Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,371 times

Advertisements

I just recently graduated from college and will be working in Sharonville. Where would be a good place for a male in his young twenties to live when considering average age of population, tax rates, crime rates, nightlife, and entertainment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 03:23 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,961,522 times
Hesitate to make any actual recommendations, as Sharonville is kind of on the fringe of Cincinnati. Being next to I-275 it is too far out to recommend the college life scene such as Clifton, commute too far. I suggest you contact some of the people you will be working with and get their opinion. If that is too difficult until you get there, consider one of the extended stay motels, there are a couple of Amerisuites nearby, until you have the opportunity to look around and also ask others for what might be you best bet. My advice is do not sign a lease until you are comfortable with the arrangements.

From Sharonville north is family oriented suburbia. There are of course some sizable apartment complexes which are not strictly family. Depends on what you are looking for.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:05 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,990,444 times
for a hip/cool scene, clifton and the neighborhoods around the university are a good bet. northside. maybe otr. parts of the east end. if you want a yuppy scene, mt adams, hyde park, oakley, and columbia tusculum are all very nice. east walnut hills and downtown are sort of in-between hip and yuppy. if you want to pioneer, try price hill, the fairmounts, evanston away from xavier, fringe areas of otr like mohawk or the so-called brewery district, also spring grove village. if you want a bigger yard at the expense of needing to travel farther for nightlife, consider westwood, covedale, pleasant ridge, kennedy heights, college hill. regarding safety, i can't think of anywhere in the city where your actual person would be in danger. there are places where your stuff will be in danger. the most dangerous part of your day will always be driving to work. where are you from?

Last edited by progmac; 06-01-2012 at 06:24 AM..

Old 06-01-2012, 07:08 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,961,522 times
Being a new grad, I am assuming the following:
1) You have been living hand to mouth the past few years.
2) It will take a while for you to build a disposable income.
3) With the price of gas, you do not need a sizable commute to burn up your new income.
4) Having graduated and now newly embarked on your working career, you do not need to be
associated with college students. Object #1 is being successful at your new job. This
is definitely going to be a challenge to you. Stepping from the college world into business is a
radical change, believe me. Although it has been 50 years since I did it myself, I have 4 kids who
went through the process.

Again, consult some of your peers where you will be working. Cincinnati has no lacking of bars in which to spend your leisure time. I can think of several in Sharonville itself, and all of the areas I can identify surrounding it.

Unless you come from an independently wealthy family, ignore the recommendations of Mt Adams, OTR, etc. from people who probably could not afford Norwood when they graduated, if they graduated.

Sharonville is not the easiest place to make a recommendation for a new grad. But virtually all of the surrounding area is a safe place to live. I am not fluent in the surroundings, but I drive by some very nice looking apartment complexes to me.

Again, my advice is look for something close to where you will be working, hold down the commute cost, and let things evolve from there. Forget those who want to advise the young professional.
Frankly, you are not a young professional, you are a greenie fresh out of college who still has to prove your worth to whoever hired you. You better believe that, as they probably hired at least twice the number they intend to keep.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:52 AM

2,616 posts, read 2,972,716 times
Southeast Fairfield? A large variety of apartment complexes/townhomes, close to shopping/entertainment, close to 275.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati