Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 02:33 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,067,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wqh595 View Post
So far it looks like I'm leaning towards a move to Seattle. But I really think I should visit both and see them for myself.
Anything I should keep in mind while visiting Atlanta and Seattle?
Yes. I just got back from a two week stay in Seattle (on business) and while I love the city and scenery, I can't deal with the perpetual overcast. After a week and a half, I was actually starting to get a little depressed because of the weather. I was there for two weeks and there was only one sunny day. I don't know how people there deal with it! Maybe that's why there are so many coffee shops there... The weather is cold and drab and coffee is warm and wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 02:52 PM

102 posts, read 179,374 times
Actually, if you look at the racial breakdown of both cities (proper), Seattle has a more diverse mix of people. I think a good amount of you are mixing up diversity as "anything but white people" which is crap and you all know it.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:08 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeBobSnakePants View Post
Actually, if you look at the racial breakdown of both cities (proper), Seattle has a more diverse mix of people. I think a good amount of you are mixing up diversity as "anything but white people" which is crap and you all know it.
Not only does Atlanta have more "non whites" than Seattle but the Blacks in Atlanta are actually from all over the world. Seattle has a larger percent of Asians but given Metro Atlanta's larger size it's overall Asian numbers are comparative or greater than Seattle's. Add to this the fact that a very large number (probably the majority) of people both black and white in Atlanta hail from points all over the United States or abroad and you will find that Atlanta is extremely diverse.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Not only does Atlanta have more "non whites" than Seattle but the Blacks in Atlanta are actually from all over the world. Seattle has a larger percent of Asians but given Metro Atlanta's larger size it's overall Asian numbers are comparative or greater than Seattle's. Add to this the fact that a very large number (probably the majority) of people both black and white in Atlanta hail from points all over the United States or abroad and you will find that Atlanta is extremely diverse.
I'm not saying Atlanta isn't diverse, I'm just saying that Seattle seems to have a more even mix of ethnicities across the board. ATL is 90% white and black alone, Seattle is about 82% white and black.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:36 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
They both have all of the big city amenities but Seattle's beauty can't be beat.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:22 PM

86 posts, read 121,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeBobSnakePants View Post
I'm not saying Atlanta isn't diverse, I'm just saying that Seattle seems to have a more even mix of ethnicities across the board. ATL is 90% white and black alone, Seattle is about 82% white and black.
"White" and "black" are pretty ambiguous labels. Saying Atlanta is mostly "white" and "black" does not really mean anything.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:16 AM

260 posts, read 757,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post

The amount of Asians in the Seattle Metro .is still significantly higher than the amount of Asians in the Atlanta Metro. The majority of people living in Seattle is people not from Seattle. Seattle also has more people born in other countries than in Atlanta. You will find that Atlanta is extremely diverse, but Seattle has more of a mixed bag of diversity.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLSuperfriend View Post
"White" and "black" are pretty ambiguous labels. Saying Atlanta is mostly "white" and "black" does not really mean anything.
Given the shallow context of most of these "Atlanta Versus the Universe" type threads, I'm surprised that wasn't sufficient for you.

Anyway, congrats on the Carribean and African (black) migrants, oh how I wish I lived in Atlanta so I could hear 20 languages everyday.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:03 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,101 times
Funny how folks clam the weather in Seattle is so bad. I suggest the next time you're dying of the heat and humidity come June no less, you'd gladly trade for a 70 degree, no humidity and no bugs day.

It's all a give and take and it's all relative. If you like what Atlanta has to offer, so be it.

Seattle, like Atlanta offers the typical amenities and things you'd expect from a big city.

But the two biggest differences are simple in my view.

Food
Outdoor living

Seattle's access to fresh locally grown and raised food in unsurpassed. Whether it's the locally grown fruits and vegetables, local wines, microbrewed beers, the amazing array of Pacific Seafood, or the meats raised locally, it beats anywhere else in the country my view.

Take a stroll through the Pike Place Market. The locally grown food provides an orgy for the senses.

And the outdoor splendor PWRight1 so often demonstrates with his great pics so close to the city is nothing short of magnificent. 3 National Parks are less than 60 miles as the crow flies from Seattle. Real National Parks, not Monuments.

It all adds to the quality of life. Consistently Seattle is ranked as one of the healthiest cities in the country. It's not an accident.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:32 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlefanatic View Post
The amount of Asians in the Seattle Metro .is still significantly higher than the amount of Asians in the Atlanta Metro. The majority of people living in Seattle is people not from Seattle. Seattle also has more people born in other countries than in Atlanta. You will find that Atlanta is extremely diverse, but Seattle has more of a mixed bag of diversity.
I think the last point is highly debatable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City