Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 05:14 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times

Advertisements

...But when he saw many Pharisees and Sadducees coming to watch him baptize, he denounced them. "You brood of vipers!" he exclaimed. Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Prove by the way you live that you have repented of your sins and turned to God. Don't just say to each other, 'Were safe, for we are descendants of Abraham.' That means nothing, for I tell you, God can create children of Abraham from these very stones. Even now the ax of God's judgement is poised, ready to sever the roots of the trees. Yes, every tree that does not produce good fruit will be chopped down and thrown into the fire.
"I baptize with water those who repent of their sins and turn to God. But someone is coming soon who is greater than I am - so much greater that I am not worthy even to be His slave and carry His sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. He is ready to separate the chaff from the wheat with His winnowing fork. Then He will clean up the threshing floor, gathering the wheat into His barn but burning the chaff with never ending fire."

Matthew 3:7-12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 07:49 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...But when he saw many Pharisees and Sadducees coming to watch him baptize, he denounced them. "You brood of vipers!" he exclaimed. Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Prove by the way you live that you have repented of your sins and turned to God. Don't just say to each other, 'Were safe, for we are descendants of Abraham.' That means nothing, for I tell you, God can create children of Abraham from these very stones. Even now the ax of God's judgement is poised, ready to sever the roots of the trees. Yes, every tree that does not produce good fruit will be chopped down and thrown into the fire.
"I baptize with water those who repent of their sins and turn to God. But someone is coming soon who is greater than I am - so much greater that I am not worthy even to be His slave and carry His sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. He is ready to separate the chaff from the wheat with His winnowing fork. Then He will clean up the threshing floor, gathering the wheat into His barn but burning the chaff with never ending fire."

How will Jesus separate the wheat from the chaff? What is the wheat and what is the chaff?

I believe that everyone has wheat and chaff in themselves that needs to be separated - and this is not talking about separating "christians" from "non-christians"

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:16 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post

I was lead to purchase a Jewish Bible and these same verses are slightly different:
Yochanan (John) saw many of the P'rushin (Pharisees) and Tz'dukin (Saducees) coming to be immersed by him, he said to them, "You snakes! Who warned you to escape the coming punishment? If you have really turned from your sins to God, produce fruit that will prove it! And don't suppose you can comfort yourselves by saying 'Avraham is our father'! For I tell you that God can raise up for Avrham sons from these stones! Already the axe is at the root of the trees, ready to strike; every tree that doesn't produce good frut will be chopped down and thrown in the fire! It's true I am immmersing you in water so that you might turn from sin to God; but the one coming after me is more powerful than I---I'm not worthy even to carry his sandals---and he will immerse you in the Ruach HaKodesh (Holy Spirit) and in fire. He has with him his winnowing for; and he will clear our his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn but burning the straw with unquenchable fire!

Old 07-20-2009, 08:33 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,512 times
Another point I have observed is that the Holy Spirit and the Fire are two separate things. I was lead to believe they were one in the same... but this is not true...Hmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity