Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 06:55 AM
RSH RSH started this thread

147 posts, read 258,084 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I have been studying the Word a little more intensely the past few weeks,I hope you had received my letter from yesterday.

I have also been studying "The lost books of the Bible", The Book of Enoch,the Gospel of Thomas, Barnabas,Nicodemus,etc. and it seems that
many of these Books seem to be sound in their writings
and seems on the most part to go along with the canon as we know it today as the Bible.I have been reading that these books with many others were once read as the Word of God,and Christian literature especially around the 4th century and before.That Constantine had a hand in removing or adding what he wanted in the Canon
and that others through out the years have been doing the same thing.Jude 14-15 is taken from the book of Enoch the words are the same.Joshua 10:13 and 2 Samuel 1:18 talks about the Book of Jasher.I have also read about the Book of the war of the Lord in our old testament.(Sorry I will try to find the verse if anyone needs it.)What are your convictions on this......Robert.
May Gods peace be with you all,Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 07:19 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,561,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSH View Post
Hello everyone,

I have been studying the Word a little more intensely the past few weeks,I hope you had received my letter from yesterday.

I have also been studying "The lost books of the Bible", The Book of Enoch,the Gospel of Thomas, Barnabas,Nicodemus,etc. and it seems that
many of these Books seem to be sound in their writings
and seems on the most part to go along with the canon as we know it today as the Bible.I have been reading that these books with many others were once read as the Word of God,and Christian literature especially around the 4th century and before.That Constantine had a hand in removing or adding what he wanted in the Canon
and that others through out the years have been doing the same thing.Jude 14-15 is taken from the book of Enoch the words are the same.Joshua 10:13 and 2 Samuel 1:18 talks about the Book of Jasher.I have also read about the Book of the war of the Lord in our old testament.(Sorry I will try to find the verse if anyone needs it.)What are your convictions on this......Robert.
May Gods peace be with you all,Amen.
RSH I say this with love but, there are NO lost books of the bible or books taken out even though some of them were beautifully written; contain actual accounts even have good lessons but they all had something severe enough to discount them such as the Gospel of Thomas, a fake claimed to be written by Thomas but it was rejected by all not just Constantine. Gospel of Thomas is full of heretical issues pertaining to Jesus. It does not fall in line with the bible. I implore you to only stick to the bible when studying God's word. You can't go wrong. Those books are just that, "books" and need to stay "lost".
When they found Jesus supposed Ossuary they used one of the lost books, Gospel of Phillip to prove Jesus was married. That should show you how different these books are from the bible considering they couldn't use the bible itself to prove it. Trust me these books were kept out for a reason, they did not jive with the bible.

(2 Timothy 3:16-17) "16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good "work.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:26 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
The 66 books that are now Canon were generally accepted before Constantine was Emperor. In fact, some of the "other Gospels" weren't even written yet by the time of Constantine.

It's very interesting - the growing awareness of these "lost books". I think the public awareness of them is due partly to Brown's "The daVinci Code." All of the sudden, people are believing there was some kingdom-wide conspiracy that brought about the suppression of some books, and exaltation of others. Some people even espouse the idea that the Roman government made the rules.

But really, most of the "extra" books were cast aside for some very simple and obvious reasons. Some of them were penned by people dishonestly claiming to be apostles - though they were written hundreds of years after the last of the apostles died. Some of the extra writings were nothing more than kind of a passing commentary on some of the things Jesus did, and never claimed anything else.

Knowledge is a great thing. But a little knowledge can be either very dangerous or very helpful. Very dangerous if it leads us to accept half-truths, because we're satisfied with them. But very good if it spurns us on to further study, especially when that study is thorough enough that it lands us in the right place.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:43 AM

I understand not all the books are good,I am not sure which one exactly,but it said that Jesus told one of His disciples that people are blinded thinking that God had a hand in creation and that the creation was from Satan.This we can assume was un-Godly written.What about the others that is in God's Word like the book of Jasper for example,Joshua 10:13,and 2 Samuel 1:18.
Is the Word of God counterdicting itself,Satan and his army has been trying to do away with God's word from the beginning.Not all the word of God that was our Bible was found at the same time,neither did God have for His people from Genesis to Revelations at the garden of Eden either. I pray to God for His wisdom and understanding in this matter and while I study.
If I am wrong my God show me,as He always does......Bob

Old 04-02-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I understand not all the books are good,I am not sure which one exactly,but it said that Jesus told one of His disciples that people are blinded thinking that God had a hand in creation and that the creation was from Satan.This we can assume was un-Godly written.What about the others that is in God's Word like the book of Jasper for example,Joshua 10:13,and 2 Samuel 1:18.
Is the Word of God counterdicting itself,Satan and his army has been trying to do away with God's word from the beginning.Not all the word of God that was our Bible was found at the same time,neither did God have for His people from Genesis to Revelations at the garden of Eden either. I pray to God for His wisdom and understanding in this matter and while I study.
If I am wrong my God show me,as He always does......Bob
No, I don't believe there are contradictions there. When you read through the Bible, you see other writings mentioned. 1st Kings 11:41 mentions the "Annals of Solomon." The same chapter mentions the "Annals of the Kings of Israel" and the "Annals of the Kings of Judah." Elsewhere we see mention of the "Annals of King David" and the "Annals of Jehu."

I guess what I take from that is the realization that there certainly were other writings present during specific times. That's no surprise at all - and is in fact to be expected.

The only real question revolves around what we are to make of those other writings.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:58 AM

A few hundred years ago we had more than 66 books of the Bible and they were here before the Davinci code.(did not see the movie or read the book)
It was said that the books of the Maccebees was removed from most Bibles because It was believed to have too much war and violence.Jesus said seek and you will find ,knock and it will be opened unto you.The kjv was not the original canon their were others befor it.Here is the thing the word Bible does not appear in the Bible,The term Word of God does though,think about it.
Gods peace shall pass all understanding.B

Old 04-02-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
A few hundred years ago we had more than 66 books of the Bible and they were here before the Davinci code.(did not see the movie or read the book)
It was said that the books of the Maccebees was removed from most Bibles because It was believed to have too much war and violence.Jesus said seek and you will find ,knock and it will be opened unto you.The kjv was not the original canon their were others befor it.Here is the thing the word Bible does not appear in the Bible,The term Word of God does though,think about it.
Gods peace shall pass all understanding.B
Actually, I think you're referring to what is known as The Apocrypha - and it's in the Catholic Bibles. The books included are:
Tobit
Judith
Wisdom
Ecclesiasticus
Baruch
First and Second Maccabees
Additions to Esther and Daniel

Old 04-02-2009, 08:30 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,152,722 times
Read anything, read everything! Be secure in your faith.

You can tell, if your walk with Christ is sound, what is right, and wrong. I love reading The Shepherd of Hermas because some of the things shown to him, like the building of the Spiritual Temple, are so on the money.

And worse case, if what you are reading is wrong, then so be it. The Spirit will let you know, for sure. Just remember that whatever is written, must be in accord with the Scriptures, to have validity.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:44 AM

Who is to say they are not Gods word that had not been added to the canon?
The Books of the Old Testament have generations that track the blood line of Christ from Adam.Maybe the others don't I have not read all of them.Has any of you?The Apocryphal books are not the only ones I am only talking about.what about the others?Does God's word go against itself,does God change his mind on what he wanted us to know? I think not.Man thinks he can dictate what should or should not be, that includes what he feels should be known.As I said I will pray for understanding and wisdom in this area,has any of you?B

Old 04-02-2009, 08:56 AM

I want to let you all know I am not here to stir up strife or contention
I am secure in my faith and in my Savior Jesus Christ.
I feel their is unrest. I mean not to cause this ,we are one body
with one head which is Christ Jesus.God shows me when I am wrong and
corrects me as needed,If we are wrong we should correct each other in Godliness not who thinks they are wrong or right.I have a long way to go on learning all of God's word for He teaches me every day,I will not be perfect as long as I wear this flesh I know 1 thing I believe in Jesus as my Lord and savior and He will make me perfect one day when I go home to see Him....
In Christ,Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity