Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 06:50 PM

147 posts, read 312,820 times

Advertisements

Though I no longer consider myself a Christian, I feel I should read every so often to be able to converse with believers.

How does one rectify this?

In 1 John 2:19 you are told that in general. Anyone who is a believer will continue to be a believer.

"if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us."

Yet in 2 John 1:8 one is warned not to "lose" what you have worked for. Which I take to be your salvation.

"Watch out that you do not lose what you have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully."

Also, I remember having discussions with individuals that Christians still can sin since we are not perfect.

Yet in 1 John 3 "No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him. "

How do you come to terms with this as well?

P.S. - I've fully read each passage and feel like I have not taken anything out of context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 07:55 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajeck View Post
Though I no longer consider myself a Christian, I feel I should read every so often to be able to converse with believers.

In 1 John 2:19 you are told that in general. Anyone who is a believer will continue to be a believer.

"if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us."

Yet in 2 John 1:8 one is warned not to "lose" what you have worked for. Which I take to be your salvation.

"Watch out that you do not lose what you have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully."

Also, I remember having discussions with individuals that Christians still can sin since we are not perfect.

Yet in 1 John 3 "No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him. "

P.S. - I've fully read each passage and feel like I have not taken anything out of context.

These are both very good questions...
ones in which I had to reread both the chapters to figure out...
I have only read the first passages in 1John and 2John...will look at the others later.
I'm quite suprised that others haven't answered this question before now...for this is an honest question...
IMO--both of these verses are saying the same thing...
for if we really never had Christ in our hearts then we can lose Him...
For example...for many years, I would have called myself a Christian...I went to church...I talked to others about Him....but I feel that I didn't really know what being a Christian was until later in life...for later in life, I am a Christian and I can feel Him in my heart...this is quite a difference for me...I became a totally different person when I could feel Him in heart. I don't know about others.
I don't even know if this will make sense to everyone...but I think that the ones who have Him in their own heart will know what I am saying...

Old 06-22-2009, 08:03 PM

I wonder sometimes if we all start out the same...
that at first we all "say" we believe---even testifying to Him of our belief...we go to church (I know not all do..and not saying you HAVE to)...we study the word...we grow in the word....and then one day---we genuinely have Him in our hearts...
Is there anyone else who feels like this? or is it just me.
I wonder if there are some who do the first few things...but then give up before He enters their Heart....

Old 06-22-2009, 08:09 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:

None of these verses say you lose your salvation, if you got it, you got forever. And we do not have to work for it.
True believers do not make a practice of sinning. We still sin, but we are always striving to please God and not sin.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:13 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,759,564 times
Quote:

This is certainly one of the most difficult to understand chapters in the bible. But we have to remember that John was most concerned with love. In this chapter the sin to which he makes reference is the lack of love. Now Christ Died for sin, and in the spirit of Christ we are made new creatures in the spirit, yet in the flesh we are still corrupt till we put on incorruption. We must understand scripture in light of other scripture, and the light we must cast on this chapter is the light of romans 7 in my opinion. In the new testament, especially in the book of Galatians, we see that believers were sinning after having believed. In romans 7 Paul freely admits that even the believer serves the law of sin in the flesh, but the law of God in the spirit. I believe what John is refering to is living a life of sin without having the conviction of the spirit which causes us to confess our sins by conscience, while maintaining we believe in God. What i mean by a life of sin is that we do not live by love.

Let us not forget what is said in 1 john chapter 1 ...

John 1:9
"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

1Pe 4:8
"Love covers a multitude of sins"

Leviticus 19:1
Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.

Leviticus 19:18
Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.

1 John 2:9
He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, s in darkness even until now.

Romans 15:2
Let everyone of us please his neighbour for his good to edification.

Mat 22:36
"Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

Luke 10:29-37
But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?
And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves,
which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.

And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.
But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,

And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast,
and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.
And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence,
and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him;
and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.

Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?
And he said, He that showed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

What is most interesting and relevant in this group of verses is that the Samaritans where considered infidel impostors, as bad if not worse then the pagan gentiles. They where considered enemies of Israel and thus of God. Here Jesus uses the persona of a Samaritan to make an example of what, at least in the Hebrew mind at the time of Christ, was the among the most abhorrent of all cultures(due mainly to their claim of being the true descendants and heirs of Abraham. They were then what Islam might be considered today).

The point is love is the ultimate commandment of God, and the only means of fulfilling the law. I believe John to be speaking of those who claim to be godly, but actually live by conspiring to profit at the expense of others in one form or another.

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 06-22-2009 at 08:22 PM..

Old 06-22-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
None of these verses say you lose your salvation, if you got it, you got forever. And we do not have to work for it.
True believers do not make a practice of sinning. We still sin, but we are always striving to please God and not sin.
I agree with ILNC...
I believe once you have salvation that it can't be lost.....
What I was trying to say in my earlier post was that I don't believe I actually had salvation earlier in my life...IMO, I didn't have salvation until I knew in my heart that Jesus died for all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity