Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 04:52 PM

5 posts, read 24,149 times

Advertisements

when i put trany in gear or reverse it dies.trany shop said needs new transmission.any ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 04:57 PM

17,244 posts, read 57,304,505 times
OK, maybe you need to provide a little more detail - this is an automatic, right?

Year, miles on the rig, what kind of engine?

Can you keep it from dying by putting your foot on the gas?

Welcome to CD forum, anyways....

Old 08-14-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
OK, maybe you need to provide a little more detail - this is an automatic, right?

Year, miles on the rig, what kind of engine?

Can you keep it from dying by putting your foot on the gas?

Welcome to CD forum, anyways....
yea its a 97 360 auto.150000.as soon as u put it n gear it acts like something binds and dies.u cant keep it runing buy keepn ur foot on the gas however if i rev it and drop it in gear it will drive but wont go very fast.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:21 PM

its a 97 1500 4x4.360 auto. with 150000 miles.it wont stay runing by keepn ur foot on the gas however if i rev it and drop it in gear it will drive but not very fast this is very hard on it but had to do it to get it moved a couple blocks.when i put it in gear it acts like it binds up and just dies cause it cant move.someone said it sounds electrical but have no idea where to start.any help would be greatly apperciated.thanks

Old 08-14-2008, 07:11 PM

17,244 posts, read 57,304,505 times
OK, you have it in 2 WD right now, right? Is something dragging between the transmission and wheels - can you push it in neutral, does it act normal then?

If it pushes OK in neutral, and the engine is basically OK, then, yeah, it's probably in the trans. Your best bet may be a junkyard trans rather than rebuild what you have. If you have tools and a place to work you should be able to put in a trans, R&R aint' that hard, you may need a trans jack a lot of 4X4 trannys, particularly autos, are heavy.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:55 PM

18,951 posts, read 43,857,351 times
Have you checked the torque converter clutch solenoid? Sometimes they will stick causing the torque converter to stay locked up. Not sure if it would kill it in reverse though.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:13 PM

2,949 posts, read 8,400,419 times
I was just going to say that. It sounds like the TCC solenoid is stuck on.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Have you checked the torque converter clutch solenoid? Sometimes they will stick causing the torque converter to stay locked up. Not sure if it would kill it in reverse though.
i put a computer on it and it did say 3-4solinod and tcc came up along with sum other stuff.what do i need to do to check the tcc because thats what it sounds like the problem is.its like the trany locks up and it kills the motor.also i crawled underneath it and one of the plugs is off and full of dirt.the plug on the driverside on top just above a little plug.i cleaned it out pluged it in but it wouldnt snap in but im sure it was making contact and it still did the same thing.got to messin with it and noticed the wires are frayed and now the darn thing wont start.it acts like its not gettn any fire im ready to burn this thing.thanks for any info......

Old 08-19-2008, 04:39 PM

i also crawled under it and noticed the plug came off and were it plugs into was full of dirt so i cleaned it out put it back in but it wouldnt snap all the way in but im sure it was making contact but it still didnt work.its the plug on the driverside on top just above a little plug.got to messin with it and now it wont start.it acts like its not gettn any fire.did notice the wires on the plug were frayed and it might have shorted something out but i have no clue were to start.this thing is drivin me crazy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram