Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most walkable sunbelt cities
Atlanta 36 25.90%
Austin 25 17.99%
Albuquerque 5 3.60%
Orlando 4 2.88%
Charleston 38 27.34%
Miami 30 21.58%
Dallas 15 10.79%
Houston 18 12.95%
Las Vegas 10 7.19%
Memphis 11 7.91%
LA 49 35.25%
Miami 26 18.71%
New Orleans 65 46.76%
Columbia 4 2.88%
Phoenix 6 4.32%
San Diego 29 20.86%
Birmingham 6 4.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 10:56 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Yeah Miami is not that walkable on the whole and yes I put LA, San Diego, San Jose, Oakland, San Francisco, and Long Beach all over Miami in a heartbeat.
I meant of the large cities(IE the anchor of their metros). If we're including any and ALL cities in the metro, than I'd generally agree with your list of CA cities over Miami. Of the larger CA cities that you posted, I already stated that LA, SF, and SD(Arguably) are over Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 11:00 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I meant of the large cities(IE the anchor of their metros). If we're including any and ALL cities in the metro, than I'd generally agree with your list of CA cities over Miami.
San Jose anchors its own metro, you could say. Oakland and San Francisco both do too, they share equal pie like Dallas and Fort Worth or Minneapolis and Saint Paul. LA and San Diego obviously do. I think the only one that was a stretch was Long Beach IMO.

Miami has walkable parts but I've attempted living there for a few months and just spent a week in Dallas a few weeks back and TBH there was very little difference. Both have walkable pedestrian friendly downtowns and surrounding areas but once out of those areas those sidewalks become patchy, narrow, and in some cases just disappear right before your very eyes leaving you standing on grass. For large cities I think of these two as equals, I haven't been to Atlanta and don't know Houston well to compare them but I don't think Miami is in a tier with bad cities, they're all improving right? That's all that matters really.

San Diego is much more consistent than either of those two southern cities. Which is why I put it higher and I've lived in San Diego btw.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:01 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Of the cities in the polls, I'd say:

1.SF
2.LA
3.NO
4.Charleston
5.SD

Old 10-11-2012, 11:06 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Honestly I don't really think LA is in the Sun Belt, San Diego might be but even it is stretch. San Francisco? No way.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:09 PM

14 posts, read 9,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
San Jose anchors its own metro, you could say. Oakland and San Francisco both do too, they share equal pie like Dallas and Fort Worth or Minneapolis and Saint Paul. LA and San Diego obviously do. I think the only one that was a stretch was Long Beach IMO.

Miami has walkable parts but I've attempted living there for a few months and just spent a week in Dallas a few weeks back and TBH there was very little difference. Both have walkable pedestrian friendly downtowns and surrounding areas but once out of those areas those sidewalks become patchy, narrow, and in some cases just disappear right before your very eyes leaving you standing on grass. For large cities I think of these two as equals, I haven't been to Atlanta and don't know Houston well to compare them but I don't think Miami is in a tier with bad cities, they're all improving right? That's all that matters really.

San Diego is much more consistent than either of those two southern cities. Which is why I put it higher and I've lived in San Diego btw.
But the same can be said of San Diego, I remember many neighborhoods where there was no sidewalks.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:26 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
The argument against " sprawling cities" is that they're too large in size to be walkable in their totality. Why should they be though? In L.A.'s case, if it were a census designated urbanized area, it would be the 11th most populous in the country. How many urbanized areas do you know are walkable from top to bottom? Few, is any. The New Orleans CSA is only 1.2 million and isn't close to being completely walkable.

Lets compare the walkscores of NO to the Central Los Angeles region of L.A. County. This is more of an apples to apples comparison. Central L.A. covers the same land area as the city of Boston, and is home to 830,000+ people.

