Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 11:46 AM

208 posts, read 411,417 times

Advertisements

Holy crap... this is a real thing? I thought this was a joke thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthgrainalp View Post
For Goddess' sake, DO NOT GO TO FREAKIN SALEM! I dreamed of going there for years. YEARS. My whole life. And oh yes, there are definately lots and lots of "pagans" in Salem. But if you are looking for followers of the Goddess, look elsewhere. I did not feel Her presence there at all. The Wiccans in Salem, for the most part, have capitalized on the craft to a sickening and ridiculous level. I found it to be absolutely blasphemous. Those stores overcharge for things you can get on the internet at about 75 percent cheaper. They have Halloween decorations up year round, as though a bunch of fake spiderwebs and plastic bats is what witchcraft is about. I would think a place wanting to present itself as pro-pagan would also want to educate the public as to what Paganism really is, not exploit it through misinformation and propaganda. The Witches of Salem should be ashamed of themselves, and the image they are presenting to the public. You don't have to dress in all black, wear 20 lbs of fake occultic jewelry, and decorate your surroundings with skulls to be a witch. Seriously? Maybe if that's what you are looking for, Satanism sounds more to your liking.
If you are looking for a pro-pagan place to live, find someplace where the environment and wildlife are greatly cared for, someplace where a lot of charity work is done, and someplace where all people are treated equally. THAT is a place where you will find the Goddess. And maybe the reason there aren't a lot of places like that is because us pagans are always looking for something that is already founded... basically, a microwave dinner of pagan life. If we want a pagan-friendly place to live, we all need to take responsibility to educate the uninformed masses as to what we really are, and not give in the hype(ocrit). Wouldn't that make us no different than those which discriminate against us? And wouldn't we be proving them right?
This post absolutely boggles my mind. Not only is there actual Paganism in America, but now, apparently, there's even a hipster-level of Paganism.

EDIT: I definitely don't want to come off as mocking anyone's religious beliefs. Apologies if anything I wrote was offensive, I am genuinely surprised that this was a serious thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 02:39 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
Yes Neo-Paganism I think does have its own subcultures and maybe even cliques.

I admit in some ways I found Neo-Paganism peculiar as there are still polytheistic Nature-loving religions with a fairly continuous history. In a sense Shintoism and indigenous belief are "Pagan" or like "Pagan." Hawaii looks to have most of the US's Shinto temples and a small amount of indigenous Hawaiian belief survives. The Hopi have largely stayed of their traditional faith. First Mesa, Second Mesa, Shongopovi, Kykotsmovi Village, Hotevilla-Bacava, and a few other places in Arizona are said to be highly Hopi.

https://www.city-data.com/city/First-Mesa-Arizona.html
https://www.city-data.com/city/Second-Mesa-Arizona.html
https://www.city-data.com/city/Shongopovi-Arizona.html
https://www.city-data.com/city/Kykots...e-Arizona.html
https://www.city-data.com/city/Hotevi...i-Arizona.html

Although maybe not that peculiar as most "Indigenous Paganism" does not seek, or even really desire, converts.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:26 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,104 times
Default boredatwork

What good is paganism

Old 01-16-2012, 07:41 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
"Pagan" actually refers to a person from the country, so maybe a city isn't really what you are looking for at all!

Old 05-20-2013, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,993 times
I'm wiccan and I live in Las Vegas, NV. We do have a few shopes out here, however if your a green wiccan/pagan then this is not the place for you. Rain fall is low, most of the land is infertal, and with he sun/heat you can't spend a lot of time out side. Right now my family and I are lookin to move to a different state for those reasons. Those and most of the neighbor hoods here aren't very nice any more, there is tagging almost every where. There are also a lot of churches, I know no matter where you go there will be a church but the've built about 3 of them by my house, I have no problem with them, but it would be nice to not hear there gosspel music in my back yard.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:36 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
I imagine Glastonbury, England would be the place to go for pagans. They opened a Goddess Temple there, the first one (allegedly) in Europe in over 1000 years.

In the states Sedona, AZ is popular as a New Age hub which encompasses Wicca and paganism.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:33 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,202,751 times
Seattle or Portland!Or perhaps New Orleans.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:47 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Portland and Seattle don't make the list.

What city in the US has the most pagans

Old 05-22-2013, 07:19 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Most of us are pagans, we just don't acknowledge it.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:15 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Most of us are pagans, we just don't acknowledge it.
Care to elaborate with examples?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City