Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 02:40 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
First of all, 20 g's is not a lot of money. Secondly, most of the people picking Mobile have obviously never lived in a big city. There is no way in the world I would give you the amenities of Philadelphia for Mobile for that amount. Most of you would move back immediately after you discovered that the locals "ain't too tolerant for your types."
It's actually a 50k difference in extra money picking the Mobile job, not 20k, due to COL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 02:45 PM

221 posts, read 484,576 times
I'd take the $65,000 Philadelphia offer.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:48 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I don't think so. For the most part I think people acknowledge that Mobile is a much smaller city than Philadelphia in a much different climate with a different type of build and some major cultural differences. It's a simple matter of preference and this forum tends to be weighted heavily toward more urban. I think most residents of Mobile who are happy there are thrilled that Mobile isn't similar to a Northeastern city. Why is it an issue that people on this forum tend to prefer Philly? It's nothing personal.

I know Mobile has beaches and a seaport (so does metro Philly, by the way), but those two factors pale in comparison to other important factors (size, urbanity, culture, etc) which is why I choose Philly.
Im from NY and spent a lot of time in Philly (crew racing). I still think I would prefer the warm weather and coastal breezes. I might even try to like the bubba culture.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:48 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
People forget that Mobile is a Beach City/Seaport. I would take 85K and be pretty happy living on the gulf coast
Mobile is not really a 'beach' city, no more than is Orlando FL. It's on the northern edge of a very large bay. Having said that, there are some very lovely (and incredibly affordable) neighborhoods there. The biggest challenge is that it's not really a city accustomed to transients ie Atlanta of Charlotte, so assimilation might be a bit more difficult there.
Having said that, the beaches near Mobile are gorgeous, the Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay is amazing, and for $85,000 (vs $65,000 for Philadelphia? Please.) you can live a fabulous lifestyle. The choice for me (and I qualify this by saying I am a native Southerner) would be easy.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:58 PM

199 posts, read 178,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Im from NY and spent a lot of time in Philly (crew racing). I still think I would prefer the warm weather and coastal breezes. I might even try to like the bubba culture.
Bubba culture?

Old 06-28-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Mobile is not really a 'beach' city, no more than is Orlando FL. It's on the northern edge of a very large bay. Having said that, there are some very lovely (and incredibly affordable) neighborhoods there. The biggest challenge is that it's not really a city accustomed to transients ie Atlanta of Charlotte, so assimilation might be a bit more difficult there.
Having said that, the beaches near Mobile are gorgeous, the Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay is amazing, and for $85,000 (vs $65,000 for Philadelphia? Please.) you can live a fabulous lifestyle. The choice for me (and I qualify this by saying I am a native Southerner) would be easy.
Dauphin Island is about 30 minutes from there. You cab get to Gulf Shores in about 40 min.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
Why does Mobile have skyscrapers? (lol)
Because it's a city.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:14 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Quote:
First of all, 20 g's is not a lot of money. Secondly, most of the people picking Mobile have obviously never lived in a big city. There is no way in the world I would give you the amenities of Philadelphia for Mobile for that amount. Most of you would move back immediately after you discovered that the locals "ain't too tolerant for your types."
I'm from NYC and I choose Mobile, I don't think it has to do with if you've lived in a big city or not, just preference, the big/mega city thing has been done to death for some, it's burnt out and unappealing to me. 20 G's is A LOT, especially when you factor in the cost of living.

Lol I'll amenity myself a nice house, nice car, etc., if I want a big city I'll visit one. If there is a problem, the "locals" could kick rocks, I'm not going anywhere (until I want to).

I love Philly but...no thank you.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:38 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
And you know any of this how? Have you ever left the DMV? How do you assume that people that would ***gasp*** pick Mobile have "obviously never lived in a big city" just by this simple choice?

That is an AWFUL lot of assumption packed into such a small post.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:45 PM

191 posts, read 215,027 times
Did any of you guys think about picking Philly and living in new jersey or delaware where the money will take you far like it would in mobile?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City