Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 05:45 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times

Advertisements

So I've been looking into the prospect of getting a vehicle for those days where riding the bicycle to work just won't do.
After my last nightmare with motor vehicles, tow companies and repair shops, and well, the law several years ago, I've thought about giving it a go again.
On the various sites that sell vehicles, I've perused a few Diesel, 4x4-equipped SUVs that seemed pretty enticing.
The Liberty CRD is a bit rare, but I haven't come across many complaints about it as far a mechanical reliability goes.
What does everyone think of this particular vehicle?
The ones I've seen that I think are quite decent are as per the thread title, 2006 with 40,000-44,000 miles and in the $14,000-$17,000 price range.
Not to mention I'm not a big fan of customization or winning a race, so the neutral appearance of this vehicles is also nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 09:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
High Bluebook is right about $16,000 loaded with the diesel, automatic and 4x4. We have a 2002 (gas) with 93,000 and the only real problem was the transmission but they changed that and made it a lot better in 2004. I used to be active in a Jeep forum and people swear that the diesel is pretty much bulletproof. No problems with body or interior even 10 years old, even the battery lasted 9 years. Does very well in snow.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:32 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,028,196 times
You may want to research the problem with the EGR system. A friend of mine had a 2006 and had the EGR valve replaced so many times that he got so frustrated that he got rid of his CRD Liberty.

I just did a quick search and it came up on a lot of forums.

However, I also noticed this site during the search that claims they have a solution. I didn't really look at it but you can go through their site and see what you think.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
You may want to research the problem with the EGR system. A friend of mine had a 2006 and had the EGR valve replaced so many times that he got so frustrated that he got rid of his CRD Liberty.

I just did a quick search and it came up on a lot of forums.

However, I also noticed this site during the search that claims they have a solution. I didn't really look at it but you can go through their site and see what you think.
I've seen that come up a few times and checked the records that were available on a few these vehicles.
A couple of the 40,000 mile ones only had either 1 or 2 owners and didn't show any serious defects in regards to the EGR system.
I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt and go with the fact that these particular vehicles already had that dealt with by the previous owners.
As I mentioned before, small Diesel vehicles are a rarity here in the US and these Jeep Liberty's seem to be the only one in a doable price range.
There's some BMW and Mercedes SUVs with the Diesel and 4WD, but even in the used range those are obviously shooting way too high in the price department.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:22 AM

39,855 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
So I've been looking into the prospect of getting a vehicle for those days where riding the bicycle to work just won't do.
After my last nightmare with motor vehicles, tow companies and repair shops, and well, the law several years ago, I've thought about giving it a go again.
On the various sites that sell vehicles, I've perused a few Diesel, 4x4-equipped SUVs that seemed pretty enticing.
The Liberty CRD is a bit rare, but I haven't come across many complaints about it as far a mechanical reliability goes.
The ones I've seen that I think are quite decent are as per the thread title, 2006 with 40,000-44,000 miles and in the $14,000-$17,000 price range.
Not to mention I'm not a big fan of customization or winning a race, so the neutral appearance of this vehicles is also nice.
I really wanted a 4x4 diesel and really wanted to like the Liberty CRD. I finally got a chance to test drive one...and was unimpressed. Far more cramped inside and as I recall the ergos sucked for me. Hard, sharp edges in the wrong places. And pretty noisy/buzzy at highway speeds. I can't speak for reliability, it might be great.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:07 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Jeep liberty recalls, and problems 2006.
2006 Jeep Liberty Recalls & Problems - Motor Trend Magazine

Old 12-15-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Jeep liberty recalls, and problems 2006.
2006 Jeep Liberty Recalls & Problems - Motor Trend Magazine
Ugh. Just when I thought things were going to be good.
I'm still going to ask around a bit and see if the problems were resolved on the particular vehicles I'm looking into.
The Diesel Liberty still seems pretty good overall and if I'm going back into vehicle ownership world, I'm not too keen on joining the gasser ranks.

However, if this investigative approach just throws me into endless curves, I'll just stay on the bike and save my money until I'm good for one of those BMW or Mercedes Diesel SUVs.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:47 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,028,196 times
I wouldn't necessarily rule out a vehicle based on the recall history. Many vehicles that have good reliability records still have recalls.

That particular list doesn't look that bad compared to others I've seen especially if they been successfully resolved.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
I wouldn't necessarily rule out a vehicle based on the recall history. Many vehicles that have good reliability records still have recalls.

That particular list doesn't look that bad compared to others I've seen especially if they been successfully resolved.
I'm still going to take the Liberty into consideration.
But, since I'm about 200 miles away from where I'm going to be purchasing it, I'll be inquiring about these things before making any final decisions.
I've searched locally for these types of vehicles, but everything they've got here are either monster-sized pickups with Diesels and gassers for everything else.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:12 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Ugh. Just when I thought things were going to be good.
I'm still going to ask around a bit and see if the problems were resolved on the particular vehicles I'm looking into.
The Diesel Liberty still seems pretty good overall and if I'm going back into vehicle ownership world, I'm not too keen on joining the gasser ranks.

However, if this investigative approach just throws me into endless curves, I'll just stay on the bike and save my money until I'm good for one of those BMW or Mercedes Diesel SUVs.
Maybe a Subaru AWD, I haven't heard of massive recalls like the chrysler, ford and gm makers have had.
I like diesels too, but those a few and far between unless VW still employs them for a engine.

Subaru AWD Uphill Comparison Test - YouTube

Jetta Takes on Prius: Toyota Prius vs. VW Jetta TDI Diesel - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram