Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 01:42 PM

258 posts, read 790,424 times

Advertisements

"And God proceeded to create man in his image, in God's image he created them." (Gen 1:26-27) Yes, man was created to be both God's "image and glory." (1Cor 11:7) Yet if God created us to reflect his image and glory, how is it that "all men sin a fall short of the glory of God?" (Rom 3:23) Is it God's fault? Did he deliberately make us imperfect? Or was it a deficiency on God's part that we are full of inadequacies?

No. God did not make us destined to failure. He did not cruelly create us impaired or defective. Nor were there mistakes made by him in our creation. In a song taught to Israel by Moses, this fact is made sure. He sang, "The Rock, perfect is his activity... they (man) have acted ruinously on their own part... the defect is their own." (Deut 32:4-5 / Rom 1:21-23 / Eccl 7:29 / Jh 3:19 / Job37:16)

If Jehovah God did not create man with imperfection then how was it that man became imperfect and why did God allow this to happen? To answer these questions we must first consider four things;

1. What being created in God's image means.

2. What human perfection was.

3. What their punishment meant to human perfection.

4. What the issues are that all of Jehovah's intelligent creatures face.

GOD'S IMAGE;
Humankind was created differently than all other creatures on earth. We were made with the ability to reason and meditate. With intelligence and emotions that allow us to discern and understand and to form ideas. We have a conscience and can develop integrity, faith and respect. We have an ability to perceive justice and can make moral decisions based on what we know. We are the image, or the "reflection" of God. Ephesians 4:24 shows us that the "new personality" that we are urged to develop, is according to God's will.

The fruits of the spirit (gal 5:22-23) show us the image of God as well.
Love (1Jh 4:8), Joy (1Tim 1:11), Peace (1Cor 14:33), Long-Suffering (Rom 9:22), Kindness (James 5:11), Goodness (Mr 10:18 / Ps 86:5), Faith (Deut 7:9), Mildness and Self-Control (Ex 34:6)

All of these things taken into consideration, we can see that being created in the image of God means that we are free-thinking beings, we possess the quality of free will. Our actions then, can be our own. God did not control man, nor did he ever intend to when he created man. He set out guidance for us and wants us to obey him out of sincere love for him. We reflect God's glory when we use our good qualities to the very best of our abilities. Being sinful means missing the mark.

HUMAN PERFECTION:
Human perfection was lost to mankind when the first human pair used their free will in a way contrary to God's requirements. Perfection did not mean that Adam and Eve could do no wrong. If this were the case then what would it have been for God to give them guidance and commands, and for what reasons would the devil come to tempt them to disobey? To further illustrate this point, Jesus, like Adam and Eve, was created a perfect human. (Lu 1:30-35/ Heb 7:26) And like the first human pair he possessed the ability to make personal decisions and could be tested. Yet when Satan tested Jesus, he chose to remain faithful to God, he was obedient even to death. (Heb 4:15, Heb 4:8 / Matt 4:1-11) So you see, the perfection of man of man is not infinite, it is relative. Only Jehovah is perfect in an absolute sense. (Ps 148:13, Ps 18:3, Ps 19:7 / Job 36:26)

God created man perfect, but within human limitations. Being perfect did not mean that he could ingest metal, breath under water, defy gravity and so forth, without bringing harm to himself. Likewise, if a man allowed his mind and heart to dwell on wrong desires and thoughts, this would lead him to harm as well. (James 1:14-15 / Matt 4:4) Perfection, as we can see, did not mean that Adam, Eve and Jesus could not reason, discern and make choices, nor did it mean that they could act in a way contrary to the way God made them to be without ill effects.

THE PUNISHMENT;
Why did God not prevent mans fall to sin? The answer, because God is righteous. Adam and Eve were perfect human beings, they were made in God's image and so were fully competent and well equipped to make good choices. They were also given God's direct guidance. Jehovah interacted with them. They were not faced with any of the hardships and sorrows that plague mankind today, there were no illnesses, no famine, no crime, violence or wars, so when Jehovah gave them the command not to eat from one tree, it was hardly a harsh request, this was not a burden to them. Yet with everything they had, Eve coveted what rightly only belonged to God; the prerogative to determine what was good and what was bad for them. (Jer 10:23) Their sin was an intentional decision.

Immediately after their sin their behaviour showed the disharmony that had suddenly sprung up between them and God for they hid their divinely created bodies. Their consciences caused them to feel guilt, anxiety and insecurity. (Rom 2:15) But yet when confronted by God about what they had done, Adam and Eve, although full of shame, felt no humble desire to repent. Instead of confessing their sin, apologizing and asking for their Father's forgiveness, they both shifted the blame away from themselves. (Gen 3:8-13 / Ezek 33:14-16 / Prov 28:13 / 2Chron 7:14) Jehovah therefore carried out his earlier decree, the punishment of death. This was a decision of perfect righteousness. (Heb 6:8 / Ex 20:5 / Deut 32:4) God removed his protective life-sustaining power from them, driving them from the garden and the tree of life, and their bodies began to die.

THE UNIVERSAL ISSUES;
There are issues at hand that all intelligent living beings must face. Universal issues that effect each and every one of us. Their theme is carried throughout the <i>entire</i> Bible and it began in the garden paradise of Eden when Satan slandered God and lied to the woman Eve.

In effect Satan accused Jehovah of withholding freedom and power from them. He suggested that they would be better off without God and all they would need to do to obtain this withheld greatness wa disobey God. He told them that their doing this would bring no harm to them, but instead would grant them power to be like God. (Gen 3:1-5) Satan made the taunt to God that humans served him only for what they could get from him, and if that wasn't enough for them (as in the case of Adam and Eve) or if their lives were filled with hardship and heartache (as in the case of Job) all humans would turn away from him. Satan claimed that he could mislead anyone away from Him.

Jehovah fairly allows Satan time to prove all of his claims, just as he allowed it with Job and his own Son, Jesus. Throughout the pages of the Bible, God warns all who would serve him of the devil's ways and of his wicked allegations. He knows "Satan is roving about on the earth" like a "roaring lion seeking to devour" all of us. (Job 1:7 / 1Pet 5:8) Jehovah as given us the truth, Satan tries to distort it. Jehovah gives us his guidance, Satan tries to mislead us away from them. Jehovah gives us his commands, Satan belittles them and tries to persuade us to break them. Satan cares not if we are aware that it is he who deceives us, for it is <i>Jehovah</i> he taunts. (Prov 27:11)

The universal issues, the questions we must answer and the choices we must make, are these;<br><br>Which God will we obey? Our Creator and heavenly Father, Jehovah, or, the god of this system of things, Satan the devil?

Will we prove Satan wrong in all of his charges and make God's heart rejoice?

Are we going to be a part of God's flock of sheeplike ones or are we among the deluded masses of Satan's seed? (1Cor10:21 / 2Cor 6:15 / Matt 7:13-27 / Gen 3:15 / Acts 26:17-18)

An Overview;
With God's attributes, humans were created in his image, therefore possessing the quality of free-will which makes them to follow Jehovah guidance in genuine love.

Human perfection was sustained by God and simply meant that the human body and mind were free of defects and for this were protected from aging and illness by God's love. Perfection did not prevent man from making choices, whether in harmony with God's will or in error.

Eve, by selfishly desiring independence from God, allowed herself to become deceived by Satan's lies and so she forsook Jehovah and sinned. Adam, who put no stock in the claim that their disobedience would bring no consequence, chose his wife's favor and love over that of God's and sinned deliberately. (1Tim 2:14) When confronted with their sin they showed no repentance and would accept no responsibility for their actions.

Satan sinned gravely, for he did not accuse Jehovah of some unknowing error. He accused God of deliberate misrepresentation of matters, saying, "For God <i>KNOWS...</i>" This angel's actions showed that he was thoroughly alienated in heart from God for he stooped to utterly abhorrent means to accomplish his scheme. He became a liar nd an ambition driven murderer, since he knew the fatal consequences of what he suggested to his human listener. (John 8:44)

Maintaining his holiness, Jehovah justly imposed the sentence of death on them. He cut them off from his life sustaining spirit when he drove them from the garden to act upon the decision they had made, the decision to choose for themselves right from wrong, the decision to guide and govern themselves without God. Jehovah allows Satan time to prove his claims that man will not serve him without gain, and man, the time to make their choice of gods, proving to all that without his perfect guidance, all attempts to walk alone, will fail. These things preserve his sacred name and clear it of the great reproach that Satan brought upon it. God's words are faithful and true, his actions righteous and just.

Clearly we see that Jehovah's purpose for mankind was not to grow old, ill or die. It was not the will of God that the world be filled with pollution, violence and crime. The great suffering and injustices existing in the world were not in God's plan when he created this beautiful earth and perfect human beings. These things all exist as consequences of <i>our</i> sin, <i>our</i> transgressions, <i>not</i> God's.

Will these terrible conditions ever change? Yes! God did not throw up his hands and forget about his purpose when Satan, Adam and Eve sinned. His will <i>will</i> be done. How? Jesus prayed for God's kingdom to come because this was the provision he provided as a means to fulfill his original purpose on earth. (You may read the following study God's Kingdom, What, When, Where and Why? (http://www.wtv-zone.com/bibleguidance/1Astudy5kingdom1.html - broken link) to see how it will accomplish this monumental task.)

A PROFOUND THOUGHT;
Absolutely <i>anything</i> we do that is not in harmony with God's will, that is against his personality, standards, ways and approval, is a sin. Think about that for a moment. Anything God would not do himself or approve of us doing is a sin. Sin is missing the mark. When thought of in this light we can see many things as sin that we never thought of as sin before. It is clear that everyone needs the ransom sacrifice of Christ, our Lord and Savior! (2Chron 6:36 / Matt 26:28)

There are many obvious ways that one might sin, such as outright defiance of anything upright and morally clean, but is it a sin, one might ask, to celebrate a harmless holiday, Halloween for instance, or support war efforts at our country's request? Remember, if God himself would not do it, he would not approve of our doing it. Our involvement would be a direct rebellion against <i>him,</i> a sin.

One can sin in words; (Job 2:10/ Ps 39:1)

One can sin in deed; (2Cor 12:21/ Gal 5:19:21)

One can sin in thought; (Matt 5:27-28/ Jer 17:9)

A sin can be a failing to do what should be done; (James 4:17/ Num 9:13)

It can even be a wrong attitude or disposition; (Pr 21:4/ Rom 3:9-18/ 2Pet 2:12-15)

A lack of faith in God is a major sin for it shows a distrust of him and a lack of confidence in his ability; (Heb 3:12-13/ Heb 3:18-19)

There are also different aspects of sin. Sins may be errors or mistakes, made either in ignorance or foolishness. These are moral misconceptions, distortions of what is right. Any who do not submit to God's will are not guided by his perfect wisdom and justice and are therefore bound to err. An error, whether it be intentional (a conscious deviation from what is right) or inadvertent (a unknowing mistake) is still a sin and brings a person into guilt before God. (Isa 59:1-3 / Rom 10:2-3 / Jer 14:10 / Lev 5:1-19 / Ps 19:12-13/ Num 15:22-31 / 1Tim 1:13 / Lu 12:47-48) It is a sin also to wilfully remain ignorant of God's will by rejecting any knowledge of him. (2Thess 2:9-12 / Pr 1:22-23 / Hos 4:6-8 / Jh 17:3)

Legally convicting all of Adam's descendants, the Law covenant spoke to Moses, was added to the Abrahamic covenant "to make transgressions manifest" so that "all things together might be delivered up to the custody of sin." This showed that <i>all</i> clearly needed forgiveness and salvation through the Messiah, Jesus Christ. (Gal 3:17-22) Therefore, if Paul had put himself back under the Mosaic Law, he would have made himself a transgressor <i>again</i> under the Mosaic Law, and subject to it's condemnation. He would have been shoving aside "the undeserved kindness of God" that provided release from that condemnation. (Gal 2:18-21 / Gal 1:10)

Yes, 2Chron 6:36 confirms that "there is no man who does not sin." So by nature all of mankind are sinners. But in the Bible, the word "sinner" is a term used to describe those who make a <i>practice</i> of sin. (1Jh 3:4-9 / Lu 7:37-39) There are also varying degrees of sin. The people of Sodom were called "gross sinners," the Israelites who made themselves a golden calf god had committed a "great sin." (Gen 13:13-20 / 2Tim 3:6-7 / Ex 32:30-31 / 2Ki 17:16-21 / Isa 1:4-10 / Isa 3:9 / Lam 1:8 / Lam 4:6)

Sin is an affront to God's own person, he is not indifferent to it, and it's gravity increases his indignation. (Rom 1:18 / Deut 29:22-28 / Job 42:7 / Ps 21:8-9) But his wrath is not stirred solely by those offending him alone, but also by causing injury and injustice to humans, his faithful servants in particular. Zec2:8 "He that is touching you is touching my eyeball." (Isa 10:14/Mal 2:13-16 / 2Thess 1:6-10) One can be guilty of sin before God simply by approval, accepted toleration or association with wrongdoers. (Ps 50:18-21) Therefore, anyone who wishes to remain in the symbolic city of Babylon the Great would "receive part of her plagues." (Rev 18:2-8 / 1Jh 1:9-11 / Tit3:10-11 / 1Tim 5:22 / 2Cor6:16-17 / Eph 5:11-2 / Ps 119:115 / James 4:4)

THE UNFORGIVABLE SIN;
Many people are unaware that there is a sin that is unforgivable. The sin against God's spirit, that is, wilfully and knowingly speaking out against God in an irreverent or impious manner.

Matt 12:31-32 "Every sort of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven man, but the blasphemy against the spirit will not be forgiven. For example, whoever speaks a word against the Son of man, it will be forgiven him, but whoever speaks against the holy spirit, it will not be forgiven him, no, not in this system of things or the one to come."

This could be manifest as apostasy. For instance, a person who has come to an accurate knowledge of truth and has found pure worship of God which is led by God's holy spirit, but then deliberately turns against it and desecrates and reviles it, this one has become "guilty of everlasting sin." (Mr 3:28-30)

Knowledge of truth brings with it greater responsibility for our sins. Heb 10:26-27 "If we practice sin wilfully, after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, but there is a certain fearful expectation of judgement."

Sin and YOU</b></P><P>But perhaps you may feel that because sin is an inherited condition in all of us or because Jesus' ransom sacrifice was given to us, a gift of forgiveness of sins, that a persons sins don't matter all that much. This is a dangerous attitude to adopt for it frees a person's conscience of wrongdoing and opens the way for free reign of badness. Keep in mind that <i>Jesus</i> warned against sinning. (Matt 5:27-30/ Matt 6:14) And the subject of sin and the importance of avoiding it was a subject of high priority even <i>after</i> Jesus had sacrificed his life as a forgiveness of sins!

Rom 6:12-15 "Do not let sin continue to rule as king in your mortal bodies that you should obey their desires... sin must not be master over you, you are not under law but under undeserved kindness. Shall we commit sin because we are not under law but under undeserved kindness? Never may that happen!

Rom 7:15-24</a> "What I wish, this I do not practice, but what I hate is what do... the good that I wish to do, I do not do, but the bad that I do not wish to do is what I practice... miserable man that I am!"

It is helpful in our fight against sin to keep in mind the <i>origin</i> of sin. (1Jh 3:8 / 1Jh 5:19 / Eph 6:12 / 2Thess 2:8-10)

Ps 38:3-6, Ps 38:18 & Ps 41:4 show that a conscience loaded down with sin can become a burden, a heavy load on our hearts. It can destroy our inner peace, bring us disconcertedness, sadness, stress and spiritual sickness. But as the psalmist prayed, God can bring a healing to the conscience of those suffering over their sinful state. You should not feel as if the sins you bear are too much to be forgiven for "God is good, and ready to forgive." (Ps 86:5) Remember the wicked king Manassah. He was responsible for setting up alters for worship of the false god Baal and for perpetrating several false religious practices. He practiced magic, employed divination and promoted spiritistic practices. He was guilty of shedding much innocent blood, which may have included God's prophet Isaiah, who was sawed in half! (2Ki 21:1-17 / 2Chron 33:1-11) Yet truly repentant of his wicked ways, Manassah humbled himself before God and prayed and begged forgiveness and <i>Jehovah forgave him!</i>. Why? Jehovah saw into his heart and saw that Manassah was sincere, and in great mercy, he forgave him of all of these great sins. (Jer 17:10)

The sincerity of a person petitioning God for forgiveness is of utmost importance. Faith in Jehovah God <i>must</i> be manifest, and this faith finds it's foundation in knowledge of God's word and will. (Ps 119:11 / Pr 19:2) Study of the Bible and a clear understanding of it's purpose will lead you to a greater appreciation of Jehovah's immense love for us. It is filled with examples to guide us in the right direction and principles that can enrich our lives. However, it should also be understood that God does not hem us in with a profusion of instructions that govern every minute aspect of our lives. Man is given just enough guidance through the Holy Scriptures that he could use his intelligence to discern other aspects of that guidance. Man is given ample space to display his individual personality and preferences within the expanse of Jehovah's appointed boundaries.

A person's conscience is a moral monitor, a lie detector, an inner voice that carries the guilt of sin and prods us to refrain from sinning. But a person's conscience must be <i>trained,</i> trained in harmony with God's word. (Heb 9:14 / 2Tim 3:16-17 / Acts 24:16) By faith in God and the gift he ha given us by means of Jesus's ransom sacrifice, we too may have a clean conscience before our heavenly Father. (1Pet 3:21/ 1Pet 3:16 / Heb 9:9-14 / Heb 13:18 / 1Tim 1:5-6 / 1Tim 1:9 / 2Tim 1:3 / Acts 23:1) Soon sin and all of it's consequences will be done away with, and so too the originator of sin. (1Cor 15:25-26/ Rev 21:3-4) Jehovah has lovingly provided us with the hope that this world will be freed of sin's effects. (2Pet 2:4-9 / Pr 10:30/ Isa 11:3-5) It is the hope of the Messianic kingdom of God that will accomplish this monumental feat and as you will learn in the next study (God's Kingdom, What, When, Where & Why) this kingdom will bring tremendous blessing to God's loving and loyal servants on earth.

~ END ~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity