Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 03:04 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,075,091 times

Advertisements

What is going on THERE?? Am I right? Am I right? Thats some crazy stuff huh?

For those who don't agree with the statement above please give your synopsis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 04:51 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,666,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post

...LOL......you're so funny!...

Old 01-13-2009, 04:54 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,191,495 times
I would've loved to be sitting around that campfire...

Old 01-13-2009, 05:22 PM

605 posts, read 1,108,555 times
Take a peep--------------> HERE

Old 01-13-2009, 06:05 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,666,662 times
Lightbulb How Ironic is this?...

Quote:

bigthirsty...no sooner did I post the above, that a program came on called "Creation Evidence", based out of Texas...DID YOU KNOW?..(and I did not)..that...14 Seperate Sciences are examined in the Book of Job? I could only write so fast, so I missed 9 of them...5 of them being: Anthropoligy; Astro- Physics; Psychology; Radientology; and Nutrition!
The only thing I was quick enough to jot down was: In Job 40:15-24, it mentions the Behemoth Dinosaur, and describes it! I think that may bery well blowq thw "theory" of evolution right out of the sulfur pond!...just a little FYI!...

Old 01-14-2009, 10:10 AM

37,485 posts, read 61,466,561 times
Quote:

I do not follow you at all.

"What is going on in the book of Job?"

There are many commentaries, many theories. I have no problem with it.

Job is the oldest book in writing.

A man lived in Fear and acted upon his fears. What he feared befell him. Later after much agony, he was finally released from his blunder, but only after he focused on ministering to his friends.

He stopped acting out of fear, and he instead prayed for his friends, then he was blessed once again.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:47 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,555,532 times
Hmmm, I do not find any "crazy stuff" there! I find it a very interesting book, and it is full of the wisdom of God.
And full of many good lessens, from the first chapter to the last.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:01 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,442,420 times
The book of Job is one of my favorites.

People say that God was wagering with Satan, but they appear to not have read the text or see what God is doing. Remember, Satan is just Lucifer God's top angel. Satan came before him and God asked him a question. "Have you considered my servant Job". Satan said if you do this or that to Job he will curse you. That is because that is what Satan would have done. But, God knew the faithfulness of Job. So he let Satan trouble him for a short season. Since Job during this time remained faithful to God, God restored him and gave him more children and more posessions than he ever had. God also gave him a long life.

Would you risk a few months of being tried to not have to work or be blessed with riches for the rest of your life? I have seen many people do crazy things for a chance at money. Not that Job was motivated by money. But, I think you can see what I am talking about. God tried Job for a very short time and blessed him for a long time based on his remaining faithful.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:48 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,075,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post

People say that God was wagering with Satan, but they appear to not have read the text or see what God is doing. Remember, Satan is just Lucifer God's top angel. Satan came before him and God asked him a question. "Have you considered my servant Job". Satan said if you do this or that to Job he will curse you. That is because that is what Satan would have done. But, God knew the faithfulness of Job. So he let Satan trouble him for a short season. Since Job during this time remained faithful to God, God restored him and gave him more children and more posessions than he ever had. God also gave him a long life.

Would you risk a few months of being tried to not have to work or be blessed with riches for the rest of your life? I have seen many people do crazy things for a chance at money. Not that Job was motivated by money. But, I think you can see what I am talking about. God tried Job for a very short time and blessed him for a long time based on his remaining faithful.
So far Nikk knows what I'm talkin' about.

Nikk.. you use "trouble" very lightly by saying "he let Satan trouble him for a short season".

You have no problem with that? That God willfully let Satan bestow deeds of bad fortune on Job.. as a test. That isn't "letting him trouble him". Thats outright abusing him.

I fully understand the meaning of Job.. but God is all knowning. He already knew Job's heart. He essentially allowed Job to be abused to prove to Satan. So he is using his own children as an example? That is messed up.

Example:

I tell a friend of mine that my child will allow my friend to burn her with a hot iron. My friend denies this. I tell my child that in order to prove her love she needs to allow my friend to burn her with a hot iron and if she does.. she'll receive as many cookies as she wants.

My child does it. She gets a burned, has excrutiating pain, blisters and needs medical help but she gets cookies. My friend is impressed by the child's love for me.

That.. is totally messed up because in the example:

1. I willfully allowed somone to burn my child and stood back as it happened.
2. I did this not out of love for the child.. but out of love for myself (as I was proving a point to a friend).
3. The whole act is self serving to me.

There is no other way to look at it. You may downplay the "trouble".. you may downplay the "time span". It doesn't matter. Quite simply its a morality issue that I have BIG issues with.

Again.. the example I gave is just that.. an example.

Unlike what other people to believe about the bible which is that everything happened happened literally.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:16 PM

605 posts, read 1,108,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post

The bolded area is rather disturbing. Thank Odin it's just a myth to teach a lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity