Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 08:13 AM

733 posts, read 1,927,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Everyone knows that there are some amazing deals on cars these days, with American deals most likely being better than the rest. I'm in the market for a car, but recently began considering SUVs (they're probably selling worse than cars, so that means better deals) and got hooked on the Grand Cherokee. I know it's not the most refined car, but I love the looks and how it's not too big, yet not too small either. I saw a used top-of-the-line Overland for under $19,000!

My question for previous Grand Cherokee owners (or any ChryMo product owners I guess):

1. How reliable is the Grand Cherokee? I already know Chrysler is the least reliable automobile company, but that doesn't necessarily mean their cars are unreliable.
2. How long do you think the car will last? It has a HEMI 5.7 L with about 47,000 miles on it. My family has only bought Toyota/Honda products for as long as I can remember, so some may say that I'm spoiled over how long the car will last.
3. How good is the fuel economy? The EPA estimates 13 in the city and 19 on the highway; are these accurate figures?
4. Is a HEMI really necessary? There's also the 4.7L V8. While its a whole liter smaller, it only produces 54 less horsepower. I'm not gonna be towing a lot of stuff around. I just don't want the SUV to be slow.
5. Are there any repairs that are common with the JGC?

Thanks for all that assist me!

well ASIDE from all the "nay sayers" who HAVEN'T owned a Grand Cherokee, let me add my two cents for someone who HAS one.

It is a GREAT vehicle!

Had it since 1998 and I've put 150,000 miles on it with NO problems!

Everyone I know who owns one LOVES it!

So from someone who DRIVES one, it's a great car and a good buy.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 08:17 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,955 times
I've owned Jeeps since 1986, 2 of them Grand Cherokees, a 1993 and my current Jeep a 2005 Grand Cherokee Laredo. They have been very good vehicles for me. Both previous Jeeps were taken off road a lot and subjected to pretty rough terrain. I took good care to maintain them as I do with all my cars. Both went over 150,000 miles without major repair. The guy I sold my '93 to still has it and loves it. My 2005 has about 40,000 miles on it so far and it's been great. I have the 4.7 and it's fine for me. I tow a 2,300 lb trailer a few times a year and it tows it like it's not there. Avoid the 3.7 V6. this is a heavy truck and the 6 can't move it well at all. Gas mileage isn't great but as I said, it's a heavy vehicle and you don't buy an SUV for great mileage. I would buy another Jeep with no problem.
The transmission problems noted above are the tranny used with the 6 cyl. I believe they have since fixed it but not sure. They aren't perfect but I love mine.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:19 AM

170 posts, read 453,726 times
I have a 1995 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 5.2 V8, it has about 130,000 miles on it. We are the second owner, the first owner was a friend of ours who kept it up very well with all the recommended maintenance (mostly city driving for the first 10 years). They had zero problems with it. We have had zero problems with it. No wait - I take that back - the radio antenna has come loose from the console radio and it's hard to figure out how to get behind the console.

It's a good strong running vehicle, climbs without a problem. Little thirsty on the gas, we live in the mountains and get roughly 18mpg. But when it snows, there's nothing like a Jeep.

I would definitely buy another one if this one ever breaks.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:35 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,774,443 times
Never thought the GC's were such bad vehicles.....perhaps it's due to the Chrysler drivetrain?

I wonder how it stacks up against a Wrangler? Are Wranglers still pretty tough 4X4's?

Old 03-13-2009, 08:42 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Never thought the GC's were such bad vehicles.....perhaps it's due to the Chrysler drivetrain?

I wonder how it stacks up against a Wrangler? Are Wranglers still pretty tough 4X4's?
None tougher. I'd put one up against any other 4X4 out there including the much over rated Hummers and watch it trash each and every one of them. My son had a Wrangler Rubicon and that thing totally stock was unstoppable and trouble free.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:38 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,333,122 times
Are you GC owners claiming your ride isn't a parts bin vehicle? If so, please confirm. I might consider buying a used one if that is the case. Otherwise, I'd have to do to it what I did to my Cherokee-- replace the problem parts with swaps or aftermarket.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:52 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
My biggest complaint: the leather. The seat bottom cracks and shows wear on the side where you get in and out of the vehicle. Not a major issue, but one that certainly annoys me.

I totally agree. I own a 2006 Grand Cherokee Overland with 65K miles on her and the seats have some cracks in it.

I have owned a 1996 Grand Cherokee last til I bought my 06 Overland. The problem I see most with Jeeps is transmission problems, I have had them in both my Jeeps. The 96 we rebuilt the tranny but that was after 125K miles and it was fine. In my 06 there is a feature where you can shift it into gear, and mine kept shifting into 3rd and staying there. We had it taken in and it was fine no problems since.

All that said I LOVE Jeeps, mine have gone through winters on the Upper peninsula and ALOT of snow with no problems. Other cars in Kentucky spun out in the ice storm and my Jeep had no problems. I think jeeps are some of the best vehicles out there and I LOVE my Hemi.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:56 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
None tougher. I'd put one up against any other 4X4 out there including the much over rated Hummers and watch it trash each and every one of them. My son had a Wrangler Rubicon and that thing totally stock was unstoppable and trouble free.
Thats whats funny you get these people who spend 50K on a Hummer or some sporty SUV and look down at the Jeeps. We had a neighbor who thought his Infiniti FX35 was better than our Jeep. Well it only took one time at a Green light to shut him down and prove a Jeep can compete with high end SUV's for half the cost.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:06 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,904,578 times
Try comparing your Chrysler to a Toyota Land Cruiser. Oh yeah who's your daddy

Old 03-13-2009, 06:56 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,103,223 times
I've stated it before and I'll state it again - I'll always own a Jeep. I had a '94 GC with well over 100k miles on it and it ran like a dream...tough with a V8 engine. Could go off-road without a hitch.
I recently traded it off onto an '08 GC Laredo with that V6. I haven't had one complaint on it and have driven it in some rough territory. Recently got stuck in snow and muck (I reside in Alaska, it happens ) and got out without a problem.
I would've preferred either the V8 or Hemi engine, but that's how it goes. The V6 is perfectly adequate for going on treks via highway or two-tracks.
I miss my Wrangler...that thing was a tough machine and I hope to get another some day....thinking on either the Unlimited or another Rubicon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram