Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 01:15 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
I believe Seattle is about 10 percent black, and Toronto 8 percent. But i believe that Toronto's metro area is 6 percent black while Seattle's metro is only 3 percent....roughly, if i remember correctly.

I think Toronto has a higher percentage of blacks, but they are more spread out around the metro area, whereas in Seattle, they are more concentrated within the city limits....if you think about it this way, the Toronto metro might even trump the Boston metro in percentage of blacks.
Seattle's blacks were more concentrated years ago but today Seattle's blacks are more spreadout than ever with more living in the southern suburbs than any other part of metro Seattle.

Imo Seattle is nothing like Toronto. More of a Vancouver vibe though not too similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 03:08 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
thanks for the answers. I can't imagine Toronto being more liberal than Seattle, with right winger, Rob Ford as mayor. Also the Toronto Sun is quite conservative as well.

Aren't most of Seattle's neighborhoods full of hipsters/LGBT/hippies and yuppies? Toronto still seems to have alot of blue-collar Archie Bunker type neighborhoods and neighborhoods full of asians and muslims that don't really accept gays/lesbians and greenpeace types.

I think that just because someplace is in Canada does'nt make it more liberal than everywhere in the US....and just because someplace is in the US does'nt make it more conservative than everywhere in Canada......eg) nobody would say Calgary is more liberal than San Fran
Well all over North America there are liberals and conservatives. But Toronto's liberal voice just seems to throw more weight around politically as it makes more media headlines than the other two cities and as another poster stated made big strides in Gay marriage before Massachusetts, which was the first state to legalize it in the US. I feel Toronto has a more visible black community. And despite per capita stats, Toronto is just a much bigger city & metro than Seattle and Vancouver.

Toronto:
City - 2,503,281 / Metro 5,113,149

Seattle:
City - 608,660 / Metro 3,407,848

Vancouver:
City - 578,041/ Metro 2,116,581 (wikipedia)

Yes Seattle and Vancouver are less old school than Toronto. But Toronto is still quite progressive and the city has changed a lot in the past 30 years. Seattle certainly has its conservative side, mostly in the Eastside suburbs. One thing that sets Seattle apart from the other two is there is a lot more milatary in the area, particularly around Tacoma/Pierce County (Fort Lewis, Camp Murray, McChord AFB, Everett & Bremerton Naval Stations). I don't know about any conservative side of Vancouver but I'm sure one doesn't have to stray to far into Lower Mainland BC to find it. Clearly though ON, BC, & WA are not conservative on same the level of Alberta, Saskatchewan, or Texas.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-19-2011 at 03:25 AM..

Old 05-19-2011, 01:28 PM

92 posts, read 155,003 times
While I agree that Mayor Ford is not representative of most Torontonians, he would not have even received 20% of the vote if he ran in Seattle. Mayor Mike McGinn is probably more Liberal than any Mayor in the History of Toronto. Mayor McGinn also has a much more diverse inner circle, with a Black Deputy Mayor, while only 1 member of Toronto's 43 member city council is black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City