Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 09:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafracer View Post
I used to work a a Dodge dealer first as as service tech then a service writer. You have no idea how hard it is to try and explain to a customer that it costs $300 to change a fuel filter. As for the battery most dealers will see that it is old and tack that on as an unneeded replacement for some extra cash.

Not sure if you know how warranty work is billed out but I can fill you in quick why dealers rip people off and why I quit.

If the book rate (flat rate) said it takes 1 hour to do a repair the tech gets paid .6 hours so he/she has to either cut corners or find something else to pill the customer for that is no under warranty or they are loosing money.

To the OP sorry for hijacking your thread.
No problem. I have a trusted independent mechanic that I have used for 15 years, one of the few honest ones left. i have done a lot of my own work over the years but have a lot less time these days and lack the sophisticated test equipment for modern vehicle diagnosis, so in this case
a fee (AAA) tow was my best option even if it is just the battery. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. Meanwhile I better get back to my work that's due tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 12:53 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,875,013 times
9 year old battery?? wow.. You got great life out of it..

Old 01-10-2011, 04:04 AM

9 posts, read 13,154 times
Default Hello,,,

I am very shock,there is no fuel filter outside the tank.It is a battery related problem.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
The battery tested bad, though it turned over OK, everything else tested fine. Before changing the battery he reset the computer. It started right up and ran fine, even idled, so the battery issue did
cause the computer to try and shut it down apparently but with no codes. He said this is common with these engines. I had him also test the coolant since we're below freezing, and it showed fine to -60F so he said it doesn't need changing. Nice to have an honest mechanic. New Interstate $100 installed and ready for the snow tomorrow.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 7,596 times
Hello- I have a 2002 jeep liberty sport 3.7. We recently had to install a new engine. After several problems that seem to be fixed we are now having a new problem. The idle fluctuates when stopped. It has died a couple if times. This is very frustrating as we have so much money and time in this vehicle and it's still not right. Any suggestions?

Old 07-17-2011, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 7,596 times
Default Jeep liberty idle fluctuation

Hello- I have a 2002 jeep liberty sport 3.7. We recently had to install a new engine. After several problems that seem to be fixed we are now having a new problem. The idle fluctuates when stopped. It has died a couple if times. This is very frustrating as we have so much money and time in this vehicle and it's still not right. Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram