Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 02:58 PM

988 posts, read 1,902,996 times

Advertisements

MISSING THE MARK?

When the question of sin comes up Christian teachers are quick to point out that sin has to do with "missing the mark".

The Greek word Sin hamartia (G264) is derived from the root word hamartanō (G266) which historically was an archers term that means to "miss the mark" . (See definitons below)

With that in mind, Modern Christianity in an attempt to trivialize willful sin often says something like this:

"Therefore to sin merely means to miss the mark; which seems to be a small thing since nobody hits the mark every time - right? After all nobody is perfect."

To understand the true meaning it must be understood that the root word meant much more than just missing the bulls eye from time to time. It means to miss the mark and so not share in the prize.

For example: Think of a King gathering an army of archers and he had them tested to see if they could hit a target with their bow an arrow. Those who missed the mark were disqualified.

That is the sense of the Greek word "hamartanō" The archer did not get more chances - it was miss and out. The word denotes failure with consequences.

In the Biblical sense the word "sin" which is derived from "hamartanō" refers to those who miss the mark by breaking God's commandments - that was how John used it in context concerning willful sin.

1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth SIN transgresseth also the law:
for SIN is the transgression of the law.

Those who sin ignorantly have missed the mark God has established in the ten commandments. Those who commit sin (miss the mark) willfuly, are not children of God.

1Jn 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil
1Jn 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin;

HK

Definitions:
G266 hamartia sin - offence, sin (-ful). -From G264;

(G264 hamartanō properly to miss the mark (and so not share in the prize),
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 03:06 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
MISSING THE MARK?

When the question of sin comes up Christian teachers are quick to point out that sin has to do with "missing the mark".

The Greek word Sin hamartia (G264) is derived from the root word hamartanō (G266) which historically was an archers term that means to "miss the mark" . (See definitons below)

With that in mind, Modern Christianity in an attempt to trivialize willful sin often says something like this:

"Therefore to sin merely means to miss the mark; which seems to be a small thing since nobody hits the mark every time - right? After all nobody is perfect."

To understand the true meaning it must be understood that the root word meant much more than just missing the bulls eye from time to time. It means to miss the mark and so not share in the prize.

For example: Think of a King gathering an army of archers and he had them tested to see if they could hit a target with their bow an arrow. Those who missed the mark were disqualified.

That is the sense of the Greek word "hamartanō" The archer did not get more chances - it was miss and out. The word denotes failure with consequences.

In the Biblical sense the word "sin" which is derived from "hamartanō" refers to those who miss the mark by breaking God's commandments - that was how John used it in context concerning willful sin.

1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth SIN transgresseth also the law:
for SIN is the transgression of the law.

Those who sin ignorantly have missed the mark God has established in the ten commandments. Those who commit sin (miss the mark) willfuly, are not children of God.

1Jn 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil
1Jn 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin;

HK

Definitions:
G266 hamartia sin - offence, sin (-ful). -From G264;

(G264 hamartanō properly to miss the mark (and so not share in the prize),
Harold,

If you truly understood what it meant to live IN CHRIST, you wouldn't be dwelling so much on commandment keeping and a works based performance before God. When we are IN CHRIST, it is CHRIST who lives in us and keeps us blameless and spotless in our spirits and as we follow in his footsteps, we will become more and more conformed to the image of God...because NO ONE can be justified or made righteous by keeping THE LAW....NO ONE!

Old 12-14-2009, 03:09 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,176,247 times
We are drawn to what (or Who) we're focused on - I'll keep my eyes on Him, and you can watch the other channels.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
We are drawn to what (or Who) we're focused on - I'll keep my eyes on Him, and you can watch the other channels.
I still can't rep you but I tried!!

Old 12-14-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Romans 3:20 might come close.

Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in His sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

I'm not saying we deny that sin exists, but sin takes us back to the tree that kills: the knowledge of good and evil. By keeping our eyes on Him, we abide in the place where the whole earth is the Lord's, all things work together for good (His glory), and He owns everything - black, white, purple, etc.

Scripture tells us to magnify the Lord, not darkness.
Amen....we rest in the finished work of The Christ....he is the one who justifies, sanctifies and makes us righteous, without any help from us!!!

Old 12-14-2009, 04:30 PM

My you two do prattle on - any comment relative to Missing The Mark?

HK

Old 12-14-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
My you two do prattle on - any comment relative to Missing The Mark?

HK
Yes.

The Law is perfect and holy - as He is represented; but it is indeed a schoolmaster to drive us to Christ. I believe the "whole" law is that God is not driving us away by these standards, but rather driving us toward Him - for He's the only one that can fulfill the Law.

So the answer to the "riddle" - except our righteous exceed the Pharisees - is only His life in us can do that. So we must do what He said, and take up our cross, dying to the carnal life that will always sin, because its best is as filthy rags, and allow Him to replace that with His life.

I believe that after it's all said and done, the Father will look closely at each of us, to see how much of His Son He can see - or rather how much of us there still is. "Be ye perfect" was His command, meaning "without mixture"...that's a lot of fire.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Yes.

The Law is perfect and holy - as He is represented; but it is indeed a schoolmaster to drive us to Christ. I believe the "whole" law is that God is not driving us away by these standards, but rather driving us toward Him - for He's the only one that can fulfill the Law.

So the answer to the "riddle" - except our righteous exceed the Pharisees - is only His life in us can do that. So we must do what He said, and take up our cross, dying to the carnal life that will always sin, because its best is as filthy rags, and allow Him to replace that with His life.

I believe that after it's all said and done, the Father will look closely at each of us, to see how much of His Son He can see - or rather how much of us there still is. "Be ye perfect" was His command, meaning "without mixture"...that's a lot of fire.

Sorry - I did not see the words "missing the mark" in your comment - just more agenda driven prattle...

Why waste your time?

HK

Old 12-14-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Sorry - I did not see the words "missing the mark" in your comment - just more agenda driven prattle...

Why waste your time?

HK
What's the point Harold, if we're not centered on Him? What's your motive here - and in life?

Old 12-14-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:

Why waste your time?

HK
Harold,

Don't you understand that we (in the flesh) will ALWAYS miss the mark....NO ONE can follow the law (completely without misstep) and be righteous....that was the whole point of The Christ coming to show us The Way to the Father....we get there through Christ, by following his footsteps, and he never misses the mark. That is why we live IN CHRIST and don't depend on our fleshly performance!! Praise GOD!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity