Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 02:26 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
For those who believe in hell...
  • are not rejecting what Jesus said about it as the truth.
  • are not accusing God of being sadistic
  • are not accusing God of not being fair
  • are not rejoicing that people are sent there
  • are not going to wantonly twist scriptures around to make it insignificant simply because it doesn't make one feel good
Scripture teaches He is the Savior of All men, especially those beleving.
To beleve in eternal torment you beleve God is sadistic, for there is no other way to describe it.
You do believe it is unfair of God to save all.only those who accept what you believe.
Have you read sinners in the hands of a angry God ?
Everything about Love ,Faith and Hope makes you feel good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 03:01 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times
I believe there is a hell and I don't know what I think it is, but I think it is the most tormenting state imaginable w/o hope.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:14 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I believe there is a hell and I don't know what I think it is, but I think it is the most tormenting state imaginable w/o hope.

God is love.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8 Love never fails

This "state" "without hope" is an impossiblity.
peace,
sparrow

Old 05-28-2012, 04:41 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times
Quote:
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres
God never gives up on the lost.

The theory of an eternal hell has God failing miserably.

He can't reach His own creatures but yet He has all power. Evil and the power of sin is never defeated and must exist for all of eternity, yet Jesus is to abolish all rule, power, and authority (except the Father's) (1 Cor. 15) But God is greater than darkness, sin, ignorance, rebellion, and whatever else is opposed to the life, light, and love of God God bless and peace.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:38 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
God is love.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8 Love never fails

peace,
sparrow
Amen, sparrow!

Old 05-29-2012, 01:11 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Interesting observation I have made:

Without fail, every single person who professes a strong belief in the eternal torments of hell for non-Christians are staunch Christians themselves who are secure in their conviction that they are saved. I've never heard one non-religious person, atheist, etc ever profess belief in hell. The consequence appears to be that these pro-Fundamentalist fire-and-brimstone thumpers sit on their perches high above everyone else, passing judgment on those who don't meet their standards and expectations of what it takes to enter heaven. It's a form of pride, like they are saying, "I'VE met God's criteria for getting saved. You haven't, therefore you are on your way to burning in the eternal fires of hell." It's really very sad to see these Fundamentalists so arrogantly condemning non-Christians and I'm sure it doesn't please God. But they justify their arrogance by saying they are only doing God's work trying to get them saved before they land in hell-fire for eternity. One theologian described it this way:

Quote:
Placing people in Hell because they have not heard the Gospel (and thus have not accepted it) is viewed as profoundly immoral. It is reminiscent of some of the Spanish Conquistadors who would enter a Native town in the New World during the 16th century, give a speech in Latin demanding that the people become Christians and lay down their weapons. The townspeople would be given an hour to make up their minds, the Conquistadors would then exterminate [modern-day: pronounce that they are on their way to hell] the townspeople (men, women, and children) for not acting on the demands. Not knowing Latin, the Natives hadn't the foggiest idea what the soldiers were asking of them. If we view this type of act by humans as completely immoral, how could we expect it of an all-loving God whose ethical standard is conceived as being so much higher than ours?

Old 05-29-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Interesting observation I have made:

Without fail, every single person who professes a strong belief in the eternal torments of hell for non-Christians are staunch Christians themselves who are secure in their conviction that they are saved. I've never heard one non-religious person, atheist, etc ever profess belief in hell. The consequence appears to be that these pro-Fundamentalist fire-and-brimstone thumpers sit on their perches high above everyone else, passing judgment on those who don't meet their standards and expectations of what it takes to enter heaven. It's a form of pride, like they are saying, "I'VE met God's criteria for getting saved. You haven't, therefore you are on your way to burning in the eternal fires of hell." It's really very sad to see these Fundamentalists so arrogantly condemning non-Christians and I'm sure it doesn't please God. But they justify their arrogance by saying they are only doing God's work trying to get them saved before they land in hell-fire for eternity. One theologian described it this way:
Very good observations indeed.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
God is love.
8 Love never fails

peace,
sparrow
Amen. God bless and peace.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Placing people in Hell because they have not heard the Gospel (and thus have not accepted it) is viewed as profoundly immoral. It is reminiscent of some of the Spanish Conquistadors who would enter a Native town in the New World during the 16th century, give a speech in Latin demanding that the people become Christians and lay down their weapons. The townspeople would be given an hour to make up their minds, the Conquistadors would then exterminate [modern-day: pronounce that they are on their way to hell] the townspeople (men, women, and children) for not acting on the demands. Not knowing Latin, the Natives hadn't the foggiest idea what the soldiers were asking of them. If we view this type of act by humans as completely immoral, how could we expect it of an all-loving God whose ethical standard is conceived as being so much higher than ours
So sad. God bless and peace.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:19 AM

This is the same Jesus who will send untold numbers into eternal torment

His Hands - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity