Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city offers the best institutions of higher education?
Los Angeles 26 34.67%
Washington D.C. 17 22.67%
New York City 32 42.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 10:37 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times

Advertisements

There really is no scientific way of determining the quality of universities, so going by reputation might be the most effective measure. Which of these three *metros* do you think has the highest quality colleges/universities?

I'm not going to include Baltimore in my definition of D.C. metro, but you may if you wish.

Just the more well-known schools in the areas, but by no means all of them:

Los Angeles: UCLA, USC, Cal Tech, Pepperdine, Claremont schools, UC Irvine (debatable), etc.

Washington D.C.: Georgetown, George Washington, American, Catholic, George Mason, Johns Hopkins SAIS, etc.

New York City: Columbia, NYU, Fordham, Barnard, Pace, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 10:49 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Why these three metros, but not the Bay Area or Greater Boston?

I'll add that New Haven (Yale) and Princeton (Princeton) are both part of NYC's metro, so NYC pretty much wins this without too much sweat. NYC also has a lot of specialized schools that are very well known such as:
Julliard (fine and performing arts)
The New School (does its own thing, and does it quite well, and also includes Parsons)
The Fashion Institute of Technology (fashion)
The Cooper Union (engineering, architecture, arts)
Pratt (architecture, design)
Rockefeller University (biomedical)

The CUNY system has had a pretty illustrious history as well, though it definitely took a big dip in the past few decades. It's back on the rise though.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:01 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times
1. Nyc
2. La
3. Dc

Old 07-12-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Why these three metros, but not the Bay Area or Greater Boston?

I'll add that New Haven (Yale) and Princeton (Princeton) are both part of NYC's metro, so NYC pretty much wins this without too much sweat. NYC also has a lot of specialized schools that are very well known such as:
Julliard (fine and performing arts)
The New School (does its own thing, and does it quite well, and also includes Parsons)
The Fashion Institute of Technology (fashion)
The Cooper Union (engineering, architecture, arts)
Pratt (architecture, design)
Rockefeller University (biomedical)

The CUNY system has had a pretty illustrious history as well, though it definitely took a big dip in the past few decades. It's back on the rise though.
I'm not saying they're the 3 best, I just chose them because I think they're comparable. I think if I included greater Boston in the poll it would have won handedly, so I tried to make it more interesting.

It also seems like a stretch to include Princeton in the NY metro - it's more affiliated with Philly than anywhere else.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:07 AM

Nah, Princeton is officially in BOTH metros. Officially.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:14 AM

Maybe in the giant NY CSA area, but if you're going to do that you have to include Baltimore (Johns Hopkins) with D.C. New Haven is 80 miles from NYC. Is it really fair to say that NY can claim both Princeton and Yale in its metro? That doesn't seem right. You could argue they're in the same "urban area", but New haven and NYC are totally distinct metros, just like Baltimore and D.C.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:32 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
I would say Nyc

Old 07-12-2009, 12:33 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,790 times
If you include those in the NYC metro, you might as well claim all of the Baltimore schools and University of VA in DC's metro which would raise it a lot. UVA is the #2 public university in the country and Johns Hopkins is obviously a top school as well.

Also, University of MD is right outside of DC and is a great school as well.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
If you include those in the NYC metro, you might as well claim all of the Baltimore schools and University of VA in DC's metro which would raise it a lot. UVA is the #2 public university in the country and Johns Hopkins is obviously a top school as well.

Also, University of MD is right outside of DC and is a great school as well.

I'd have no problem including an expanded definition of DC's metro and still declaring NYC the "winner." Any area that has a commuter line to the heart of the city should probably be rolled into the metro region, methinks. However, even if we were to throw out Princeton and Yale, NYC will probably still rank at the top though not nearly as handedly. Depending on what kind of criteria we're using, I might even say NYC metro ranks at the top of the nation above even the Greater Boston area.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:24 AM

I suppose we could just continue sweeping cities together to make gigantic mega-cities, but I think we should keep the metros as localized as possible. Incorporating New Haven into NYC is like grouping Sacramento and San Francisco together.

I think we should keep L.A. metro to L.A. and Orange counties, D.C. to just VA and MD suburbs (not Baltimore) and limit NYC to long island and northern Jersey, those seem like the most plausible definitions of metros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City