Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 02:44 PM

357 posts, read 1,462,446 times

Advertisements

I know Seattle and Vancouver have a similar climate and location, but from pics, it seems to me that Seattle's downtown and big office-building skyline , as well as downtown freeways, looks more like Toronto.

In Seattle's neighborhoods, just walking around, does it feel like Toronto, or is the arhetecture and density level (or lack thereof) more like Vancouver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 02:49 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Besides Vancouver's multitude of glass condo towers and lack of freeways contrasted with Seattle's financial district and big freeways; Seattle is way more comparable to Vancouver in almost every way, not really like Toronto. The neighborhoods, parks, topography, kitsch, cultures, nearby mountains and ocean, and West Coast character of Seattle and Vancouver are much more comparable to each other as they are both Pacific Rim port cities. Toronto is a lot bigger and has a much more diverse population and a whole lot more banking and finance than both Seattle and Vancouver.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:50 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
Is this just because of the Space Needle/CN tower similarities?

Seattle is def more like Vancouver.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:58 PM

3 questions:

Which is more liberal -Seattle or Toronto (and where does Van stand for that matter)?

Which has more dense walkable neighborhoods? -out of the 3 cities

Which has a bigger more prominant Black community-Seattle or Toronto? (i realize Van has next to none)

Old 05-18-2011, 04:38 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
3 questions:

Which is more liberal -Seattle or Toronto (and where does Van stand for that matter)?

Which has more dense walkable neighborhoods? -out of the 3 cities

Which has a bigger more prominant Black community-Seattle or Toronto? (i realize Van has next to none)
All three cities are pretty liberal politically, but Canada is more liberal and I can't really distinguish if Toronto or Vancouver is more liberal. I imagine Toronto could possibly be more fiscally conservative with so much banking and finance located there.

All three cities are dense, and Vancouver grows denser every year. Vancouver is zoned for more density than Seattle. From its origins though, Toronto is denser than the other two.

Toronto, head and shoulders above Seattle for a black community.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:05 PM

thanks for the answers. I can't imagine Toronto being more liberal than Seattle, with right winger, Rob Ford as mayor. Also the Toronto Sun is quite conservative as well.

Aren't most of Seattle's neighborhoods full of hipsters/LGBT/hippies and yuppies? Toronto still seems to have alot of blue-collar Archie Bunker type neighborhoods and neighborhoods full of asians and muslims that don't really accept gays/lesbians and greenpeace types.

I think that just because someplace is in Canada does'nt make it more liberal than everywhere in the US....and just because someplace is in the US does'nt make it more conservative than everywhere in Canada......eg) nobody would say Calgary is more liberal than San Fran

Old 05-18-2011, 05:49 PM

484 posts, read 1,285,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
thanks for the answers. I can't imagine Toronto being more liberal than Seattle, with right winger, Rob Ford as mayor. Also the Toronto Sun is quite conservative as well.

Aren't most of Seattle's neighborhoods full of hipsters/LGBT/hippies and yuppies? Toronto still seems to have alot of blue-collar Archie Bunker type neighborhoods and neighborhoods full of asians and muslims that don't really accept gays/lesbians and greenpeace types.

I think that just because someplace is in Canada does'nt make it more liberal than everywhere in the US....and just because someplace is in the US does'nt make it more conservative than everywhere in Canada......eg) nobody would say Calgary is more liberal than San Fran
Rob Ford only got 47% when the other two candidates (that are more to the left) got 53% plus only 15% of the city vote, so I wouldn't judge Toronto based on that idiot. In the last Federal election most of the riding in the city voted for the NDP or the Liberals.

Toronto has all types of neighbourhood including younger hipster hoods. We have a large gay village (Where the US version on the TV show ***** as Folk was filmed), and Toronto's Pride event is one of the largest in the world. The first gay marriage in Toronto lead to the legalization of Gay Marriages in Canada.

The Sun is considered a tabloid newspaper and no one really reads it.

P.S, One of the co-founders of Greenepeace lived in Toronto.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:15 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
All three cities are pretty liberal politically, but Canada is more liberal and I can't really distinguish if Toronto or Vancouver is more liberal. I imagine Toronto could possibly be more fiscally conservative with so much banking and finance located there.

All three cities are dense, and Vancouver grows denser every year. Vancouver is zoned for more density than Seattle. From its origins though, Toronto is denser than the other two.

Toronto, head and shoulders above Seattle for a black community.
Is most of Toronto's black community of Caribbean descent? I've never been to Toronto, but I remember when I lived in Edmonton, Alberta the only black kids I went to school with were from Toronto and had families originally from Jamaica.

Statistically Toronto and Seattle seem to have about the same percentage of black people---around 8 percent. Is there just a more visible black or African community in Canada?

Old 05-18-2011, 06:25 PM

484 posts, read 1,285,750 times
Most of the black people in Toronto are of Caribbean Descent (like myself), followed by African.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:27 PM

I believe Seattle is about 10 percent black, and Toronto 8 percent. But i believe that Toronto's metro area is 6 percent black while Seattle's metro is only 3 percent....roughly, if i remember correctly.

I think Toronto has a higher percentage of blacks, but they are more spread out around the metro area, whereas in Seattle, they are more concentrated within the city limits....if you think about it this way, the Toronto metro might even trump the Boston metro in percentage of blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City