Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 06:18 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much for sharing, Heartsong. This is beautiful and uplifting. God bless and peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 06:53 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi, yes God can force man to love Him. He has all power and reaching all hearts, is no match for Him. Yes it would be true love to open all eyes and convince, persuade, win all hearts to Himself. It is true love when a parent effectively reaches a rebellious teenager. God is so much greater and more effective than a human parent. God bless and peace.
No. God loves by, proving, convinceing, demonstrating, and giving all good things and yes also chastising on occasion when we are very wrong but that is not force but rather an insistance to give us the wisdom that there is a better way with Him then against Him.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:24 PM

8,175 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
And if Jesus truly does abolish all rulers, power and authority, doesn't that imply that he is making all things equal -- all people equal ... I've always thought so. The great trouble in this world is inequality of rights, inequality of wealth, inequality of justice, etc... therefore, I conclude that Christ will set all things right by, as the scriptures say, leveling every mountain and filling in every valley. Of course I think that is a metaphor for what he will do for us spiritually. There will not be any haughty person standing before God - none. And that is something to be grateful for. My vision of heaven is a place where the light of God radiates from on high, illumining every being with perfect love and peace and glories streaming over his beautiful creatures in every direction. Even this world is somewhat like that if you could take the sin and death out of the way. Death is the destroyer of dreams, and the destroyer of sinful flesh. Death is like a double edged sword because while it causes us so much sorrow and suffering, it is doing its perfect work at the same time. How wise God is!

Old 05-24-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
No. God loves by, proving, convinceing, demonstrating, and giving all good things and yes also chastising on occasion when we are very wrong but that is not force but rather an insistance to give us the wisdom that there is a better way with Him then against Him
Yes, convincing and persuasion are kinds of forces. Subjection is also .

persuade=1. urge, influence, move, entice, impel. Persuade, induce imply influencing someone's thoughts or actions. They are used today mainly in the sense of winning over a person to a certain course of action

convince=to move by argument or evidence to belief, agreement, consent,or a course of action

force= (some definitions) to compel, constrain, or oblige (oneself or someone) to do something
19. to drive or propel against resistance
20. to bring about or effect by force.

21. to bring about of necessity or as a necessary result:
22. to put or impose (something or someone) forcibly on or upon a person:

dictionary.com

(1) : strength or energy exerted or brought to bear : cause of motion or change : active power <the forces of nature> <the motivating force in her life> (2) capitalized —used with a number to indicate the strength of the wind according to the Beaufort scale <a Force 10 hurricane> b : moral or mental strength c : capacity to persuade or convince <the force of the argument>
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/force

Zephaniah 3:
8“Therefore wait for Me,” declares the Lord,
“For the day when I rise up as a witness.
Indeed, My decision is to gather nations,
To assemble kingdoms,
To pour out on them My indignation,
All My burning anger;
For all the earth will be devoured
By the fire of My zeal.
9 “For then I will [a]give to the peoples purified lips,
That all of them may call on the name of the Lord,
To serve Him [b]shoulder to shoulder

Hebrews 2:8
You have put all things in subjection under his feet.”
For in subjecting all things to Him, He left nothing that is not subject to Him. But now we do not yet see all things subjected to Him.

God bless and peace.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 05-24-2012 at 08:20 PM..

Old 05-24-2012, 07:53 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,910 times
Quote:
Yes, convincing and persuasion are kinds of forces. Subjection is also .

persuade=1. urge, influence, move, entice, impel. Persuade, induce imply influencing someone's thoughts or actions. They are used today mainly in the sense of winning over a person to a certain course of action

convince=tomovebyargumentorevidence to belief, agreement, consent,oracourseofaction

force= (some definitions) to compel, constrain, or oblige (oneself or someone) to do something: to force a suspect to confess.
19. to drive or propel against resistance: He forced his way through the crowd. They forced air into his lungs.

20. to bring about or effect by force.

21. to bring about of necessity or as a necessary result: 22.

to put or impose (something or someone) forcibly on or upon a person:

dictionary.com

God bless and peace.

Yes, one can call love a compeling force as Jesus did also as in what He said, "Compel them to come into my Fathers house" but not as the worlds tyrants use force as by a sword but the compelling forces of Christ are love, peace, especially joy and Truth.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:56 PM

Compelling forces of God, yes, they are able to convince, persuade, win all hearts, Garya. All I am sharing is that love is the greatest force and it never fails. God never fails. God bless and peace.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:09 PM

Also, Garya, when I think of a tyrant, I think of one who uses his power to abuse people, oppresses people and is unjust but God is owner of all and He, by His ownership of us, has the right to subject us all to Himself. It is not unjust or abusive or oppressive. He acts out of love. He always acts out of love for us because He is love and wants the best for us. (agape) Our subjection to Him, restoration to Him, is what is good/best for us. It is just like a mother doing whatever she can to give her child the best she can because she loves the child. God bless and peace.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 05-24-2012 at 08:24 PM..

Old 05-24-2012, 08:31 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
True love, does what is best for the person who is loved, according to its definition-agape. God is not tricking anyone. He is removing all blinders and binders of those who are lost and blind. This is love, to save someone who is drowning, lost, blind. True love loves one's enemies, and does good to them even when they don't love back in return, even when they are blind. When God removed our blinders and we loved Him freely. Truly love wins. And we are His workmanship, the work of His hands. God bless and peace.
Quote:
That is a glorious and truthful statement. Thank you!
Quote:
And if Jesus truly does abolish all rulers, power and authority, doesn't that imply that he is making all things equal -- all people equal ... I've always thought so. The great trouble in this world is inequality of rights, inequality of wealth, inequality of justice, etc... therefore, I conclude that Christ will set all things right by, as the scriptures say, leveling every mountain and filling in every valley. Of course I think that is a metaphor for what he will do for us spiritually. There will not be any haughty person standing before God - none. And that is something to be grateful for. My vision of heaven is a place where the light of God radiates from on high, illumining every being with perfect love and peace and glories streaming over his beautiful creatures in every direction. Even this world is somewhat like that if you could take the sin and death out of the way. Death is the destroyer of dreams, and the destroyer of sinful flesh. Death is like a double edged sword because while it causes us so much sorrow and suffering, it is doing its perfect work at the same time. How wise God is!
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I can only add to Sparrow's smile.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:06 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

I can only add to Sparrow's smile.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:36 AM

175 posts, read 174,752 times
Quote:
No. God loves by, proving, convinceing, demonstrating, and giving all good things and yes also chastising on occasion when we are very wrong but that is not force but rather an insistance to give us the wisdom that there is a better way with Him then against Him.

my brother told me the other day that God will not force man to believe in Him, that He wanted man to come of his own free will, i asked my brother that since the message of mainstream churchianity is the message of "love me or burn" is that not force?
It is coercion, and it is force by intimidation.....................i have yet to get a response
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity