Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 04:41 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times

Advertisements

What constitutes a selfish prayer?

Sometimes I feel guilty because I worry that I pray for myself too much and not enough for others.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 04:50 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,007 times
make a list

spend time praying for those who are in need

sometimes we pray for ourselves only because we want to cut the prayers short.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:54 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

Sometimes I feel guilty because I worry that I pray for myself too much and not enough for others.

Thoughts?
Any prayer that does not glorify Jesus.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:02 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,003,071 times
Have you ever heard of The Prayer of Jabez? I highly recommend it. It's easily read in less than a day if you're so inspired, that's how thin it is. But just keep in mind, while God does answer prayer, it may not be the answer you're hoping for.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:05 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Any prayer that does not glorify Jesus.
I believe in starting all prayer out with praise and repentance but also that prayers asking for specific things (Ask and you shall receive) praising Him for hearing your prayer and that He has already answered it is also glorifying Jesus/God.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:04 PM

14,880 posts, read 17,153,412 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
What do you pray for when you pray for yourself? For example, are you praying that God will use you on your job to glorify Him? Are you praying that he molds and makes you into a person that He uses to help bring others to Him? These are not selfish prayers to me because they glorify Him. God bless.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:14 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,439,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
I believe in starting all prayer out with praise and repentance but also that prayers asking for specific things (Ask and you shall receive) praising Him for hearing your prayer and that He has already answered it is also glorifying Jesus/God.
And ending with: Let your will be done in my life Lord and not my own. For you Father know what my needs are before I can make them known and I trust you Daddy with my life, In Jesus name, Amen.

Give Him full control, knowing He has your best interest at heart.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:51 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

Thoughts?
Just thank God for his blessings in your life and pray that his will be done.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
And ending with: Let your will be done in my life Lord and not my own. For you Father know what my needs are before I can make them known and I trust you Daddy with my life, In Jesus name, Amen.

Give Him full control, knowing He has your best interest at heart.
"Daddy"? LOL That just struck me funny.

God says to come boldly to the thrown...He wants us to be bold. If we want something, ask for it. If he doesn't think it's best for us he'll let us know. But be strong enough to ask at least. Think for yourself and do what you can to help yourself giving Him praise in all things. But be bold.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:16 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,439,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
"Daddy"? LOL That just struck me funny.

God says to come boldly to the thrown...He wants us to be bold. If we want something, ask for it. If he doesn't think it's best for us he'll let us know. But be strong enough to ask at least. Think for yourself and do what you can to help yourself giving Him praise in all things. But be bold.
Yes, DADDY, A father to the fatherless........................................ .......Don't you call your father dad, daddy? Or your children (if you have any) call you daddy? (if you are male) He's my EVERYTHING!! Make a list: Father, daddy, brother, teacher, friend..............................get the picture! It's whatever your personal R-E-L-A-T-I-O-N-S-H-I-P is with Him. Yes, He's MY daddy!

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 11-22-2008 at 04:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity