income tax, very low property taxes relative to most places in the country (especially if you live in an unincorporated area, of which there are many in DE -- many "towns" are actually unincorporated suburbs/exurbs). The northernmost bit of DE is very pretty, hilly and heavily wooded -- like Southeastern PA. The majority of the state below that is coastal plain - flat and rather boring in a way, though again heavily wooded in parts, farmland in other parts, and some great wetlands, as well as the Atlantic coastal beaches, which are among the cleanest in the nation. People here are mostly very friendly. We get four distinct seasons -- Autumn is my favourite and seems to go on forever. Winters are variable; we've had a great deal of snow the last two winters (nothing compared to Vermont, of course). Delaware is both progressive and moderate overall, and doesn't have as cool a vibe as places like Burilington. I've lived here 4 years. My partner and I moved from Austin to Vilnius, Lithuania where we lived for only 6 months before I got a position in London, where we lived for not quite the next three years, and then moved to the burbs north of Wilmington, DE. Feel free to DM with any further questions or browse the DE Forum (I suggest doing that before starting a thread there because the same questions get asked over and over in the form of different threads).

Old 09-12-2011, 02:29 PM

59 posts, read 112,803 times
Will definitely check out the DE forums. I am so done with the mountains. Have loved and embraced them for 25 years but ti is time for me to get back to the ocean. Intend to continue researching the places I am considering then take a road trip to see them in person. Will DM if there is anything I am curious about that I am not finding elsewhere. Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City