Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 08:53 PM

2,543 posts, read 2,866,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
The most diverse student body in the Tri-State area outside of Cincinnati Public Schools is Mason, Ohio. The Chinese and Indians comprise 15-20% of the student population.
Most diverse student body in the Tri-State area is actually Princeton Community Schools. Far more diverse than Mason.

Most diverse (middle class) district in Northern Kentucky is the one that feeds into Boone County High School. Although the overall diversity on that side of the river pales in comparison to the Ohio side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 05:24 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
I think what most people fail to grasp is that claiming an area is "diverse" based upon superficial means (ethnicity or race) does not necessarily mean the place is comprised of true diversity. Real diversity can be found in an area that has a variety of people with differing views or opinions on politics, religion and social views. It also means having a variety of people from different religious groups (or non religious such as agnostics etc.) Just because people may look and dress different from others does not mean the area qualifies as diverse. Diverse along racial lines, perhaps but not necessarily by any other gauge. In other words, I would hardly classify an area as diverse if the vast majority of people in that area all walk, talk, think, look or act identically but may have different colors of skin. There is far more to it than that.

Again, we need to here from the OP about their specific request of "diversity" before people jump to conclusions. We don't know the context in which the word is being used.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:55 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,850,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk1979 View Post
I am looking for recommendations on areas with a fair amountof diversity in the Northern Kentucky area. I work downtown Cincinnati butmoved from Louisville and naturally just opted to stay on the Kentucky side ofthe river. We currently live in Richwood, KY right outside of Florence andreally like the schools but there is like 0 diversity, which is a no go for me.
As the other posters have alluded to here, it depends on what type of diversity you're looking for.

Economic: You'll get some of that in Northern KY, Fort Thomas is clearly richer than Southgate, which is clearly richer than Newport. Covington is a mixed bag, the north part is poorer, the south is kinda meh, and the far south is richer (new developments off Madison Pike).

Political: In my experience about 60-40 favoring Republican/conservative candidates, but not the "in your face" types. Most people are pretty low key about politics since they're on the wrong side of the Ohio River.

If you lived in Cincinnati proper, there is no diversity of political thought - despite all the differences talked up here about Cranley and Qualls, both are lifelong Democrats with deep party connections who agree on 95% of the issues. I'm not sure the Republican Party is even running for more than four of nine council seats this year, and they've run nobody at all before.

Racial: If you define "diversity" as "number of black people" which is what it usually means in the Midwest, you won't get much in Northern KY, it's 90+% white. If you wanted genuine diversity beyond white-black, your best chance is in the Mason/Deerfield Township areas north of Cincinnati - some 20% odd Asian/Indian with some black mixed in, too.

Social/Religious: Again, pretty low key as far as I've been able to tell having lived there for 15 years. There's an active Catholic community and numerous church festivals going on, I suggest checking them out for the food and generally getting out and playing.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:38 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
I would certainly agree the Princeton School District is far more diverse than Mason, if diversity is defined as being different in many ways, race, economics, education, etc.

I agree Mason has more racial diversity than it used to have, particularly the Chinese and Indians in addition to the recent higher influx of Blacks. But this on the surface can give a false impression. When I look I see a high percentage of professionals with good educational backgrounds locating here for one primary reason - they want their kids in good schools. When I say professionals why do I mean that, did I do some private survey? No, I simply look at the houses they are buying, the cars they drive, and other physical trappings and think they are not doing that on a menial job income.

So they are likely much more in tune with the political, social, life values, etc. attitudes of the rest of the population here. They may attend a different church, but we have many churches here in Mason as well as the Islamic Center of Cincinnati in nearby West Chester. You can admire that mosque from I-75.

So if someone is looking for a greater cross-section of backgrounds, incomes, single parent families, and anything else you want to throw into diversity, Mason is not the place. Our racial diversity may have increased, but it is comprised of people with similar life objectives and has been quite seamless.

If you want a real clash of people then head for something like College Hill or Mt Healthy. But I would not subject my kids to that for any reason.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:57 AM

224 posts, read 297,352 times
I agree with others who basically said diversity is in the eye of the beholder. But to try and answer the OP while inferring what was meant, Florence is probably the closest thing to a "diverse" area you'll find in Northern Kentucky that isn't as high in crime like, say, Covington is. There's a small but substantial Latino population there, and income levels range from poverty to upper middle class. Due to its proximity to the airport and major employers such as Citi and Fidelity, there is probably a contingent of non-Northern Kentucky natives there, too.

But if you're looking for the kind of diversity you'll find around a military base, you're probably not going to find it around here.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:50 AM

4 posts, read 11,549 times
I didn't realize the term diversity was so difficult for people to understand.As I referenced in my original post, I grew up on military bases in which there were people of a variety of different races and national origins. And of course in the military you will encounter people from different parts of the country. That is what I am looking to find in this region.And for the individuals that mentioned the term diversity being upsetting you really need to lighten up. It's not meant to be a divisive term. Hope whatever you are going through gets better.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:04 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk1979 View Post
I didn't realize the term diversity was so difficult for people to understand.As I referenced in my original post, I grew up on military bases in which there were people of a variety of different races and national origins. And of course in the military you will encounter people from different parts of the country. That is what I am looking to find in this region.And for the individuals that mentioned the term diversity being upsetting you really need to lighten up. It's not meant to be a divisive term. Hope whatever you are going through gets better.
Repeat: you might -- might -- find something you like close to the base, but you'll have to decide whether you think it's worth the drive. People DO drive the fifty or so miles for various reasons.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,695 times
I'm in a similar situation, trying to find a diverse area in Northern Kentucky to move to from New Jersey. We are bringing a mixed family into the area, and wish not to enter into an unsavory living environment. I appreciate those of you with helpful responses, which will aid in the search for our new home. If anyone has further information or suggestions, lay it on me! Thanks a bunch.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:01 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theDawlyMomma View Post
I'm in a similar situation, trying to find a diverse area in Northern Kentucky to move to from New Jersey. We are bringing a mixed family into the area, and wish not to enter into an unsavory living environment. I appreciate those of you with helpful responses, which will aid in the search for our new home. If anyone has further information or suggestions, lay it on me! Thanks a bunch.
I doubt you'd run into much overt racism anywhere in the metro area but if you prefer an area with more diversity from a comfort perspective you'd do better looking towards parts of the Ohio side. The most diverse parts of NKY are still 90% White.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:53 AM

10 posts, read 12,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theDawlyMomma View Post
A mixed family is no problem at all in Cincinnati. They're not as common as on the coasts because there's only 2 races here that are over 5% of the population (whites and blacks), but I know several mixed couples of all sorts of races and they've never even had a minor issue with it. They live all over the city, including 2 in the type of white-working class neighborhood that, if stereotypes were correct, should be a problem area.

My experience has been that Midwestern cities in general are more accepting of people from different backgrounds than coastal cities are. Except Cleveland, which the most Eastern of all Midwestern cities anyways. The rural areas might be different, especially in Indiana (there were counties in Indiana that were "sundown" counties even into the 80s). But even that is more due to ignorance because most of those counties are 98-99% white (not exaggerating) so their only exposure to other races is through the incendiary garbage you see in Hollywood or on the entertainment shows that pass as news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati