Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 08:13 AM

111 posts, read 263,467 times

Advertisements

That's a good question.

I'm not sure if it was posed to an individual, or just looking for an opinion. But I will answer it.

"Can you explain your Christian belief without quoting the Bible?"

Well...let's say you saw a sad scene in a movie. You begin to cry, and the movie ends. Someone walks in. "Why are you crying?" He asks.

Try to explain to him why you are crying without mentioning the movie. In any way. You can't. Oh, you could try, but all that would come out is a mass of unintelligible jargon!

That's called the law of "Cause and Effect". If there is an effect, "Christianity", then there must be a cause, "Christ" (Hence the name, "Christ-ian-ity"; it means the belief system of those who follow Christ).

If I were to try to explain my beliefs without the Bible, I would be like that tear-stained person, trying to explain the reason for my EFFECT, the tears, but never really able to without mentioning the CAUSE, the movie.

If I learned of Christ in the Bible, and accepted Him as my Savior once and for all based on what the Bible says, then it is quite fair to call the Bible the CAUSE to my EFFECT, which is Salvation and then Christianity.

So...I could try to explain my beliefs without the Bible, but I would only end up like "Feed the Children" or "Salvation Army". Both are great organizations, but they certainly lack the power of God unto salvation, and they do not necessarily follow Christ.

You see, without the Bible, the inspired and preserved Word of God, we would know nothing of salvation and living a life of joy and victory over sin as Christians. So...even if I COULD manage to explain my beliefs in Christ without the Bible, I would never do that.

You see, the Bible is God's love letter to his children. And to discredit its responsibility and involvement with the offer of salvation to the whole human race would be the greatest travesty of all, no?

You can't have an effect without a cause.

Thanks for reading, friend.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:16 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,469 times
Very good explanation. Thanks spike. I never thought of it like that.
Kudos to you!!

Old 04-20-2007, 10:38 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,907 times
its not judging to tell a non believer that without Jesus you are bound for hell, it is the truth. Judging has nothing to do with it.

christian beliefs are teh Bible so seperating the two makes no sense since we believe in the Word of God, The Bible.

In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God. John 1:1

Old 04-20-2007, 05:08 PM

476 posts, read 1,134,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
its not judging to tell a non believer that without Jesus you are bound for hell, it is the truth. Judging has nothing to do with it.
I am embarrased when non believers say "a Christian told me I'm going to hell". I think you can share your love for Christ without relying on scare tactics. A "just the facts" approach isn't the approach Jesus used. I find it hard to believe telling a non believer they are hellbound is done out of empathy or love. It's sad when one can't find a better way to share their faith. It's a copout to say one doesn't have the right tools to do so. We could easily rely on Jesus' example. Jesus used love and overwhelming sacrifice to spread the Word of God.

p.s. If you are a Christian spreading the word to non believers, and the main point they walk away with is eternal damnation….no offense to you. I suppose everyone does the best he/she can. If you are truly interested in witnessing to others though, I’d ask the spiritual leaders at church for guidance on how to be more effective.

My apologies to the OP, as this is off topic.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:52 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
I've resisted posting in P&oC for a few days, but it troubles me and my own conscience not to stand up for what I believe, think and understand.

Hoosier_guy asked a question, an important one, and I watched Christians answer, although he clearly was asking for another perspective, that of the non-Christian. Here in this article written by a Christian are all the answers I would provide as a non-Christian. Chris Hedges has many credentials, and someone I believe is attempting to understand the growing differences not only between one belief and another, but also to shed light on the growing disharmony we have in the United States as believers--whatever our belief is!

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/...ove_bombs_you/

In his first paragraph, he says,
There is a false, but effective, fiction that one has to be born again to be a Christian. The Christian right refuses to acknowledge the worth of anyone’s religious experience unless—in the words of the tired and opaque cliché—one has accepted “Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior.”
It would not hurt any self-reflective Christian, and doubting Thomas of any belief, to read what Hedges has to say. Why, you might ask? It is always useful to understand where the other person is coming from, and where we can improve our attitude, even if we don't change our belief.

Some of the non-believers have said very hurtful things, while some of the Christians have said as many hurtful and demeaning things.

As people I suggest we take our humanity as a first amendment, and our religious beliefs as part of that humanity rather than set ourselves apart as judges and jurors.

Amen!

Old 04-25-2007, 09:01 AM

callsnap, i dont really know what you are talking about since I never said Christians tell people to go to hell. Gods word tells people what will happen if we reject the Lord Jesus as savior and Lord. I never told or tell anyone to go to hell so i think you are talking to the wrong person.

funny you didnt address non believers for their attacks on the beliefs of believers but i didnt expect open mindedness

Old 04-25-2007, 03:00 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,995 times
Default dialogue

Very interesting and eye-opening topic here.. As a follower of Christ, I'm aware of the need for God's grace in my own life, and that is how I truly became a Christian. There was a time in my life when I believed in God and accepted the free gift of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ, but my Christian faith has been an ongoing one of studying God's word, growing with other followers of Christ, confessing my shortcomings in life, and living by example of what Christ teaches us. We must look back at the Cross and the Blood of Jesus and what that represents.
It is the Grace of God that leads us unto repentance (or turning away) of wrongful behavior which the Bible calls sin. Once we understand God's love for us, we can't help but throw all other religions out the door. To even comprehend in human terms of a God who created the Earth and desires All people to know Him in a real way is still beyond my grasp, but I accept it and choose to draw near to Him daily.
Y'all have a good day.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:58 PM

standing and being counted, not because of anything I have done or could do but what God has done for us all who believe in Him

Old 04-29-2007, 07:55 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,212,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
One thing that I like about Christians (and Jews) is that they are generous in giving to the needy. I don't care about their motives, either. I just like the fact that someone in need of food, clothing, shelter, or counseling can get help from Christian (and Jewish) organizations.

One thing that I don't like about Christians (and Jews) is their unfailing penchant for accepting every occurrence in life as "God's Will". After almost any tragedy you will see the suvivors crediting God with their good fortune.
Were those less fortunate souls less deserving, or perhaps not as special?

Along this same line, warriors on opposing sides going into battle pray to their god for His protection. Now, it's not enough that God has to decide who will win the football game, but He/She has to break away (if not a Multi-tasker) to decide who will die in this conflict. That is big-time responsibility.

I envy Christians. They can take the load from their shoulders and put it on God's back. The rest of us have to live with ourselves, accept the fact that bad things happen to good people for no reason, and treat others as we would like to be treated, knowing that there is no reward other than how good you feel when you have done the right thing.

I know it will all be revealed to me one day, maybe even in a CD post. In the meantime, please allow me to meander the path of life in ignorance. I do not hate you. How could I? All of my children are Christians.

Thank you for sharing this honest and touching post.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:19 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
I am assuming that by saying "REAL" christians you are talking about the actual definition of the word, which is: Professing belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
Somehow I do not think that is your definition of "REAL" Christian. My experience with "Bible Bangers" as I have affectionately termed the extreme "Born again" cults of Christian have left very unpleasant feelings about them. As a Catholic I have been told I am not a Christian...believe me that was news to me as I always thought that believing in Jesus as Christ made me one...but what ever.

However I do not like fundamentalist Christians because:

They are often racist/predjudice.
They are often close minded and ignorant to the beliefs of others.

What I do like about Christians:

Christmas trees. - Oh wait they stole that from the pagans didn't they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.