Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:23 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,614,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Oh... so you are in favor of healthcare reform right?
if the bible is then yes incidently I am going to do a thread on this this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 01:29 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,098,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
if the bible is then yes
Well that was a quick turn around huh?

Cause I swear you stated:

Quote:
That IS the argument, the government has the duty to protect ALL life!
So government is to provide healthcare (i.e. protect all life).. if the bible says so?

Sorry you lost me on that.

Again.. the argument that government passes laws that are moral is incorrect.. was from the start of this discussion and continues to be wrong.

probably just easier for you to stop digging at this point..

Old 11-04-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Well that was a quick turn around huh?

Cause I swear you stated:

So government is to provide healthcare (i.e. protect all life).. if the bible says so?

Sorry you lost me on that.

Again.. the argument that government passes laws that are moral is incorrect.. was from the start of this discussion and continues to be wrong.

probably just easier for you to stop digging at this point..
Healthcare has nothing to do with protecting babies from mass slaughter which repeats the question why isn't the government protecting innocent, defenseless babies from being killed?

Old 11-04-2009, 01:39 PM

303 posts, read 571,440 times
why isn't the government protecting innocent, defenseless babies from being killed?

because our government is Ceasar

Old 11-04-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Healthcare has nothing to do with protecting babies from mass slaughter which repeats the question why isn't the government protecting innocent, defenseless babies from being killed?
Hey you are the one that stated that government was there to protect all life..

I was simply pointing out that is an interesting statement and thus assumed that you would be out there campaigning for healthcare reform..

no?

again.. govt isn't there to pass moral laws..

Old 11-04-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Hey you are the one that stated that government was there to protect all life..

I was simply pointing out that is an interesting statement and thus assumed that you would be out there campaigning for healthcare reform..

no?

again.. govt isn't there to pass moral laws..
You are broadening the scope of morality-that's fine but that is an argument for another day. We are talking about murder. killing babies IS murder. Human being who are slaughtered is murder. We know what murder is everyday on the news but when it comes to the slaughter of innocent, defenseless babies we become moral imbeciles.

They may not be there for that purpose BUT THEY DO!!!!!! OF COURSE government passes moral laws! they pass moral laws all the time. The prisons are filled with people who showed bad moral judgment. who broke MORAL laws.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
You are broadening the scope of morality-that's fine but that is an argument for another day. We are talking about murder. killing babies IS murder. Human being who are slaughtered is murder. We know what murder is everyday on the news but when it comes to the slaughter of innocent, defenseless babies we become moral imbeciles.

They may not be there for that purpose BUT THEY DO!!!!!! OF COURSE government passes moral laws! they pass moral laws all the time. The prisons are filled with people who showed bad moral judgment. who broke MORAL laws.
I'm not broadening anything.. fact is you stated:

Originally Posted by Fundamentalist
The governement passes moral laws when it pertains to rapists and muderers..

I'd post the actual quote but you've gone back and edited it.

Fact is the government is not passing those laws from a moral standpoint.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I'm not broadening anything.. fact is you stated:

Originally Posted by Fundamentalist
The governement passes moral laws when it pertains to rapists and muderers..

I'd post the actual quote but you've gone back and edited it.

Fact is the government is not passing those laws from a moral standpoint.
of course they are. what else could it be? laws on stealing etc....what else if not morality. Come on dude if it walks like a duck......so why isn't the governemnt protecting the unprotected?

Old 11-04-2009, 06:20 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,172,102 times
What is with this oath the doctors take anyway? Does anyone follow what they swear to these days? And who are these false gods they swear to? Here it is for those who haven't read it.

I swear by Apollo the Physician and Asclepius and Hygieia and Panaceia and all the gods, and goddesses, making them my witnesses, that I will fulfill according to my ability and judgment this oath and this covenant:

To hold him who has taught me this art as equal to my parents and to live my life in partnership with him, and if he is in need of money to give him a share of mine, and to regard his offspring as equal to my brothers in male lineage and to teach them this art–if they desire to learn it–without fee and covenant;
to give a share of precepts and oral instruction and all the other learning to my sons and to the sons of him who has instructed me and to pupils who have signed the covenant and have taken the oath according to medical law, but to no one else.
I will apply dietic measures for the benefit of the sick according to my ability and judgment; I will keep them from harm and injustice.
I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody if asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect. Similarly I will not give to a woman an abortive remedy. In purity and holiness I will guard my life and my art.
I will not use the knife, not even on sufferers from stone, but will withdraw in favor of such men as are engaged in this work.
Whatever houses I may visit, I will come for the benefit of the sick, remaining free of all intentional injustice, of all mischief and in particular of sexual relations with both female and male persons, be they free or slaves.
What I may see or hear in the course of treatment or even outside of the treatment in regard to the life of men, which on no account one must spread abroad, I will keep myself holding such things shameful to be spoken about.
If I fulfill this oath and do not violate it, may it be granted to me to enjoy life and art, being honored with fame among all men for all time to come; if I transgress it and swear falsely, may the opposite of all this be my lot.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:22 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,721,031 times
USA founded as a Christian Nation? Quotes from Jefferson, Adams, Washington
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity