Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 08:45 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I'll have to say that L.A. is Tier 1 just because every American city (even stereotypical urban New York!) has copied its freeway (or tollway)-fueled suburban sprawl model for the late 20th Century.

Tier 2 is the urban downtowns of Chicago and New York.

Washington D.C. didn't ask for all this importance since it an artificial city like Brasilia almost 200 years later--built for one reason: to house the Federal government.

Tier 3 is the up-and-coming cities of Houston, Philadelphia, and San Francisco.

Really - the first highways and tollways were actually in PA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 10:28 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCJoe View Post
I have a hard time understanding how one would rank LA in the same tier with NY and then leave Chicago out. How is LA that much more important than Chicago? IHO Chicago and LA are far more similar ranking wise than NY and LA.
Some facts I just found about LA:

1. busiest Port in the US
2. More Museums and theaters than any other city in the US
3. entrepreneurial capital of the world.
4.Downtown LA is the largest government center outside of DC
5.The LA five-county area, with more than 134,000 jobs in the fashion industry, has surpassed New York’s fashion district workforce.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:49 AM

179 posts, read 402,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post

5.The LA five-county area, with more than 134,000 jobs in the fashion industry, has surpassed New York’s fashion district workforce.
-Well LA is the busiest port because it's closer to China.
-And while it may have more museums, its quality not quantity.
Check this out: The Ten Best Art Museums in America (http://www.examiner.com/x-898-New-York-Art-Examiner~y2008m9d30-The-Ten-Best-Art-Museums-in-America - broken link)
The only LA museum ranked is the Getty Museum, ranked 8th. 3 NYC museums are ranked - Met (5th), MoMA (3rd), Frick Collection (2nd).
-NYC is the fashion capital of the US, financial capital of the world. It is most important for mass media/journalism and has the second largest tv/film industry in the nation behind hollywood. It also has the most number of fortune 500 companies headquartered there. It's GDP is the highest in the US at 1.2 trillion. It is second behind Tokyo. And almost double Los Angeles' GDP at 796 billion.
I really don't feel like listing all of them.
-NYC also has the most headquarters of fashion designers and retailers than any other city.

I don't really think I need to go on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I'll have to say that L.A. is Tier 1 just because every American city (even stereotypical urban New York!) has copied its freeway (or tollway)-fueled suburban sprawl model for the late 20th Century.

Tier 2 is the urban downtowns of Chicago and New York.

Washington D.C. didn't ask for all this importance since it an artificial city like Brasilia almost 200 years later--built for one reason: to house the Federal government.

Tier 3 is the up-and-coming cities of Houston, Philadelphia, and San Francisco.
So no. LA is not Tier 1. It is Tier 2, along with Chicago, behind NYC.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:10 AM

327 posts, read 569,020 times
[quote=giantsfan11490;15232003]-
Check this out: The Ten Best Art Museums in America (http://www.examiner.com/x-898-New-York-Art-Examiner~y2008m9d30-The-Ten-Best-Art-Museums-in-America - broken link)

So no. LA is not Tier 1. quote]

While I dunno about art museums per se, I have to believe the best museum period is the Smithsonian in Washington D.C. Many/most of our nation's most historic items are on display there. Then in D.C. you have the Mint, the Library of Congress where you can see the original Declaration of Independence, Lincoln, Jefferson and Viet-Nam memorials; you can also visit your Congressman and give him/her a piece of your mind. Just to name a few. Comparing L.A. and D.C. is apples to oranges really. Being this nation's capitol should make it tier 1 - believe me it is nothing like Brasillia. That is not an apt analogy. Whether you like D.C. or not probably depends alot on the types of things you are interested in.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:04 AM

10,110 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan11490 View Post
-Well LA is the busiest port because it's closer to China.
Check this out: The Ten Best Art Museums in America (http://www.examiner.com/x-898-New-York-Art-Examiner%7Ey2008m9d30-The-Ten-Best-Art-Museums-in-America - broken link)
The only LA museum ranked is the Getty Museum, ranked 8th. 3 NYC museums are ranked - Met (5th), MoMA (3rd), Frick Collection (2nd).
-NYC is the fashion capital of the US, financial capital of the world. It is most important for mass media/journalism and has the second largest tv/film industry in the nation behind hollywood. It also has the most number of fortune 500 companies headquartered there. It's GDP is the highest in the US at 1.2 trillion. It is second behind Tokyo. And almost double Los Angeles' GDP at 796 billion.
I really don't feel like listing all of them.
-NYC also has the most headquarters of fashion designers and retailers than any other city.

I don't really think I need to go on.

So no. LA is not Tier 1. It is Tier 2, along with Chicago, behind NYC.
1. LA's having the busiest port because its close to China; It is what it is.
2. Museum rankings are purely based on opinion. Still, LA has the most.
3. London is the financial capital of the World.
5. LA is the 2nd largest manufacturing city behind Chicago, ahead of NYC.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:17 AM

648 posts, read 1,618,866 times
London is no longer the financial capital of the world. Look at the GDP. LA is tier 2. You can sit here and list all your little port crap but it is useless because that is a part of the GDP that LA does not even come close to NY. NY's port has shrunk but other areas of the economy in NY dwarf LA.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:30 AM

179 posts, read 402,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
London is no longer the financial capital of the world. Look at the GDP. LA is tier 2. You can sit here and list all your little port crap but it is useless because that is a part of the GDP that LA does not even come close to NY. NY's port has shrunk but other areas of the economy in NY dwarf LA.
Precisely. And no one is going to dispute the FACT that MoMA/MET/Frick are better than the top museums in LA (Getty).
Wall St. is in NY. Enough said.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:48 AM

638 posts, read 929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post

References would be nice. I find it hard to believe anyone has accurately counted the number of museums in each US city, however when one thinks of cities and museum culture NY and DC usually come to mind. Additionally when speaking of live theatre New York and Chicago (with Chicago obviously coming in second) have been largely considered the live Theater capitals of the US.

Additionally when speaking of fashion, NY long ago lost most of its garment manufacturing industry to cheaper locales globally, however to state that most high fashion design decisions still do not occur there and have in essence migrated to LA is ridiculous. Models and designers still flock in mass to NY.

To conclude the idea that LA is now the second employer for the Federal government is questionable as most sources I have seen still rank Denver as the second federal city (with the highest concentration of federal workers outside of DC).

NY is a behemoth and LA in no way comes close to the overall contribution NY generates.

http://www.infoplease.com/us/cities/best-culture.html

Last edited by WDCJoe; 07-28-2010 at 11:29 AM..

Old 07-28-2010, 11:08 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
Well at this point, London & NYC are tied for financial capital of the world according to the GFCI. I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but GDP has nothing to do with financial services prominence. Assets under management, securities trading, venture capital raised, etc are not included in GDP measures. If it was, New York City would have and even larger gap on the rest of the country in terms of GDP and Boston would probably have the second largest GDP in the country.

Anyway, on topic:

I don't understand Mr.Redd's logic in putting LA & NYC on the same tier. LA's port is larger? Cool. There are more fashion jobs in LA now? AMAZING. That doesn't change the fact that New York's economy is twice as large, is the co-financial capital of the world, and is home to the United Nations. There are 3, maybe 4 cities on the same level as New York City: London, Paris, Tokyo, and maybe Hong Kong (I wouldn't have said that ten years ago though).

My personal rankings:

Tier 1: New York City

Tier 2: Washington DC, Los Angeles, Chicago (with Chicago & LA almost tied)

P.S. I'm pretty sure there are actually far more museums in NYC than there are in LA...I remember someone saying Los Angeles County had more museums than any other county in the country though.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 07-28-2010 at 11:25 AM..

Old 07-28-2010, 01:09 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,520,115 times
Tier 1: New York City

Tier 2: Los Angeles and Chicago

Tier 3: Washington D.C.

NYC is definitely in a class of it's own and LA is not in that. For me, DC is like a threshold. As just a city, DC is below the other three but being what it is sets apart from the others in a way that can't be easily measured at least. I'd give DC it's own "special class", cause in some aspects, it just can't be compared evenly with other cities. Even as just a city though, I think DC is the dividing line between the big three and the rest of the big kids club, Philly, Phoenix, Atlanta, Boston, SF, and all the rest of the "higher ups".

I see how people might wanna put LA in the same tier as NYC. What are we always told, LA is the number two city in the country, just behind NYC. It's not just behind NYC though, people, especially those that haven't been to one or both, don't realize how big a gap there is. LA is number two to NY, but that's in the US, it's the second biggest we have here. If you looked at all the top cities in the world instead of just NY and LA, you'd see how much of a gap there actually is there. I guess I'm saying it's an issue of perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City