Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2023, 08:03 PM

4,859 posts, read 450,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Do you (all who have posted so far) believe that the Holy Ghost plays any role in your personal life?
Absolutely! Whenever I face a choice, a decision to be made. The Spirit also opens my brain to learn, and my heart, to make good use of what I'm being taught, or what experience FORCES me to learn...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2023, 08:45 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitonmywhat View Post
Absolutely! Whenever I face a choice, a decision to be made. The Spirit also opens my brain to learn, and my heart, to make good use of what I'm being taught, or what experience FORCES me to learn...
I agree completely!

Old 11-11-2023, 09:43 PM

2,536 posts, read 2,735,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The Holy Spirit connects with our soul, and directs our soul and mind. Specifically, he/it guides us, leads us, and clarifies matters for us. It's having a bit of God / the universe inner-dwelling in us; linking us to all.

It'd be pretty shabby to not have he/it; leaving a bit gap in the link with God / cosmic. The Holy Spirit is certainly very mysterious. I like it not being well-defined. We need to things loose like that, to remind us we don't and can't know everything.
I have a hard time understanding the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirt is the Word?

If he directs our soul and mind why do we sin or make bad decisions?

Old 11-12-2023, 08:22 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,445,126 times
The Holy Spirit takes up where Jesus left off. When Jesus was here, He taught the disciples in the flesh, from a physical standpoint. He lead them and kept them. Yet because He was outside, there was only so much they could understand from His teachings. Now when Jesus ascended to heaven, then the Spirit came and in dwelt the disciples. So there was a move from the outward and physicality of Jesus' ministry, now to a heart and spiritual ministry. By His power, He causes us to understand and live righteously.

Old 11-12-2023, 08:59 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
We make bad decisions when we don't listen to him. It's not as if He is calling out the shots and we are pre-programmed to do exactly as He tells us.

Old 11-12-2023, 09:48 AM

14,876 posts, read 17,148,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
How do you see the Holy Ghost/Holy Spirit? Do you believe He is active in our lives today? If so, how? If not, why not?
Hi, the Holy Spirit is the power and presence of God living in believers. I do not believe that the Holy Spirit is a person but it is the power of God residing in me helping me to live for God. The Holy Spirit helps me to want to change by mind and behaviors to be in line with what God wills and the Holy Spirit helps me to pray, interceding for me when I pray or when I don't know how to pray. The Holy Spirit is the guarantee of our inheritance. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 11-12-2023 at 10:16 AM..

Old 11-12-2023, 04:55 PM

4,859 posts, read 450,647 times
...Further, the Spirit IS the presence of the Lord for us, now that Jesus is already in eternal glory.

Old 11-12-2023, 10:16 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
I have a hard time understanding the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirt is the Word?
The magical supernatural thinking about the Holy Spirit is what confuses and misdirects our focus so we miss His guidance while thinking we have it magically. We have to be in the proper state of mind to receive the guidance of the Holy Spirit. There is no magic involved. Our state of mind is the controlling factor. We need to be "in Christ" (in the mind of Christ) to be guided by Him. It is not rocket science or magic. If we are in the wrong state of mind we are susceptible to "sin" or mistakes. That is why I have been posting the states of mind associated with God's Holy Spirit of agape as revealed and demonstrated by Jesus.

Philippians 2:5-30 King James Version
5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

The Holy Spirit IS the True Nature of God revealed, described, and demonstrated unambiguously by Jesus. He IS agape love, kindness, mercy, compassion, gentleness, unconditional acceptance, empathy, sympathy, tolerance, long-suffering, decency, friendliness, peacefulness, joyfulness, understanding, care, concern, solicitude, solicitousness, sensitivity, tender-heartedness, soft-heartedness, warm-heartedness, warmth, love, brotherly love, tenderness, gentleness, mercifulness, leniency, lenience, consideration, kindness, humanity, humaneness, kind-heartedness, charity, benevolence, and He is non-judgmental.

If you are in any of the above states of mind, you are receptive to the Holy Spirit and can do no wrong. In any other state of mind, all bets are off!

Last edited by MysticPhD; 11-12-2023 at 10:50 PM..

Old 11-13-2023, 07:38 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,057 times
Lotsa good posts in this thread already!

I'd like to add that when we receive the Holy Spirit we are given divine motive force to our 'physicalness' ;
ie, inclines, motivates, and empowers us to Do Gods Will (the greatest goods) with our physical selves!

Old 11-13-2023, 10:23 AM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Lotsa good posts in this thread already!

I'd like to add that when we receive the Holy Spirit we are given divine motive force to our 'physicalness' ;
ie, inclines, motivates, and empowers us to Do Gods Will (the greatest good) with our physical selves
!
The "divine motive force" is the guidance promised but our state of mind (a function of our free will) determines whether or not we receive and follow the guidance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity