Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 07:01 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,312,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
To add to all this, whose "canon" are you going to accept, and why? The Catholic Bible? The King James, and all it's modern variations? How about the Ethiopian Bible? The Jewish scriptures? The Mormon Bible? Which "canon" did Jesus recognize? There are a LOT more...
Everyone of these sincerely believe their scripture is the only right and "authorized" official Word from God, and that the rest are wrong, or at the least, incomplete...
Did God ever give any human authority to determine what is, and what is not, the Word of God? How do you know? Just because your pastor says something is so doesn't neccessarily make it true. Remember, the pastors of those other denominations I mentioned are probably saying something entirely different...and they are all very sincere in their beliefs...
What "canon" did the early Christians have? Even if you happen to have a "copy" of a lost book (like, downloaded from the internet), how do you know it really is in fact a verbatim genuine copy of a 2000yr-old (+/-) writing? And, even if it is a genuine copy of an early church writing, how do you know it was God inspired to begin with? How are we to know which book was the very last official "real" word from God? What about the odd stuff found in the Dead Sea Scrolls, that you seldom hear about?
Just asking...

Me? About 99% of the time I go with the King James Version. Perhaps, just perhaps, it is not all of the original God-inspired writings. But...you know what? I don't worry about it...it's enough...it works for me. To me, it's not worth worrying that I might possibly be missing out on some "lost" book out there in never-never land...

Bud
There are so many versions out their to study a choose from when it comes down to the bible.
Quote:

did Jesus recognize?
Jesus didn't have to discern like us, because God knows all. Jesus was the walking Word, the truth in Flesh.

Even if there were bibles in those times, Jesus wouldn't have had to go to anyone of them, because He was the one who gave the scriptures and already knew what was being said.

Quote:
Did God ever give any human authority to determine what is, and what is not, the Word of God? How do you know?
If you have the Holy Spirit then you will know truth from false when it comes down to scripture and teachings. The Spirit will never accept a lie and will only accept the truth about Himself. So, yes God has given us His Spirit to discern.

Quote:
Just because your pastor says something is so doesn't neccessarily make it true
Yes, you are right, but before you sit under a pastor and even want to learn from your pastors teaching, you have to know where his teachings are coming from. Not all pastors are spirit lead. So, if you have the Holy Spirit He will guide you and allow you to see where you pastors teachings is coming from, whether it is evil or good.

Quote:
And, even if it is a genuine copy of an early church writing, how do you know it was God inspired to begin with? How are we to know which book was the very last official "real" word from God? What about the odd stuff found in the Dead Sea Scrolls, that you seldom hear about?
Just asking...
It really just comes down to following the Holy Spirits guidance. Yes, I read my bible from cover to cover, but that is only in english. So, I am learning Hebrew and Greek and what ever else I have to learn, so I can read the original text in Hebrew and Greek for myself. So, I'm willing to do the work to further my understanding of the bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 07:36 AM

2,984 posts, read 3,353,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
RSH I say this with love but, there are NO lost books of the bible or books taken out even though some of them were beautifully written; contain actual accounts even have good lessons but they all had something severe enough to discount them....
Assuming for a nano-second you have taken the time to read Sirach; perhaps you can tell us what separates Ecclesiastes (Canon) from Ecclesiasticus?

Ecclesiasticus=

HERE

Old 04-03-2009, 07:53 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,584,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy_56 View Post
Assuming for a nano-second you have taken the time to read Sirach; perhaps you can tell us what separates Ecclesiastes (Canon) from Ecclesiasticus?

Ecclesiasticus=

HERE
I don't need to read Sirach to know we shouldn't be using other books other than the bible to grow in holiness. I say to God, your word is enough. People who want to study other books for spiritual guidance are saying, your word is not enough. That's where it starts, other books; other revelations and then God's word becomes irrelevant. It's called divine inspiration. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 04-03-2009 at 08:13 AM..

Old 04-03-2009, 09:31 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,894,942 times
Here's some good info on how they decided what is "canon":

The Canon of Scripture

What is the canon of Scripture?

Biblical canon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bible.org: The Bible: The Holy Canon of Scripture

Blue Letter Bible - Help, Tutorials, and FAQs

There are many other good sources...just "GIO" (Google it online)

Bud

Old 04-03-2009, 10:15 AM

63,949 posts, read 40,236,649 times
Birdy and BudinAK,

Thank you both for your efforts to encourage scholarship to those merely reading the bible literally. I suspect it is wasted effort for the most part . . . but seekers and others here and among the lurkers can benefit greatly from it. God Bless, Mystic.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:21 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,584,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Birdy and BudinAK,

Thank you both for your efforts to encourage scholarship to those merely reading the bible literally. I suspect it is wasted effort for the most part . . . but seekers and others here and among the lurkers can benefit greatly from it. God Bless, Mystic.

Do you mean that literally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity