Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Thoughts?
They do extensively have a unique vibe, probably something that cant be replicated elsewhere 41 95.35%
They don't, and I don't understand why they are brought up as so either! 2 4.65%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:29 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
In addition, the only thing I can add is the food element. I can't speak for New England, except clam chowder perhaps, but the South has its very own rendition of food associated with the region that is more than just a dish.
Don't forget the New England clam bake!

Mussels, steamers, lobsters, crab, some chowder, little bit of corn on the cob, lotta bit of beer....I just came a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 11:32 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Anyone can love a cosmopolitan city- It's overrated.
When you get in the historic, charming towns/cities in the original 13, there's a unique vibe in many of them. The average person tends to be more down to earth and less materialistic. The downtowns in these small cities/towns are what get me- They aren't overrun with chain restaurants/shops and traffic- they're historic, walkable and the people are more laid back. Overall I think the towns in the NE/SE have better groomed yards- The vegetation is beautiful.

The combination of history, vegetation, and sense of community that surrounds you is something you just have to appreciate.
I'm not certain I totally agree with your post, but it does have it's merits. I find it funny though that some people (not you) will often only mention New England and other Northeast states when talking about those towns...when forgetting that the South was a part of the original 13 too. The big cities may be different north to south in the East but, the small towns (particularly those that date back to colonial times) have a lot of similarities.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:30 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I'm not certain I totally agree with your post, but it does have it's merits. I find it funny though that some people (not you) will often only mention New England and other Northeast states when talking about those towns...when forgetting that the South was a part of the original 13 too. The big cities may be different north to south in the East but, the small towns (particularly those that date back to colonial times) have a lot of similarities.
Of course.
I haven't had the opportunity to visit many small historic towns in the south, but I know there's plenty. Charleston is a prime example- It's not "a small town" or anything, but Providence and Charleston have their small city "historic charm" very much in tact. I'm bringing up Charleston because I've been there.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:55 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Don't forget the New England clam bake!

Mussels, steamers, lobsters, crab, some chowder, little bit of corn on the cob, lotta bit of beer....I just came a little.
That does indeed look quite tasteful. I thought we held the title of supreme food in the South, but it seems like New England can hold it down.

FWIW and to expose my own ignorance, I did not know corn on the cob was up north.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:54 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
That does indeed look quite tasteful. I thought we held the title of supreme food in the South, but it seems like New England can hold it down.

FWIW and to expose my own ignorance, I did not know corn on the cob was up north.
Can a' brown bread, beans, and a Moxie, kid.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:57 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Can a' brown bread, beans, and a Moxie, kid.
Moxie?

Old 09-16-2010, 08:32 AM

2,723 posts, read 6,108,256 times
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/10/Moxiecan.jpg (broken link)

Moxie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally I'm not a fan.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:11 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post

Moxie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally I'm not a fan.
I prefer some Harpoon myself

Old 09-16-2010, 09:20 AM

624 posts, read 905,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Of course.
I haven't had the opportunity to visit many small historic towns in the south, but I know there's plenty. Charleston is a prime example- It's not "a small town" or anything, but Providence and Charleston have their small city "historic charm" very much in tact. I'm bringing up Charleston because I've been there.
Visit Savannah they have one of the largest historic districts in the nation.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:49 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
Visit Savannah they have one of the largest historic districts in the nation.
I've been wanting to visit Savannah for a while now. I've driven through it, but didn't spend a credible amount of time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City