Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2010, 11:09 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,216,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post

Christy I would add one little thing to this. I know the biblical god gets all the blame, but to be fair to "him" he has been used and abused by man over the ages. The truth is, he does not exist, however, man has created him and many others like him, to excuse their vileness. For example, when we read in Numbers 31:1 that god "spoke unto Moses" and told him to go kill Midianites, are we really to believe some deity actually told Moses to go kill his (Moses') wife's people or was it Moses' own crazy idea? Throwing a god or some other religious reason in was just to make it excusable like modern day terrorist do. Heck, later in the same story, Moses is angry that the army actually spared the male children. We don't read that god spoke to him at that point and told him to hack all of them to death, right? Did the writer forget to toss god in to qualify the decision to kill all of those children and to also play gynecologists to see which girl chidren were still virgins?

What about Abraham? Are we really to believe some deity told this guy to go kill his son just for some sick "let me see what this guy would do for me" pleasure OR did the writer just have a little too much beans for dinner while telling the story at the fire?
That was my point EXACTLY....to attribute all that insanity to a supposed loving god is just lunacy. It's a book written by a bunch of piggish men for their own benefit and to control those around them.

If there is a God/Creator/Higher Power....and that is a big "IF"....we don't know the first thing about this entity and while we may all speculate and give our thoughts and ideas about who or what we think this entity is....that's all it is....pure SPECULATION.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 11:17 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,393,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Only the religious nuts will think that...I just think she has apostisized...
I think she just sees the error of what most christians beleive.

Most beleive God creates good and evil

Therefore seeing a God that will do these things it is no wonder people laugh, fall away, get angry etc. at/from God.

Those in the OT never knew God in His true light, thus Jesus came in order to show us the Father.

If you match up what Jesus say of God and what those in the OT thought of God they are totally different.

For instance someone brought up the point where it records that God told Moses to go and kill everyone including children. So Moses goes and does exactly that.

My Question is why would Moses think God ment for him to physically murder everyone?

It is because he/Moses beleived in a God who creates both good and evil.

If Moses had of come to the knowledge of God, that God cannot create evil then Moses would have understood what God really was saying to him in those scriptures.

Which is kill your enemies by making them your friend.

When your enemy becomes your friend you have killed your enemy.

IMO as long as people continue to see a God who creates both good and evil they have not yet seen God through the eyes of Christ.

Anyway that is my rant for the day

Old 05-28-2010, 11:22 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,008,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
If Moses had of come to the knowledge of God, that God cannot create evil then Moses would have understood what God really was saying to him in those scriptures.

Which is kill your enemies by making them your friend.

When your enemy becomes your friend you have killed your enemy.
Huh???

Old 05-28-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Huh???
Yep, that is the sentiment I get from most people

Old 05-28-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
That was my point EXACTLY....to attribute all that insanity to a supposed loving god is just lunacy. It's a book written by a bunch of piggish men for their own benefit and to control those around them.

Moses, Joshua, David and the gang were no different that today's modern day terrorists IF we are to believe the stories told about them in the bible. AND they made sure they used god/religion to justify their actions.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:25 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,776,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I have no idea where you were going with that rant...
Really? Or are just saying that so you can ignore it, because it seemed pretty straight forward to me.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Yep, that is the sentiment I get from most people
I want the same thing you had for lunch.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Moses, Joshua, David and the gang were no different that today's modern day terrorists IF we are to believe the stories told about them in the bible. AND they made sure they used god/religion to justify their actions.
Killing in the name of God, thinking to do Him service.

There is nothing new under the sun.

It all stems from beleiving in a God who creates good and evil.

Think about it.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneindamembrane View Post
i want the same thing you had for lunch.
lol :d

Old 05-28-2010, 11:42 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,534,337 times
Quote:
It's the Friday before a major holiday. A little diversion should not hurt, right? lol

Anyway, I just hopped in on the last few pages so my apologies to the author of this thread and the mods.
I think it's ok... I meant I was off topic as far as the off topic topic... I think Meerkat stated that it was a revived thread that she no longer seeks an answer to... I think.

No worries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity