Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 01:28 PM

28 posts, read 49,172 times

Advertisements

Hi there, new user here but have frequented often over the years..

Going to be a grad student at UC starting next month, and I want to find something less than around 700, preferably a studio with that price range, that would accept my 10 lb dog. I've looked and it seems only the Groton Lofts and East 8 accept dogs, but they don't have available spots..

I've only been to cincinnati once to visit the campus, and I want to be in the "exciting, single" area with plenty of bars/clubs/pubs. Previously lived in youngstown, toledo, oxford (Miami grad). I am very outgoing and would not mind being close to some spots with culture (places with weekly brew festivals, riboffs, enough "local-style" watering holes, etc). Considering downtown may not have any studio options in my price range allowing a dog, what's it like living in the hyde park, coventry, or mt adams areas?

As I've never been to cincinnati, my opinions have been just off of what I've read or heard.. here are some of my concerns:

1) is hyde park more hippie than I want?
2) does coventry hold its own to downtown in excitement?
3) moreso, if i meet people downtown or coventry, will i have to constantly be going back and forth to meet with friends; do people stick to downtown/coventry or do people go between places often?

and as much as it pains me to say this:
4) say i look (that's look not act, unless i'm pretty toasted) like i could be on jersey shore without the pounds of hair gel, but am someone people actually want to be around. I like to explore the culture the city and try new things. Also, I'm living off of student loans. Where should I live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 02:34 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,587 times
Ten years ago I was in a similar position as you are now, although without a dog and not completely new to the city. I don't know what program you are in or what hours you plan on keeping, but if you are going to be at UC anything close to business hours (8-5 or so) you might think about living closer to campus if you plan on driving a car. Parking at UC is a huge mess, which is why I rode a bicycle or motorcycle. My girlfriend at the time (wife now) lived on Milton Street, which is just north of the east side of downtown.

Close to campus, the best option for a graduate student is in the Gas Light district off of Ludlow. My sister is a graduate nursing student and lives there now in a huge old apartment building and absolutely loves it. You can get a great place around there easily for under $700. This would be the first place I would look if I were you. As you move away from campus, your options open up drastically, but the amount of time you spend commuting will necessarily be higher.. Hyde Park is nice, clean, safe, good food, convenient shopping, and has a social scene. I lived there for two years near the square, and my only complaints were the price and family atmosphere (not what I wanted at the time). Oakley is similar to Hyde Park, but less pricey and family oriented, and would have been my choice had the current version of Oakley existed back then. Another trendy place is Mt. Adams, although it is not really all that convenient for a UC student. It is close geographically, but it is an unpleasant walk or bike ride and the traffic will be horrible during the school year during rush hour.

Downtown is hit or miss, and I don't think I would take a chance on a downtown apartment without knowing the area. My cousin just bought an absolute steal of a house in the Pendleton area that has thee stories and a five car garage (converted carriage house that has a finished loft that itself has a loft). He is very handy and has the place looking beautiful. If you were lucky, you could get someone like him as a neighbor. On the other hand, you could be like my best friend's legal secretary who lives on the same street four blocks away and get a slumlord neighbor that rents his apartments on a week-to-week bases to a revolving door of criminals and crackheads. You really can't tell what you're going to get just by looking on google streets or anything like that. To get a place downtown in a nice enough area that that you don't have to gamble with neighbors you will pay more than $700 with a dog.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:24 PM

34 posts, read 73,281 times
To the OP, I'm an agent and do a lot of business with rentals. I have a few places that I think would work for you, in your price range, in the Hyde Park and Mount Lookout areas. If you're interested, you can check my profile out and retrieve my contact information. Let me know if I can help!

Old 08-06-2011, 04:41 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
I'd agree with Chemistry guy above that ideally you will be happy in Gaslight Clifton. I doubt however that you will find much at 700 these days. Studios are rare. Most of the units there are big and the prices reflect it. Also, many buildings are 100% occupied and have waiting lists.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:16 PM

Thanks for the responses so far! Distance to campus isn't really an issue for me, I'd be perfectly fine with anything even 15 minutes from campus and it seems like everywhere (downtown, covington, mt adams, newport, etc) are all just about around there?

I've done some more research and am liking the idea of mt adams or even covington, with plenty of nightlife options.. at least thats what I've heard. I will definitely look at clifton as well as you guys suggested.

It's just tough trying to get an idea without visually seeing some of these places, hopefully youtube has some clips I can look up before I head down to visit in a week or two.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:40 PM

Looking at some videos online, newport looks really cool, any input on living there?

Old 08-07-2011, 02:29 PM

Newport is great for nightlife. Check out Hofbrauhaus, Southgate House and Newport On The Levee. I also attached a bit of history about Newport. Newport was the Vegas, before Vegas and is well known for the most notorious gangster of his time, George Remus. Remus's wife divorced him, and as they were on their way to finalize their divorce, Remus had his cab driver chase his wife down, and he killed her in Eden park (Mt. Adams). Remus represented himself in court since he was an attorney and claimed temporary insanity, and won, only to serve six months in jail. I got off track, but Newport is very cool and has a lot of history. You can go on the gangster tour as well. Welcome to the area, you will love it!

Hofbräuhaus Newport

Southgate House - Home

Newport on the Levee

Newport and It’s Gangster History | Cincyfocus.com

Old 08-07-2011, 02:45 PM

The two choices for 20 something nite life are Hyde Park and Clifton. I have two 20 something sons. They know where to go. Most of the bars where 20's hang out and hook up are in Hyde Park/Mt. Lookout. Newport is a toilet. Great place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there. And, for night life you will mostly bring your own friends. There are no neighborhood bars where you would want to go. My sons would never ever go to Newport and they are in the cool social scene. I don't know who goes to Hofbrau Haus, but it isn't 20 something grad students.

You can live in HP for $700 but it won't be pretty. It will be a 1 bedroom with no view of anything. Clifton, you won't find anything really safe for $700. You are probably looking too late because most of Clifton is already rented for this school year.

But, best of luck!

Old 08-07-2011, 03:14 PM

Wilson513, I will have to cordially disagree with you on this one. As a 29 year old professional, I frequent those two places often. I was at Hofbrauhaus Friday night and it was packed with people of all ages, but mostly a bit younger than me. If you are a younger guy looking to meet people, this is a great place. Let's not forget about The Beer Cellar, J.B Fins, Brother's and the bars at Roebling Point, all frequented by a younger crowd.

Newport is definitely NOT a toilet and if you're talking about views, it has the best views of Cincinnati there are. Finding rental housing there can be another issue because there are mostly single family homes in the upscale neighborhoods.

Just wanted to set the record straight since I ACTUALLY visit these places

Old 08-07-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyEnthusiast View Post
Wilson513, I will have to cordially disagree with you on this one. As a 29 year old professional, I frequent those two places often. I was at Hofbrauhaus Friday night and it was packed with people of all ages, but mostly a bit younger than me. If you are a younger guy looking to meet people, this is a great place. Let's not forget about The Beer Cellar, J.B Fins, Brother's and the bars at Roebling Point, all frequented by a younger crowd.

Newport is definitely NOT a toilet and if you're talking about views, it has the best views of Cincinnati there are. Finding rental housing there can be another issue because there are mostly single family homes in the upscale neighborhoods.

Just wanted to set the record straight since I ACTUALLY visit these places
Well, I have been known to be a little enthusiastic in my recommendations. Still Newport is not a desirable place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati