Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2010, 12:37 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times

Advertisements

In reading Psalms I came across this verse:
Psalm 22:29 All the prosperous of the earth will eat and worship, All those who go down to the dust will bow before Him, Even he who cannot keep his soul alive.

Which reminds me of this NT passage:
Matt. 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

And also another passage in Psalms:
Psalm 49:15 But God will redeem my soul from the power of Sheol, For He will receive me. Selah

It seems, to me, that God will redeem souls from Sheol and that man cannot keep his soul alive... so the verse in Matt. seems, to me, to say that since man cannot save himself from physical death but can only burn the bodies of the dead in hell that one should trust God when it comes to their enemies...

Does that make sense?

In studying, it doesn't seem to be talking about an afterlife of burning sorrow at all.

Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 01:39 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Well, I agree. Death has power over us, but it's not a speedbump to the Lord of life.

He can - and regularly does - raise the dead.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:24 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,018,190 times
In Matthew 10:28..... Jesus said Don`t fear man who can kill the body but not the soul, even though man can end ministries by martyrs and send the believer to the Lord ...... the devils manipulation can bring sin into a persons life and this person will reject the Lord God where the devil authority can bring sickness to that person and kill his body and send that person to Hell where the soul will be killed in Hell.....This the Fear of God which is the rejection of Evil for believers are in their Father house and must repent and get rid of all sin and most have this passion in the Spirit, in Christ

Old 05-16-2010, 09:10 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
In reading Psalms I came across this verse:
Psalm 22:29 All the prosperous of the earth will eat and worship, All those who go down to the dust will bow before Him, Even he who cannot keep his soul alive.

Which reminds me of this NT passage:
Matt. 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

And also another passage in Psalms:
Psalm 49:15 But God will redeem my soul from the power of Sheol, For He will receive me. Selah

It seems, to me, that God will redeem souls from Sheol and that man cannot keep his soul alive... so the verse in Matt. seems, to me, to say that since man cannot save himself from physical death but can only burn the bodies of the dead in hell that one should trust God when it comes to their enemies...

Does that make sense?

In studying, it doesn't seem to be talking about an afterlife of burning sorrow at all.

Opinions?
I know you are ambivalent about the after life . . . but pragmatically speaking, kat . . . the unavoidable reality is that we are already eternal. Our consciousness is pure energy and exists within the universal field that establishes the universe (God's consciousness). The entire purpose of Jesus and the scriptures is to prepare us for it. Anything that we experience after we shed this mortal coil is designed to "refine" us for it. Matt 10:28 has NO personal pronouns in it. It refers to the "state of mind" (THAT) which can kill both.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:48 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I know you are ambivalent about the after life . . . but pragmatically speaking, kat . . . the unavoidable reality is that we are already eternal. Our consciousness is pure energy and exists within the universal field that establishes the universe (God's consciousness). The entire purpose of Jesus and the scriptures is to prepare us for it. Anything that we experience after we shed this mortal coil is designed to "refine" us for it. Matt 10:28 has NO personal pronouns in it. It refers to the "state of mind" (THAT) which can kill both.
I teach my children that we don't remember where we were before we were born so it is highly unlikely we will remember after we die, so take every moment and savor it!

That, unfortunately, is a pragmatic as I get!

Old 05-17-2010, 08:53 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I teach my children that we don't remember where we were before we were born so it is highly unlikely we will remember after we die, so take every moment and savor it!

That, unfortunately, is a pragmatic as I get!
I understand . . . but once you realize that every conscious "state of mind" is permanent . . . it tends to make us try harder to make them all positive and loving. Those that weren't . . . we can "revisit" (replay) in our minds (repentance) and "tape over" (modify) the earlier ones. It is the capability of "replaying and re-taping" that ends with our physical death. There are other processes that will be required then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity