Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 01:25 AM

408 posts, read 581,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Sooo few Black people there to start though..like 5%. I wouldn’t/wouldn’t have
5% of 5 million people is plenty of color for some and its close to 300k in total, so its really not that extreme when you look at it that way. It really comes down to what you want out of life and your values in AZ and most people don't get wrapped up statistics before they move out here.

Yes, its not as high as legacy places like LA, Oakland or high percentage like Sacramento or Las Vegas, but they economy and QOL is much higher than many can afford on those places (minus Vegas) hence the crazy growth as people are starting to recognize a good thing when they see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 01:43 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
I'd also imagine that a place like Phoenix could be refreshing for some Black people in that it doesn't have the historical racial baggage that even some other Western cities, not to mention Northern and Southern cities, have. That hardly means it's a utopia but that aspect of living there has its benefits I would assume.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:24 AM

408 posts, read 581,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd also imagine that a place like Phoenix could be refreshing for some Black people in that it doesn't have the historical racial baggage that even some other Western cities, not to mention Northern and Southern cities, have. That hardly means it's a utopia but that aspect of living there has its benefits I would assume.
Right. That's ironically why people love it, or in other cases dislike Phoenix. I have noticed a trend for "chains" in other popular black cities have made their way to the Valley, such as Harolds Chicken Shack - a Chicago fried chicken staple has a space on 16th and Baseline in South Phoenix. LoLos a national chicken and waffle restaurant homegrown in PHX, has locations across AZ, CA, NV and now in Dallas.
The entrepreneurship is surprisingly strong for blacks in the region compared to its actual metro wide percentage. Most of my fellow black friends in AZ are all doing quite well for themselves...some being homeowners, while others going back fourth between LA collecting CA money and living comfortably in AZ. Its a really good setup to be had.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:49 AM

700 posts, read 422,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
Atlanta in my opinion. Many other cities with high populations of blacks are either poor (Detroit), segregated (Milwaukee), or very high crime (St. Louis).

For me, it comes down to either Chicago, DC, Philly or Atlanta. I’ll go with Atlanta because I think black people have the highest chance at success there.
Atlanta has a lot of poor areas, segregation and is technically considered one of the more high crime cities for US standards.

So I don’t agree with those evaluations you put rating the other cities.

Old 04-22-2020, 03:34 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
Atlanta has a lot of poor areas, segregation and is technically considered one of the more high crime cities for US standards.

So I don’t agree with those evaluations you put rating the other cities.
He was certainly oversimplifying things. The fact of the matter is that due to historical structural issues in this country, any city with a large Black population will have those negative aspects present to some degree or another. However, all places don't have the positive Black aspects, or at least not to the same degree, that a city like Atlanta has. As major Great Migration destinations, Detroit and St. Louis do have some of those positive aspects despite the issues their Black communities have had to deal with in the postwar/post-Civil Rights Movement era. As far as Milwaukee goes, it is pretty much the worst city in the country for Black folks statistically speaking with not nearly as many noteworthy characteristics to speak of.

Old 04-22-2020, 05:44 AM

5,826 posts, read 5,635,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is surprising to hear you say as I assumed most people had heard of racism for blacks in Phoenix, but I guess my knowledge of it is just reflective of who I've been around. I mean you don't exactly have to dig hard to find accounts of this in Phoenix:

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...arizona-racist

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...oenix-11374235

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...er/4197040002/

I assumed everyone knew this though or at least heard about it. The reality is there is no escaping racism as black men and women in America. We try to find our little corner where the positives outweigh the negatives and create happy lives for ourselves. I guess to some people they may have a perception that Phoenix doesn't have the racial issues of other places, but that directly contradicts reported accounts in Phoenix and I think there are plenty of people who know that Phoenix is like everywhere else...

Old 04-22-2020, 06:04 AM

2,657 posts, read 2,101,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
This is surprising to hear you say as I assumed most people had heard of racism for blacks in Phoenix, but I guess my knowledge of it is just reflective of who I've been around. I mean you don't exactly have to dig hard to find accounts of this in Phoenix:

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...arizona-racist

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...oenix-11374235

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...er/4197040002/

I assumed everyone knew this though or at least heard about it. The reality is there is no escaping racism as black men and women in America. We try to find our little corner where the positives outweigh the negatives and create happy lives for ourselves. I guess to some people they may have a perception that Phoenix doesn't have the racial issues of other places, but that directly contradicts reported accounts in Phoenix and I think there are plenty of people who know that Phoenix is like everywhere else...
Precisely. There will always be bigotry in this country no matter where a Black person chose to live. At this point that factor should be irrelevant in chosing a city.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:27 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Precisely. There will always be bigotry in this country no matter where a Black person chose to live. At this point that factor should be irrelevant in chosing a city.
I feel you... but in reality no one would agree with this part though.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:29 AM

5,826 posts, read 5,635,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
I don't think it should be irrelevant, I just think you have to use your best judgement in determining where you live in relation to racism. Some places are worse than others...

Old 04-22-2020, 06:50 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I don't think it should be irrelevant, I just think you have to use your best judgement in determining where you live in relation to racism. Some places are worse than others...
What's most important is just keeping an open mind and doing some research on a place so you have an up to date understanding of demographics and race relations.

At the end of the day if you've got 150k+ black people in any given urban area there must be some nice places and positive attributes. They're not all being held hostage literally or figuratively speaking. Even in Milwaukee. Im sure theres a lot to like and you could carve out a nice life as a black person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City