Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 05:15 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,582,718 times

Advertisements

for most of us, yes. proud arrogant unremorseful sinners are known for trust or faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 05:21 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,384,654 times
Where is all the baloney Fundy mentioned about being humbled with a contrite heart in Zacchaeus's repentance

Luke 19:1-10 He entered Jericho and was passing through it. A man was there named Zacchaeus; he was a chief tax collector and was rich. He was trying to see who Jesus was, but on account of the crowd he could not, because he was short in stature. So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore tree to see him, because he was going to pass that way. When Jesus came to the place, he looked up and said to him, "Zacchaeus, hurry and come down; for I must stay at your house today." So he hurried down and was happy to welcome him. All who saw it began to grumble and said, "He has gone to be the guest of one who is a sinner." Zacchaeus stood there and said to the Lord, "Look, half of my possessions, Lord, I will give to the poor; and if I have defrauded anyone of anything, I will pay back four times as much." Then Jesus said to him, "Today salvation has come to this house, because he too is a son of Abraham. For the Son of Man came to seek out and to save the lost."

Notice how the Fundamentalist's got upset because Jesus was associating Himself with a sinner .

Old 10-14-2009, 06:43 PM

8,003 posts, read 12,305,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Guilty?
Are you kidding?
I"m catholic
Bacon: Guilt Appeaser.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:53 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,163,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Where is all the baloney Fundy mentioned about being humbled with a contrite heart in Zacchaeus's repentance

Luke 19:1-10 He entered Jericho and was passing through it. A man was there named Zacchaeus; he was a chief tax collector and was rich. He was trying to see who Jesus was, but on account of the crowd he could not, because he was short in stature. So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore tree to see him, because he was going to pass that way. When Jesus came to the place, he looked up and said to him, "Zacchaeus, hurry and come down; for I must stay at your house today." So he hurried down and was happy to welcome him. All who saw it began to grumble and said, "He has gone to be the guest of one who is a sinner." Zacchaeus stood there and said to the Lord, "Look, half of my possessions, Lord, I will give to the poor; and if I have defrauded anyone of anything, I will pay batck four times as much." Then Jesus said to him, "Today salvation has come to this house, because he too is a son of Abraham. For the Son of Man came to seek out and to save the lost."

Notice how the Fundamentalist's got upset because Jesus was associating Himself with a sinner .
I really dislike how you do these compared group analogies.

Did you miss how the sinner repented once he knew WHO Jesus was? To this man, Jesus went from a "rock star", and him just trying to get a look at what the fuss was all about, to being truly humbled in His presence. And notice that Jesus did not admonish the grumbling, but instead gave an explaination as to why he was doing what He was.

The man ended up bearing fruit from his repentance, to Jesus' Kingdom by giving back money to the people he defrauded x4, and money to the poor. Gee, you think Jesus did not know he wasn't going to do that?

Old 10-14-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
I really dislike how you do these compared group analogies.

Did you miss how the sinner repented once he knew WHO Jesus was? To this man, Jesus went from a "rock star", and him just trying to get a look at what the fuss was all about, to being truly humbled in His presence. And notice that Jesus did not admonish the grumbling, but instead gave an explaination as to why he was doing what He was.

The man ended up bearing fruit from his repentance, to Jesus' Kingdom by giving back money to the people he defrauded x4, and money to the poor. Gee, you think Jesus did not know he wasn't going to do that?
I really don't have time for you assuming that Zaccheaus thought Jesus was a rock star and where does it say he was humbled in His presence ?. How do you not know that the Holy Spirit was not already working on Zaccheaus ?(Infact i know this is true, it was Zaccheaus's appointed time , it was no coincidence Jesus was passing by) So if you can make assumptions , here's mine regarding Zaccheaus being up the tree."The reason he had to climb that tree was to rise above the the fundamentalist's that were forever following Jesus around and dissecting every word He spoke, religion always gets in the way of Jesus, so Zaccheaus had no choice but to climb that tree, they would never allow the poor little fellow anywhere near Jesus , because in their eyes he was a sinner. Zaccheaus's humbling was when he came down from the tree knowing just how he was viewed by the fundamentalist's, but Jesus saw beyond how the fundamentalist's viewed him(a sinner) ,Jesus saw Zaccheaus as a son of Abraham. Fundamentalist's see the lost as children of the devil.

The explaination to the fundamentalists was a rebuke , and as we know from the scriptures the Fundamentalist's of Jesus day did not believe they were lost.

Who is denying repentance ? , it was God's goodness that led Zaccheaus to repent , and not a decision he came to on his own.

Last edited by pcamps; 10-14-2009 at 07:28 PM..

Old 10-14-2009, 07:56 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,163,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I really don't have time for you assuming that Zaccheaus thought Jesus was a rock star and where does it say he was humbled in His presence ?. How do you not know that the Holy Spirit was not already working on Zaccheaus ?(Infact i know this is true, it was Zaccheaus's appointed time , it was no coincidence Jesus was passing by) So if you can make assumptions , here's mine regarding Zaccheaus being up the tree."The reason he had to climb that tree was to rise above the the fundamentalist's that were forever following Jesus around and dissecting every word He spoke, religion always gets in the way of Jesus, so Zaccheaus had no choice but to climb that tree, they would never allow the poor little fellow anywhere near Jesus , because in their eyes he was a sinner. Zaccheaus's humbling was when he came down from the tree knowing just how he was viewed by the fundamentalist's that Jesus saw beyond how the fundamentalist's viewed him(a sinner) , who saw Zaccheaus as a son of Abraham.

The explaination to the fundamentalists was a rebuke , and as we know from the scriptures the Fundamentalist's of Jesus day did not believe they were lost.

Who is denying repentance ? , it was God's goodness that led Zaccheaus to repent , and not a decision he came to on his own.

You really have an obsession with fundamentalists, don't you? Where in the WORD does it say they were fundamentalists? SHOW ME or repent! Unless the whole damn crowd was fundamentalists, which in that case would make Jesus one since they were following Him.

It really is getting disgusting. Your true colors are being made manifest, as liars always resort to this type of bullcrap when things don't go their way.

And the fundamentalists of Jesus' time are not the same as those of today. Fundamentalists do not go around saying "look at me, as I am better than you" for the sake of their ego's. They are bearing fruit for the Kingdom they serve, and I respect them that, even though I disagree with their overall concept of the after-life. But I repsect their zeal and their love for God.

Not unlike the false doctrine changers that have come around here lately. Those who profess to be this remarkable love, but lack the virtue to even know what love is. You have a doctrine. that's it. You live it, you preach it, and you worship it. Why? Because you can make claim to it, as some sort of secret gnosis missing for centuries. Like the poor primitive man was just missing something taken away from them by the evil Romans. But hey,,,oh well, as they are going to get saved anyway, right?

Right after some fire punishments that last ONLY an age. Since when is torture ok at all to the one being tortured? How long is too long? Is there a difference between 1 million years or forever to the person being tortured?

Like after any spell of torture, they are going to come out of it worshipping God. Yea,,,,right. I see them siding with Satan and declaring all out war with the saints who were not tortured.

Quote:
I really don't have time for you assuming that Zaccheaus thought Jesus was a rock star and where does it say he was humbled in His presence ?
Some sort of a rock star and being one are two different things. People were flocking all over him like groupies, waiting to ee the next miracle, or to eat their next meal. Sorry you missed the analogy, dude.

Quote:
How do you not know that the Holy Spirit was not already working on Zaccheaus ?(Infact i know this is true, it was Zaccheaus's appointed time , it was no coincidence Jesus was passing by)
Yea, but what did he do when he came into the presence of Jesus? Perhaps repented?

Quote:
So if you can make assumptions , here's mine regarding Zaccheaus being up the tree."The reason he had to climb that tree was to rise above the the fundamentalist's that were forever following Jesus around and dissecting every word He spoke, religion always gets in the way of Jesus, so Zaccheaus had no choice but to climb that tree, they would never allow the poor little fellow anywhere near Jesus , because in their eyes he was a sinner.
Poor little fellow? This man was plundering the people. He was hardly poor.

Quote:
Zaccheaus's humbling was when he came down from the tree knowing just how he was viewed by the fundamentalist's that Jesus saw beyond how the fundamentalist's viewed him(a sinner) , who saw Zaccheaus as a son of Abraham.
Yea, ok. Maybe he was flattered to have this Man who had this tremendous following telling him Heas going to stay at his house. After realizing who He was, which is what WE ALL MUST DO IN THIS LIFE, He repented of his wicked ways, and make allocations to rectify a wcked sinful situation into a joyful one.

Quote:
The whole crowd were fundamentalists?

Quote:
To repent is mans decision. Yes God does the leading, but man has to do it. Goodness or whatever, it is still his choice, as he was not forced to.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
You really have an obsession with fundamentalists, don't you? Where in the WORD does it say they were fundamentalists? SHOW ME or repent! Unless the whole damn crowd was fundamentalists, which in that case would make Jesus one since they were following Him.

It really is getting disgusting. Your true colors are being made manifest, as liars always resort to this type of bullcrap when things don't go their way.

And the fundamentalists of Jesus' time are not the same as those of today. Fundamentalists do not go around saying "look at me, as I am better than you" for the sake of their ego's. They are bearing fruit for the Kingdom they serve, and I respect them that, even though I disagree with their overall concept of the after-life. But I repsect their zeal and their love for God.

Not unlike the false doctrine changers that have come around here lately. Those who profess to be this remarkable love, but lack the virtue to even know what love is. You have a doctrine. that's it. You live it, you preach it, and you worship it. Why? Because you can make claim to it, as some sort of secret gnosis missing for centuries. Like the poor primitive man was just missing something taken away from them by the evil Romans. But hey,,,oh well, as they are going to get saved anyway, right?

Right after some fire punishments that last ONLY an age. Since when is torture ok at all to the one being tortured? How long is too long? Is there a difference between 1 million years or forever to the person being tortured?

Like after any spell of torture, they are going to come out of it worshipping God. Yea,,,,right. I see them siding with Satan and declaring all out war with the saints who were not tortured.

Some sort of a rock star and being one are two different things. People were flocking all over him like groupies, waiting to ee the next miracle, or to eat their next meal. Sorry you missed the analogy, dude.

Yea, but what did he do when he came into the presence of Jesus? Perhaps repented?

Poor little fellow? This man was plundering the people. He was hardly poor.

Yea, ok. Maybe he was flattered to have this Man who had this tremendous following telling him Heas going to stay at his house. After realizing who He was, which is what WE ALL MUST DO IN THIS LIFE, He repented of his wicked ways, and make allocations to rectify a wcked sinful situation into a joyful one.

The whole crowd were fundamentalists?

To repent is mans decision. Yes God does the leading, but man has to do it. Goodness or whatever, it is still his choice, as he was not forced to.
The essence of modern day Fundamental Christianity is what Roman Catholicism was, which was what the Pharisee and Scribe was.
It polices through all it's man made doctrines,traditions and dogma those who are acceptable for salvation and those who are not.

I am referring to the Spirit of it , not the people of it.

Good night sweet dreams xx

Old 10-15-2009, 05:50 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,111,529 times
My views of this topic question.

Do you believe we must feel guilty in order to receive Christ?
My answer is that while on paper it looks like guilt would be a great way to get people to repent and believe, in real life it dont work out that way.

Remember the story of Adam and Eve?
Remember how right after they sinned and heard God walking that they ran and hid?

This is the normal result of guilt on a person.....to hide....to flee...
The normal reaction to learning of your error and feeling guilty about it is to draw back from others, and to try to change the topic.

I have seen this time after time in church too .
A good Christian boy gets caught by the cops for breaking into a school and making a mess.
He hides his face in prayer....he does not want to talk about the whole affair...

Or a girl that has an ABORTION goes fo years attempting to not bring it up in her prayers. yet finding God holding her lost child each time she kneels in prayer.

People don't use guilt as a means to make themselves better.
Guilt tends to drive us away from the very thing that could make us better.

WHAT brings us to the cross if is not guilt?

weariness mostly....

Old 10-15-2009, 09:22 AM

436 posts, read 1,175,562 times
Yes. We must feel guilty in order to receive forgiveness. This is a simple human process we have to go through in order to personally recieve forgiveness. It has nothing to do with God. He has already forgiven us. What, however, remains is for us to receive the forgiveness He has given, and you can never receive forgiveness if you do not think you are guilty. What else is there to be forgiven if your innocent?

Old 10-15-2009, 09:59 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,556,217 times
I think we need to know LOVE in order to receive Christ.

Guilt, imo, is a nudge by the Holy Spirit that we need to do an adjustment with ourselves, our attitudes, our lives, our words or deeds..It lets me know that I need to change something about myself..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity