Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following is your favorite city in the Midwest?
Chicago 51 34.93%
Detroit 9 6.16%
Indianapolis 7 4.79%
Columbus 3 2.05%
Milwaukee 6 4.11%
Kansas City 10 6.85%
St. Louis 16 10.96%
Cleveland 9 6.16%
Minneapolis 18 12.33%
Cincinnati 5 3.42%
Madison 4 2.74%
Des Moines 3 2.05%
Wichita 2 1.37%
Lincoln 2 1.37%
Springfield 1 0.68%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 01:35 PM

976 posts, read 2,241,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
It's going to be you against the world on this one, so enjoy the uphill battle. I was just trying to set you straight before you made a fool of yourself but it's too late now. Enjoy digging yourself out of this one!
uphill battle? digging myself out of a whole? for saying i think chicago is a friendly city? oh boy. nevertheless, you still failed to address any of my responses.

Quote:
Are you a doctor?
not yet. i'm a med student.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 01:58 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
uphill battle? digging myself out of a whole? for saying i think chicago is a friendly city? oh boy. nevertheless, you still failed to address any of my responses.

not yet. i'm a med student.
You didn't ask me any questions, so what am I responding to? I don't care to argue with you because it's easier to sit back and let you rant about stuff you don't know anything about. It's such a lopsided argument that it'd be unfair if I really got engaged with this. Someone else may though....

So you're a med student and you're trying to explain to everyone that you have no fear of rough urban neighborhoods because you went to school in Temple and live in St. Louis??? This must be an East Coast snob thing. You don't have to fear the area if that makes you feel secure, but at least recognize a tough area when you see one. As a doctor I'd expect you to have the wherewithall and common sense to know things like that.....but maybe that's why you're a med STUDENT and not a doctor -- doctors are usually perceptive.

All I said was that Chicago is historically and stilll is a very tough city. That doesn't mean Chicagoans arean't nice, some are, but in my experience Chicago is a tough, aggressive city. And I don't mean tough like taking Organic Chemistry at Temple University. You sound like you've had a lot of positive and passive experiences in the northern suburbs, which really doesn't surprise anybody. As someone who has lived there, has most of my family there and has visited more times than you, I feel that your perception may be a little biased to the Northern suburbs. You can't experience what you see in the O/R or your car what you can face to face. Try it sometime -- you may figure out what I'm talking about.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:01 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
I honestly doubt the majority of people who voted in this poll know very much about any of these cities except Chicago...This thread was destined to be an obvious Chicago victory.
Are you joking?? He's asking for the best place to raise a family. Are you seriously arguing that the Chicago ghettos are the best place to raise a family?

Chicago is the murder capital of the country, and has the nation's worst big-city schools. I would imagine most families would prefer places like Madison and Ann Arbor to the Chicago slums.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:04 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Are you joking?? He's asking for the best place to raise a family. Are you seriously arguing that the Chicago ghettos are the best place to raise a family?

Chicago is the murder capital of the country, and has the nation's worst big-city schools. I would imagine most families would prefer places like Madison and Ann Arbor to the Chicago slums.
Well according to Slengal it's full of midwestern farmers who are nice and friendly. But Chicago is not all slums and you're generalizing. It's a fine place to raise a family but not if you can't handle a bigger city.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:05 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post

Chicago is the murder capital of the country.
Factually incorrect.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Well according to Slengal it's full of midwestern farmers who are nice and friendly. But Chicago is not all slums and you're generalizing. It's a fine place to raise a family but not if you can't handle a bigger city.
Obviously I'm generalizing, and not all of Chicago is slums. There are nice neighborhoods, like there are in all big cities. Even Detroit has many nice neighborhoods.

The point is that most of Chicago consists of slums, and cities like Ann Arbor and Madison have no slums. I am willing to bet most families would prefer to live in these cities over a typical Chicago neighborhood.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Factually incorrect.
Most years this is correct.

Chicago has the most murders in most years, though it sometimes varies.

And keep in mind that Chicago has 2.8 million folks, and NYC has 8.4 million folks.

So basically Chicago is 3-4 times as dangerous as other big cities.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:09 PM

so let me get this straight, min-chi-bus-- it is not possible for two different people to have two different opinions about the same city? i see. you have family in chicago so that makes your opinion of it more credible than mine? i don't get that. i also have family in chicago: ukranian village and pilsen.

i just will let your juvenile responses to my posts speak for themselves: you feel that my opinions of chicago are "wrong" because i consider it a friendly city and you don't. you say, "that doesn't mean chicagoans aren't nice, some are, but in my experience chicago is a tough, aggressive city." i say just the opposite. guess what? we're both right. because we both encounter different people there and we both have different perspectives and observations.

i tend to think the majority of chicagoans i've encountered are very friendly and helpful and approachable. i still don't understand why you take that as an insult. you sound like you're in high school, my friend.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
don't put words in my mouth. one does not need to be a farmer to be friendly. you are sounding really desperate. stop now.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:18 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
I think its funny that there are people on here who like to bas on chicago saying its too ghetto and slummy and needs to get rid of that but then there are people who are saying its a nice midwestern town full of farmboys.

mas23
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City