Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 10:20 AM

6,345 posts, read 11,109,236 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried the Kroger's store brand of Swedish Meatballs? Happened to see them for the first time while shopping today. I've had IKEA's and surprisingly those are nearly as good as my Mother and Grandmother used to make. Quite authentic for a product that is mass produced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 02:22 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,154,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Has anyone tried the Kroger's store brand of Swedish Meatballs? Happened to see them for the first time while shopping today. I've had IKEA's and surprisingly those are nearly as good as my Mother and Grandmother used to make. Quite authentic for a product that is mass produced.
Jell-O! Gelatin used to be a dish for the richest of the rich because it took a lot of time and a lot of hooves to make. Then comes industrial-scale animal husbandry and next thing you know, "Jello-O" is a dirt cheap dessert for suburban kids everywhere.

Point being, it may be mass produced, but it isn't widely available!

Old 08-27-2017, 02:51 PM

7,829 posts, read 4,575,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
Jell-O! Gelatin used to be a dish for the richest of the rich because it took a lot of time and a lot of hooves to make. Then comes industrial-scale animal husbandry and next thing you know, "Jello-O" is a dirt cheap dessert for suburban kids everywhere.

Another Jell-O product you don't see much anymore...

(Oh settle down, I'm making a funny)

Old 08-27-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post

This is the first time I've seen Swedish Meatballs at Kroger. I will have to try them. Too much time to make them and I don't have any spare time and likely won't for a year.

No they are not widely sold anywhere in the country except IKEA. Not many people of Swedish heritage in this country. Probably less than one percent of the population. Aside from some areas in Minnesota and to a lesser extent other parts of the northern Midwest and a few places in Kansas, New York and New England, you'd hardly notice any kind of presence at all anywhere in the country. They are an acquired taste. Perhaps they will become a bit more popular now that major retailers like IKEA and now Kroger are selling them.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:11 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,985,431 times
Quote:
This is the first time I've seen Swedish Meatballs at Kroger. I will have to try them. Too much time to make them and I don't have any spare time and likely won't for a year.

No they are not widely sold anywhere in the country except IKEA. Not many people of Swedish heritage in this country. Probably less than one percent of the population. Aside from some areas in Minnesota and to a lesser extent other parts of the northern Midwest and a few places in Kansas, New York and New England, you'd hardly notice any kind of presence at all anywhere in the country. They are an acquired taste. Perhaps they will become a bit more popular now that major retailers like IKEA and now Kroger are selling them.

Try the frozen Stouffer's entrée. It's not as good as Ikea's meatballs, but it's not bad.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Try the frozen Stouffer's entrée. It's not as good as Ikea's meatballs, but it's not bad.
Is that a full meal or just Meatballs? Not sure if they have those at my local Kroger. They do have a Kroger brand of Swedish Meatballs.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:49 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,985,431 times
Quote:
Is that a full meal or just Meatballs? Not sure if they have those at my local Kroger. They do have a Kroger brand of Swedish Meatballs.

It's meatballs, sauce and noodles. When you can pick them up on sale for around $1.88, which is every few weeks, they're a good value. Many Kroger stores carry them, but maybe not all do.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:07 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,502,126 times
Quote:
It's meatballs, sauce and noodles. When you can pick them up on sale for around $1.88, which is every few weeks, they're a good value. Many Kroger stores carry them, but maybe not all do.

After your post I was looking at them and the other Stouffers' offerings. The meatballs and noodles look pretty good. I'll have to try them. I'm getting a little burned out on the Salisbury Steak and the Meatloaf.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I will see if they carry them. Question again. What kind of sauce are the Meatballs residing? I know when my Mother and Grandmother made them they just used the juices from the aftermath of cooking and added a little flour but nothing more. Usually they were served without any real gravy. But IKEA seems to market a white sauce for them but I have not tried it since they were not served that way at home. Just curious...

I think the Kroger store brand is probably sauce free. Will pick some up this weekend to try. And if I see the Stouffers I will give that a shot.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
After your post I was looking at them and the other Stouffers' offerings. The meatballs and noodles look pretty good. I'll have to try them. I'm getting a little burned out on the Salisbury Steak and the Meatloaf.
My brother's freezer has some Stouffers stuff. I don't think I've ever bought anything from them. Most of my food I make from scratch but on occasion I do buy boxed stuff if I am in a hurry. Prefer fresh veggies and meats in my dishes. But I am thinking that Stouffers is probably a higher quality product than some that are boxed. Have to be better than some of those Swansong Frozen TV dinners I had to endure about once a month as a kid when my Mom didn't feel like cooking. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati