Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle or San Diego?
Seattle 34 45.33%
San Diego 27 36.00%
You will fail. Seriously. 4 5.33%
I like turtles. 10 13.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 09:55 PM

25 posts, read 124,700 times

Advertisements

Hi calibound1,

Wish I had read your post originally prior to your move. I was in the same predicament years ago (pre-recession) with a pros/cons list between Seattle and San Diego and chose Seattle. I chose Seattle because it was more promising job-wise.

Sure the weather does get to me (I've lived in Asia all my life prior to moving to Seattle where people wear jackets in 70F) I've always loved rain and that still hasn't changed... what does get to me though is how overcast this place gets for prolonged periods. I recall 1 week of no sunlight at all and that drove me pretty crazy.
There are definitely times I daydream about moving to another sunnier city but right now, I have to suck up the fact that the job market is relatively good here. There are a lot of tech jobs in this city and the city has held up pretty well with the recession.

I initially glossed over the 'cold freeze' comments that were mentioned to me before I moved here but found some to be quite true. I guess it also depends on what phase you are in your life -if you're single and living in the city probably likely to meet more people vs a married couple in the suburbs.
One thing that drives me nuts about some people in Seattle that I noticed is different from other cities is the lack of eye contact.

In the end, every city can have an exhaustive list of pros/cons but right now, with everything going on; this is far from the worst place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 10:14 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,052,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibound1 View Post
Seattle
Pros - better economy and job prospects, modern tech environment, better transit system
Cons - weather, some have said the people are less open/friendly
I find this myth to be absolute poppycock. There's nice and rude people everywhere, and if you have good people skills odds are people will like you no matter where you go.
Both cities are great, but I agree that there is a better job market in Seattle. Plus waiting through 8-9 months of the rain just to see the 3-4 months the sun DOES shine is totally worth it.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:30 PM

478 posts, read 784,553 times
I lived in the Seattle area recently, and I found the people there very nice in general, especially compared to most other big cities. If I had to say why I wouldn't want to live in Seattle, there's no way I'd mention unfriendly people as a reason.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:51 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
I find this myth to be absolute poppycock. There's nice and rude people everywhere, and if you have good people skills odds are people will like you no matter where you go.
Pretty amazing how easily people buy into myths isn't it?

You couldn't possibly be more correct.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:07 AM

178 posts, read 419,124 times
If you would like to have lots to ,good lifestyle,and a good place to grow up ,seattle but if you like spring break,id take san diego

Old 01-24-2012, 09:21 PM

69 posts, read 174,904 times
If you have money, like to have fun, and like to be in a place with lots of cool people, go to Los Angeles. If you like to be in a small city and be bored while constantly surrounded by a bunch of nerds, then flip a quarter between Seattle and San Diego.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:00 PM

478 posts, read 784,553 times
LA might be better off without me, I don't now, but I m sure better off without LA.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:44 AM

27 posts, read 34,996 times
I'd go with San Diego since the weather is more mild in the winter. Neither downtowns are that crack up to be in sense of really hanging or community gathering spots. You do have Pike Market, retail district and Belltown in Dt. Seattle and Horton Plaza/Gaslamp District and Little Italy in Dt. San Diego with Seattle being somewhat more bustling. However, people don't usually say, "hey let's go hangout downtown in those cities." They both are in the neighborhoods: Capitol Hills/First Hills and Ballard for Seattle and Hillcrest/Old Town and Beach communities for San Diego. Seattle has more of a cosmopolitan and faster vibe while San Diego is laid back. San Diego is a bit cheaper than Seattle. The job picture is more promising in Seattle. Choose your pick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City