Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city in the south has the most "big city" feel?
Atlanta 93 27.84%
Charlotte 4 1.20%
Dallas 46 13.77%
Fort Worth 1 0.30%
Houston 94 28.14%
Jacksonville 1 0.30%
Memphis 4 1.20%
Miami 66 19.76%
New Orleans 23 6.89%
Oklahoma City 0 0%
San Antonio 2 0.60%
Tampa 0 0%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 09:15 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
or too long lol. the Katy Freeway has to be the most tedious drive ever. there's something about driving straight on such a wide road for such a long time that takes a toll on you. makes you feel like you'll never leave Houston
yep, I have heard people say that too. it goes on and on and on. When will this city end??? But there is much to see though. The drive through Katy and downtown on 10 is great.

Quote:
as someone who is familiar with driving around both cities, I can safely say that has nothing to do with it. have you ever driven around Houston? thru much of the city your view off the freeways is mostly taller trees. there are pines all over the place. even on the westside. it's not just palm trees and short oaks.

to me, what made Atlanta feel smaller was their less massive freeway system and the simple fact that there were fewer tall buildings around the city. that's what makes Houston feel so large.
yeah, I was gonna mention that, but didn't bother. It is true, especially with your I10 example. when you hit Katy mills and start seeing huge buildings and these don't stop for an hour, it kinda feels like you are in a bigger city.
The highways are massive all over the city and you can see huge buildings along a lot of the way for most of them.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:58 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,602,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Yeah, with two metro divisions. Houston is the only Metro Division in its metro. We stand alone bro. and are almost on your neck. Dallas doesn't feel as big because you need FW to be as big. Without FW you would be the number 10th metro (or somewhere around there)

Houston is is at 6.1M, it is very dishonest to use new figures for the other metros and old figures for Houston. You are better than that, so stop it.

The census figures show no such thing. In fact the census figures show less of a gap than there actually is.

wow, that is a very interesting comparison, and brings into the mix the city I would pick- DC.

It is clear from your numbers that DC is the bigger boy here. Miami starts out strong at the core, but doesn't carry that out for long. Houston is strong all the way through. Atlanta picks up phenomenally in the end.

I would say the top are:

1. DC Strongest all the way through
2. Houston- Strong from start to finish
3. Atlanta- weak start, phenomenal ending
4. Miami- excellent start, weaker finish (hindered by water I guess)
5. DFW- average through and through

Exactly!!! LA is a big exception because...... it is LA. Dallas does not compare to LA on any level because LA is so much bigger. The city is almost 4 times as large and the metro is twice as large. LA is the second biggest city and second biggest metro. Dallas with another huge metro is 4th place, while the city of Dallas is what? 9th place??

I knew I could count on HtowmLove for a little reinforcement about the Greater Houston Metro area numbers and size.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:03 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,951,124 times
Quote:
or too long lol. the Katy Freeway has to be the most tedious drive ever. there's something about driving straight on such a wide road for such a long time that takes a toll on you. makes you feel like you'll never leave Houston
Yeah, that is true, also. But, at least there is a lot to see. It's a fun drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
I have a ton more actually good photos, but I hate this resizing and I'm starting to feel like I'm just wasting time on here. Atlanta would "feel" larger if it were flat with less trees like Houston. If Atlanta had flat terrain, palm trees and shorter oak trees, etc, it, too, would look quite large. Whole entire buildings/views can be blocked by hills and tall trees, making taking pictures of the skylines fairly difficult.
Have you ever driven through Houston? The reason it feels larger than Atlanta is because it has more buildings than Atlanta. All lining up against the freeway. I'd say the Inner Loop of Houston has just as many high-rises as all of Atlanta's buildings from the Perimeter on in.

And this is an old pano taken around 2006. There is a new 500 foot tower at the freeway interchange, along with other new buildings. And the freeway is complete:

Old 01-09-2011, 10:44 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,772,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Because the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex is larger in population? Yeah when it comes to urbanity, the boundaries don't make a difference at all. Its blatantly wrong to say "we're the larger city by population or we're the larger metropolitan area, therefore we're more urban" because that is far from the truth.
Urbanity is the build up around the core region of your metropolitan area, and how cohesive and consistent it can stay.

By the way, Happy Early Birthday, you're actually a year and a few months older than me.

DANNY, I didn't know you were that young! WOW!

Old 01-09-2011, 10:46 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
does he sound like an old coot??

lol I am just a couple of years older than Danny, Jluke and Scarface, but it seems like I am ancient

Old 01-09-2011, 10:47 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I know right? I turn 20 in August.
Youngster. Being 20 is so last year. Keep up.

Quote:

By the way, Happy Early Birthday, you're actually a year and a few months older than me.
Awesome; I thought you were older though lol

Old 01-09-2011, 10:58 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Yeah, that is true, also. But, at least there is a lot to see. It's a fun drive.
yeah, if you're heading into the city. but heading west, it starts to get boring the minute you're outside the beltway

Old 01-09-2011, 11:01 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
yeah, if you're heading into the city. but heading west, it starts to get boring the minute you're outside the beltway
I'mma get a ticket driving on Katy Frwy one day. Once I get on that road and see all those lanes; I get in the zone and floor it lol

Old 01-09-2011, 11:04 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,772,850 times
WOW! I just turned 19.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:53 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,602,619 times
Quote:
Because the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex is larger in population? Yeah when it comes to urbanity, the boundaries don't make a difference at all. Its blatantly wrong to say "we're the larger city by population or we're the larger metropolitan area, therefore we're more urban" because that is far from the truth.
Urbanity is the build up around the core region of your metropolitan area, and how cohesive and consistent it can stay.

Quote:
I know right? I turn 20 in August.

Hardly, though. And according to the Census estimates for 2009, DFW is only 580K ahead of Houston (for the MSA). Houston gained more new residents (domestic + international migration), but DFW had a higher natural increase, so it's overall growth was higher. As far as growth rate, they aren't even a full percentage apart.

As far as big city feel, out of the big four in the South, I'd say Houston comes out on top. The entire metro area revolves around it and it shows. Houston's Inner Loop is the largest urban core in the South (95 square miles and over 600K people). It's easily the largest urban core in Texas by a mile. Miami feels more urban around the usual spots, but outside, it's doesn't feel as big. Atlanta is built like Houston (hub and spoke system), and it's metro area revolves around it. DFW feels like a big collection of different cities. Once you leave Dallas, you don't feel like you're in Dallas anymore. Driving through Dallas and Fort Worth feels like you're driving through two completely different areas, so it's almost impossible to even get that big city feel.

As corny as that line sounds, I've heard it before. I've had relatives from small town Louisiana say they hate driving in Houston because the freeways are too big.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
does he sound like an old coot??

lol I am just a couple of years older than Danny, Jluke and Scarface, but it seems like I am ancient
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Youngster. Being 20 is so last year. Keep up.

Awesome; I thought you were older though lol
Quote:
WOW! I just turned 19.

I know HtownLove and myself are ancient compared to yall in age. I would have thought that all of yall would have been older going by all of your great and educated posts. I can't rep right now because I have done to much in last 24 hours. But when I can, +1 and then some to all of you. P.S., Houston is the best!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City