New Orleans (180 sq miles)
Above 90: 6,091
Above 80: 37,699
Above 70: 125,581

Central Los Angeles (58 sq miles)
Above 90: 127,736
Above 80: 489,128
Above 70: 674,964

Old 10-11-2012, 05:43 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
RC, that is true... but New Orleans core is more walkable than anywhere in LA though, have you been there? "Walkable" isn't all about walk score and packing people in buildings via a higher population, it's about narrow often one lane one way streets, dense housing stock, no front yards, jay walking, anti car oriented and sidewalks. It's as compact if not more so than San Francisco, just not as built up high and of course less amenities, but you can definitely walk and bike around there with ease.

wyn peters

asergeev

desert librarian

from larger, to brought in, notice the street widths...
Marigny, French Quarter, CBD, Iberville, Uptown all have "walkscores" from 85-94 anyhow, which I still don't think means that much b/c it's based off a range of amenities people can walk to, not how easy it is to walk around on foot. New Orleans is a liquor store corner store type of place, not strip malls, targets, or big grocery stores.

Last edited by grapico; 10-11-2012 at 06:04 PM..

Old 10-11-2012, 05:46 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
New Orleans core is more walkable than anywhere in LA though, have you been there? It isn't all about walk score and packing people in buildings, it's about narrow often one lane streets, dense housing stock and sidewalks. It's as compact if not more so than San Francisco, just not as built up high and of course less amenities, but you can definitely walk and bike around there with ease.

The core of New Orleans is very walkable and even though the outer neighborhoods like the Garden District are pretty low density, they have a pretty walkable quality to them. At least I had no problem walking all over the core of the city and it was like 100 degrees with 95% humidity (it ended up pouring half the time). One thing it definitely has going for it over LA is narrower streets throughout the core.

I wouldn't say there is nowhere in LA as walkable as the core of New Orleans though, I think Downtown LA is a pretty good example. Not in the city but Santa Monica is as well.

Actually both cities are similar in that they pack in SFH about as tight as possible but have very different architecture styles.

One thing though, I would imagine there are more parts of New Orleans that lack sidewalks, outside of the steepest hillside streets that is a rare occurrence in Los Angeles.

Last edited by munchitup; 10-11-2012 at 05:56 PM..

Old 10-11-2012, 05:52 PM

814 posts, read 1,474,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
The argument against " sprawling cities" is that they're too large in size to be walkable in their totality. Why should they be though? In L.A.'s case, if it were a census designated urbanized area, it would be the 11th most populous in the country. How many urbanized areas do you know are walkable from top to bottom? Few, is any. The New Orleans CSA is only 1.2 million and isn't close to being completely walkable.

Lets compare the walkscores of NO to the Central Los Angeles region of L.A. County. This is more of an apples to apples comparison. Central L.A. covers the same land area as the city of Boston, and is home to 830,000+ people.

New Orleans (180 sq miles)
Above 90: 6,091
Above 80: 37,699
Above 70: 125,581

Central Los Angeles (58 sq miles)
Above 90: 127,736
Above 80: 489,128
Above 70: 674,964
Isn't walkscore kind of an unreliable source? I mean Metairie and Gretna which are suburbs of New Orleans have a higher walkscore than the city but anybody who knows anything about the area will tell you that they are not nearly as walkable as New Orleans. Also the New Orleans urban area is actually pretty dense. I remember that before Hurricane Katrina it was about 200 square miles with 1 million people, not that that really means anything about walkability. But a lot of New Orleans is walkable. Many parts were built before the automobile and only have on street parking. Many parts have multi-family houses that are close together with the houses right up against the sidewalk or near the sidewalk. There are many shopping/restuarant corridors spread throughout the city and then your nieghborhood stores. Also the city is actually about 80 square miles since a lot of the land to the right is undeveloped. But I also will say that there are some suburban parts in the city limits with ranch houses (but they are still extremely close together).

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 10-11-2012 at 06:16 PM..

Old 10-11-2012, 06:25 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
I wouldn't say its unreliable...the top 5 "walkable" cities according to their formula are NYC, SF, BO'S, CHI, and PHI. Few, if any, will argue with that list.

Grapico, your pictures are nice, but how much area of land are we looking at there? It looks small, arguably smaller than DTLA, which is roughly 3 sq miles (using walkscore's boundaries). People underestimate its size.

As for amenities, I have to disagree, I think they're critically important. Getting to a restaurant/bar/supermarket/shop quickly and efficiently is the most practical purpose of walkability. That trumps pleasantness in importance, by far.

Nearly 500k Angelenos in the Central L.A. region live in walkscores above 80. That's superb, and completely debunks the myth that everything in L.A. is completely spread and difficult to get to.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 10-11-2012 at 06:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City