Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 10:13 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_golf_guy View Post
I have to disagree. Atlanta has horrible traffic. I have seen it ranked up with Los Angeles.

Also, MARTA is not a good transit system. The heavy rail segment does have high ridership in that category for 2 reasons: most cities don't have heavy rail instead of light rail so it is in a smaller subset of systems. Second, connecting the busiest airport to downtown Atlanta boosts the ridership.

Outside of that the system is trash based on meaningful metrics. How many jobs are accessible by transit in Metro Atlanta? How many rapid and express buses serve commuters?

Then answer that and understand my assesment of MARTA.
Yes sir, MARTA does suck and traffic is horrible in Atlanta, that was part of the reason I didn't move to Atlanta from Kentucky and moved to Nashville. Despite that Atlanta is an awesome city in every way especially the bars and nightclubs. I like the outgoing people in Atlanta as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 05:51 PM

214 posts, read 300,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Yes sir, MARTA does suck and traffic is horrible in Atlanta, that was part of the reason I didn't move to Atlanta from Kentucky and moved to Nashville. Despite that Atlanta is an awesome city in every way especially the bars and nightclubs. I like the outgoing people in Atlanta as well.
Thank you. I love Atlanta.

My wife was born there and 90% of her family live there. There are many awesome things about it. To me, the transit/ traffic and muggy Summers are not.

We have always had great experiences there.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:56 PM

214 posts, read 300,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Let's be real though...if you're visiting Atlanta, why would you need to go out to the suburbs? MARTA covers all of the major destinations and most of the interesting neighborhoods in the city. I'll take Atlanta's current transit situation over Seattle's anyday.
When we go we either stay downtown or with family in the trap zone so I wouldn't want to take the bus on Cleveland Ave.

My point is that for my lifestyle I value transit that can get me to work. I have a post a few pages back that links to the study I am referring to about transit and how Atlanta doesn't rank that well nationally.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:46 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
When we go we either stay downtown or with family in the trap zone so I wouldn't want to take the bus on Cleveland Ave.

My point is that for my lifestyle I value transit that can get me to work. I have a post a few pages back that links to the study I am referring to about transit and how Atlanta doesn't rank that well nationally.
That's mainly because MARTA rail doesn't go out to Cobb and Gwinnett counties, which is a deficiency. However it hits most of the major employment centers of the metro (downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, Perimeter) and the airport, and plans are underway to to extend it up to Alpharetta.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:08 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,554 times
Quote:
Let me keep it simple.

MARTA has somewhat high ridership as it connects downtown Atlanta to the busiest airport in the USA. Outside of that line the ridership isn't anything to brag about.

There have been studies done to determine how many jobs are accessible by transit within 20 to 30 minutes and guess how Metro Atlanta ranked there? Well behind the other leading metros including Seattle.

It could be worse, but don't kid yourself and pretend it's one of the top transit systems in the country.

I enjoy visiting Atlanta but transit is not one thing it excels at.
The airport only carries about 12,000 per day. The busiest station is 5 points which has about 50,000 riders per day. So no the airport does not give it a huge boost. Marta is successful because it hits all the key areas of the city. All the big business districts airport sports arenas tourist areas and shopping areas....

Old 04-25-2015, 10:09 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
The airport only carries about 12,000 per day. The busiest station is 5 points which has about 50,000 riders per day. So no the airport does not give it a huge boost. Marta is successful because it hits all the key areas of the city. All the big business districts airport sports arenas tourist areas and shopping areas....
You said it the way I was trying to explain it.Why he thinks airport to downtown is where the numbers comes from is udd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City