Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 07:56 PM

7 posts, read 8,912 times

Advertisements

Hello.
I am moving to Cincinnati this summer for a job located in Covington. I have been apartment searching from afar, as I am a senior at Notre Dame in Indiana, so I need some advice on where to look.

. Where is you current location and environment? . Are you looking for similar in Cincinnatior a change? I'm from a small town that's very safe. As I will most likely be lving alone, safety is important to me. I'm also used to walking places, as Notre Dame is a pretty contained campus. It would be nice to be able to walk/bike to restaurants/groceries/library/etc.

. Where will your work location be? . Maximum commute time desired? My office is on Dixie Hwy in Covington. I'd like a short commute - by bike if possible (5 mi or less).

. What is you budget for housing? . Rent or buy? . Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family) . Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths) . Other specifics? I'm looking to rent an apartment for less than $800/month. A one bedroom is plenty of room.

. Neighborhood environment? . I'd like to be around other young professionals and have some sort of outdoor space. Above all, a friendly neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 06:26 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,980,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneythecheg View Post
Hello.
I am moving to Cincinnati this summer for a job located in Covington. I have been apartment searching from afar, as I am a senior at Notre Dame in Indiana, so I need some advice on where to look.

. Where is you current location and environment? . Are you looking for similar in Cincinnatior a change? I'm from a small town that's very safe. As I will most likely be lving alone, safety is important to me. I'm also used to walking places, as Notre Dame is a pretty contained campus. It would be nice to be able to walk/bike to restaurants/groceries/library/etc.

. Where will your work location be? . Maximum commute time desired? My office is on Dixie Hwy in Covington. I'd like a short commute - by bike if possible (5 mi or less).

. What is you budget for housing? . Rent or buy? . Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family) . Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths) . Other specifics? I'm looking to rent an apartment for less than $800/month. A one bedroom is plenty of room.

. Neighborhood environment? . I'd like to be around other young professionals and have some sort of outdoor space. Above all, a friendly neighborhood.
I don't know if it would totally meet your safety requirements, but the Mainstrasse area of Covington looks like a good bet.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:30 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
I am sure you realize Covington is an old town directly across the Ohio River from Cincinnati. Dixie Hwy is the old US Route 42 from pre-interstate days. In downtown Covington it is simply called Main St.

Depending on exactly where your work location will be, it may or may not be realistic to expect a commute by bike (unless it is a Harley) to an apartment in a safe neighborhood. Coming from several years in the cloistered environment of a college campus, this is a big change. If your pre-college background was a small town, it is an even bigger change.

Portions of Covington are walkable and relatively safe. But you will immediately recognize they are old, and as such vary considerably in upkeep and amenities. Soon as you leave downtown Covington, you hit the river hills. These make any idea of commute by bicycle just plain impractical.

I would start with the exact work location and fan out looking for an apartment. Use Google Earth to give you a good view of the surroundings.

If you provide your exact work address on Dixie Hwy, maybe some of the good people on this forum with intimate knowledge of the area will chime in with specific advice.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:48 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I am sure you realize Covington is an old town directly across the Ohio River from Cincinnati. Dixie Hwy is the old US Route 42 from pre-interstate days. In downtown Covington it is simply called Main St.

Depending on exactly where your work location will be, it may or may not be realistic to expect a commute by bike (unless it is a Harley) to an apartment in a safe neighborhood. Coming from several years in the cloistered environment of a college campus, this is a big change. If your pre-college background was a small town, it is an even bigger change.

Portions of Covington are walkable and relatively safe. But you will immediately recognize they are old, and as such vary considerably in upkeep and amenities. Soon as you leave downtown Covington, you hit the river hills. These make any idea of commute by bicycle just plain impractical.

I would start with the exact work location and fan out looking for an apartment. Use Google Earth to give you a good view of the surroundings.

If you provide your exact work address on Dixie Hwy, maybe some of the good people on this forum with intimate knowledge of the area will chime in with specific advice.
The hills should not be a deterrent for biking to work if someone is in good physical condition. That friend that I mentioned previously that runs the manufacturing facility in Connecticut has ridden his bike to work hundreds of times over the years through much larger hills over a 15 mile stretch of roads. Unless the roads in NKY are not designed to safely accommodate car and bike traffic simultaneously through the hillier areas then I'd tell the OP to give it a try and see what it is like. He certainly won't be facing a 15 mile ride or hills approaching 1,000 feet or higher in elevation like my friend has.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:59 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
The hills should not be a deterrent for biking to work if someone is in good physical condition. That friend that I mentioned previously that runs the manufacturing facility in Connecticut has ridden his bike to work hundreds of times over the years through much larger hills over a 15 mile stretch of roads. Unless the roads in NKY are not designed to safely accommodate car and bike traffic simultaneously through the hillier areas then I'd tell the OP to give it a try and see what it is like. He certainly won't be facing a 15 mile ride or hills approaching 1,000 feet or higher in elevation like my friend has.
Your friend may be a physical nut when it comes to riding a bike. Notwithstanding, in addition there is absolutely nothing in the streets surrounding Covington which is conducive to someone riding a bicycle. In my opinion you take your life in your hands everytime you venture out on a bicycle. The narrow and winding streets, parking on the sides, etc. cause the bicycle rider to constantly weave side to side. And this is true of the bottom land along the river, before you even get to the hills.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:34 AM

Thank you for all the responses! My work address is 1717 Dixie Hwy.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:11 AM

I found a promising Craigslist posting at 1402 Greenup St - how is that area? My coworkers have advised me to stay north of 5th St, is that good advice?
Some other listings that piqued my interest are Monroe and 9th in Newport and 828 Washington in Newport. Any impressions from that area?

Old 05-17-2012, 09:27 AM

307 posts, read 544,108 times
As far as 8th and Washington goes, stop in at the crazy fox one night and talk to people there. Its a pretty diverse and slightly crowd and if you dig it you'd probably like the area as well. Its always good to hang out at the closest locals spot to get a feel for what you may be getting into.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:39 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneythecheg View Post
I found a promising Craigslist posting at 1402 Greenup St - how is that area? My coworkers have advised me to stay north of 5th St, is that good advice?
Some other listings that piqued my interest are Monroe and 9th in Newport and 828 Washington in Newport. Any impressions from that area?
Years ago I was acquainted with a guy that used to write for Scripps Howard News Services and the now defunct Cincinnati and KY Post. He lived in mansion in the northern part of Covington. His recommendation to me was don't live in the area south of 16th and east of Madison to the Newport border. This area extended down to around 23rd to 25th Street to the south. Aside from that area he said most of Covington was alright and generally fairly safe for most people as long as they are not living a risky lifestyle.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:47 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,754,390 times
Well, I'm in Covington (Botany Hills or West Covington to be more specific) but am severely limited with such advice a) because I'm on the riverbank and b) because I'm from Ohio. Being from Ohio puts one out of whack with Kentucky.

According to a quick look at the map, she/he would not be in Covington at all but between Park Hills and Ft. Mitchell, both of which are spoken of with shades of awe and neither of which are places where I've spent much time. It's more or less Kenton county, but not Covington, which is kind of a long narrow lumpy thing that goes in the direction of Latonia.

So, kind of forget Covington.

As for how to get up a hill on a bicycle, what I have seen the Covington bicycle patrol do when ascending the hill the apartment building is on and which hill is at something like a 45 degree angle to flat land is go left and right across the road at a much slighter angle. It seems to work.

And, finally, Mr. kjbrill, FYI, while there are probably many roadways called "the Dixie highway" THE Dixie highway is I-75 from Deeetroit to Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati