Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 01:27 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,930,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
The whole Delaware Valley (Greater Philadelphia) has a lot of really bad blight, my city of Wilmington, DE included. Though I will say from personal experience that the absolute worst city in the region (and potentially a national candidate) is Chester, PA. Good grief that city is bombed out beyond belief. It's been on Pennsylvania's financially distressed municaplity list for over twenty years, and despite the best attempts at gentrification/economic stimulus (Widener University, Harrah's racino, Talon Energy Stadium), it just isn't happening. Here's a photo link to the main downtown area:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheste...the_States.JPG

Just a sad situation there overall, with both the economy and the high crime rate. Boarded up windows, liquor bottles/needles in the street, and graffiti everywhere. Many people are shocked when they attend Union games that a fairly new soccer stadium Union (Talon Energy Stadium) is surrounded by such blight. I hope that city is able to get its act together (and a lot of small municipalites in the region, really. Marcus Hook, Trainer and Claymont aren't terrible, but they've got some notable blight, too.)
I just had a quick look at Chester, PA on streetview and yes it looks very rough, economically depressed, and is high crime but it does not nearly look as bombed out to me as Camden, NJ or Delray, Detroit or Cairo, IL or Gary, IN, parts of St. Louis or East St. Louis. Maybe I've just missed out on the really bad parts of Chester. It seems to me that Chester is still largely inhabited, unlike other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 02:08 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Rochester!

YouTube - Rochester: A City of Poverty

What a joke. That video only showcases the bad areas of the city. There are bad parts of EVERY city. Back on topic though, Camden (at least right now, it could change) probably has the worst ghettos in the country. That or St. Louis. Watch this video. Literally NOTHING in sight...

That video only shows a couple boarded up houses and adult video stores. Lol. That is nothing.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:09 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty-Mill View Post
Cities in the rust belt have the most urban decay and urban decay can be quite beautiful.
Paradoxically if you don't have to live there, that can be true.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:57 PM

6,723 posts, read 6,722,163 times
Baltimore

They need to bulldoze more of their abandoned buildings like Detroit's been doing.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:39 AM

77 posts, read 165,389 times
Worst looking ghettos?? People who make these have never lived in the ghetto. They all look bad. Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore, Oakland, Memphis, St Louis, Newark, Philly have to be the most dangerous feeling large cities. When your in these cities even riding through the hood gives u a crazy feeling. In most cities walking through might be scary but not riding through. Small cities to me always feel safer unless they really are just an extension of a larger city ie Camden and Wilmington to Philly or East St Louis to St Louis.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:23 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,174,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
That's so sad that city officials let these cities get in such horrible condition. I've never been to Chester PA but I did live in Camden for a year in their Ronald McDonald house next to Cooper Hospital while my twin girls were in the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. I can't believe anywhere would be as bad as Camden, but if Chester is worse then all I gotta say is...wow. However, I will give Camden some credit, the waterfront area with the baseball stadium and aquarium is very nice. It's just a shame that the rest of the city is in ruins.
Yes, Camden is very bad as well, though I think it's made some progress since the county took over policing duties (not much, but something). It's statistically less violent than Chester these days. And the two things Camden has going for it over Chester are:

a) Its proximity to Philadelphia and wealthy NJ suburbs like Cherry Hill. Gentrification will come much quicker, as people and businesses will take advantage of its location and lower real estate values. The waterfront is already in the throes of gentrification, what with the 76ers' new training facility and business/residential developments under construction. Chester is comparatively more isolated, and not really surrounded by wealthy communities.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Camden waterfront plan includes offices, parks and shops - philly-archives

Philadelphia 76ers on Camden move: 'We just feel like this is home' | NJ.com

b) It still has some viable corporations invested in it, like Campbell's Soup Company. Besides Campbell's,
Lockheed Martin, Holt Logistics, Subaru of America, WebiMax, and Holtec International are all setting up shop in Camden, due to NJ tax incentives. Not to mention it has Rutgers-Camden, which is part of the umbrella of Rutgers, a reputable university. Contrast this with Chester, which has a racino (not the best way to generate revenue/revatilize depressed populations), a mediocre university and a stadium for a sport that hasn't really taken off yet in the States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I just had a quick look at Chester, PA on streetview and yes it looks very rough, economically depressed, and is high crime but it does not nearly look as bombed out to me as Camden, NJ or Delray, Detroit or Cairo, IL or Gary, IN, parts of St. Louis or East St. Louis. Maybe I've just missed out on the really bad parts of Chester. It seems to me that Chester is still largely inhabited, unlike other cities.
True, but Camden also has twice as many people as Chester. So it's not like both cities are uninhabited (or any of these cities, really). All of the above cities you mentioned are in the same ugly tier, as far as crime, but they're not all the same when it comes to economic "saving graces". Detroit and St. Louis clearly still generate a lot of revenue, and have a lot invested in "fixing" them. It's the cities that don't have saving graces that are truly in the gutter.

Last edited by Yac; 08-04-2016 at 07:01 AM..

Old 08-02-2016, 07:29 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,174,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc919va757sc803 View Post
Worst looking ghettos?? People who make these have never lived in the ghetto. They all look bad. Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore, Oakland, Memphis, St Louis, Newark, Philly have to be the most dangerous feeling large cities. When your in these cities even riding through the hood gives u a crazy feeling. In most cities walking through might be scary but not riding through. Small cities to me always feel safer unless they really are just an extension of a larger city ie Camden and Wilmington to Philly or East St Louis to St Louis.
I wouldn't say Wilmington is just an extension of Philadelphia. While we are a satellite city and heavily influenced by Philly, we are also the largest metro and city for an entire state, with plenty of white collar industry and wealthy suburbs (your Vice President lives here). Additionally, we are renowned for our lax economic and incorporation laws, which distinguishes us nationally. None of the other small cities on the "ghetto list" have these characteristics, which makes Wilmington quite unique.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:31 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,857,845 times
The fascination with ghettos on this forum is getting old.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:47 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,926,968 times
Bridgeport, Waterbury, Hartford, Connecticut

Old 04-02-2021, 10:49 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,217,840 times
I think this thread needs new life

This area (Prichard) isn't as big as other ghetto shown in the thread as this is a suburb city of Mobile Alabama, but it is still pretty rough looking.

https://earth.google.com/web/@30.733...cVVJb2Z1TEEQAg

Although the city might be on the beginning stages of gentrification, as more roads are being/ have been worked on like the road that the picture is taken on. The area is also getting a Starbucks (which is known by some as a sign of gentrification)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City