Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2023, 07:40 PM

5,535 posts, read 7,382,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Both Matthew and Jesus were Jewish. There was no Christianity yet.
You know, I'm now a practicing Christian. I think most other Christians who know me would agree, that I check most of the boxes to enter the narrow gate.

However, Jesus loves me no more now, then when I was a despicable lying reprobate.

I know now, He always loved ( loves ) me .

To quote Churchill, "we have nothing to fear, but fear itself"

Christ has won our battles for us already.

We just need to realize it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2023, 10:17 PM

47,070 posts, read 26,182,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
To quote Churchill, "we have nothing to fear, but fear itself"
Roosevelt.

Old 07-30-2023, 06:59 AM

10,140 posts, read 6,523,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Oy vey.
I agree. Seems like "some" people are yearning to be victims.

Old 07-30-2023, 11:13 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,382,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Roosevelt.
Duh.

Right war. Wrong leader.
Thanks

Old 07-30-2023, 01:40 PM

64,097 posts, read 40,395,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07-07-07 View Post
There is no other religion in the world that is hated of all nations like Christianity.
That's right! Remember the Holocaust . . . Wait that was . . . never mind!

Old 07-30-2023, 01:53 PM

484 posts, read 359,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I agree about the intentions

Good deeds done with the best of intentions

But what do you mean by the highlighted, what you seem to be saying if we are actively helping others we don’t get eternal salvation ??
When I read in Matthew 25

31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

32A nd before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

33A nd he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or at hirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Jesus seems pretty upset that people would do what they could for him personally, knowing who he was, but would not do what they could to help their fellow human beings if they didn't think there was a direct reward.

Old 07-30-2023, 02:10 PM

11,972 posts, read 3,793,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
When I read in Matthew 25

31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

32A nd before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

33A nd he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or at hirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Jesus seems pretty upset that people would do what they could for him personally, knowing who he was, but would not do what they could to help their fellow human beings if they didn't think there was a direct reward.
I agree with you, that our intention and action needs to match and that produces what is considered a good deed

I believe it’s regarded as good if we are doing things honestly with integrity apart from being under the system that is part of the law/parental/teaching stage where the rewards and punishments are handed out to get us to distinguish between right and wrong

That is what Paul is saying in Galatians 3

Old 07-30-2023, 02:47 PM

64,097 posts, read 40,395,194 times
Quote:
I love your honesty regarding your inability to use language to describe spiritual truths.

So, you return to that imperfectly perfect scripture to describe the undescribable.

Was hoping you had a new words to articulate it. I certainly don't.

Therein lies the rub.
The Self-appointed religious leaders in the Christian fold deliberately rejected and blocked any and all "new word" understanding using heresy and intimidation as a sign of their faith in God for over two millennia and counting, Oakback!!! That ensured that primitive ignorance and superstitions would continue indefinitely, especially under the threat of Hellfire. Satan could not have designed a more perfect "Godfather" method of preventing us from actually knowing our agape-loving Father God, IMO. (I certainly would not have recognized the God I encountered if I was using the dominant mainstream Christian dogma as my referent.)

Old 07-30-2023, 03:16 PM

11,972 posts, read 3,793,075 times
Quote:
I love your honesty regarding your inability to use language to describe spiritual truths.

So, you return to that imperfectly perfect scripture to describe the undescribable.

Was hoping you had a new words to articulate it. I certainly don't.

Therein lies the rub.
The thing is I am not doing anything for myself just as an individual person, on this forum I am trying to watch and observe how other people interact and justify their own types of religious or philosophical positions with each other and compare them (probably pretty similar to what you are doing as well, it seems to be more about learning from each other or comprehending things based on what is shared rather than directly teaching each other)

I developed an interest in what people believe why they believe and also what is the meaning of Holy Scripture a long time ago and can’t just switch that off

And I also have my own very simple personal faith in God which hasn’t and can’t change ….

Do you understand what I mean? This is how I see we need to be able to separate our own individual intellectual/emotional ‘self’ from the systemic while still retaining understanding that those systemic positions and authorities have their own societal relevance and relationships by design

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The Self-appointed religious leaders in the Christian fold deliberately rejected and blocked any and all "new word" understanding using heresy and intimidation as a sign of their faith in God for over two millennia and counting, Oakback!!! That ensured that primitive ignorance and superstitions would continue indefinitely, especially under the threat of Hellfire. Satan could not have designed a more perfect "Godfather" method of preventing us from actually knowing our agape-loving Father God, IMO. (I certainly would not have recognized the God I encountered if I was using the dominant mainstream Christian dogma as my referent.)
Oakback I’m interested in what you think about how mystic is judging the system

It seems to me that this is about how there is an interaction that happens as the individuals join the various systems, and they naturally bring in the new with themselves when they join and then they leave to set up a new type of organisation taking some of the doctrines with them

I think this is what happened at the time of the Protestant/reformation- there is 2 sides or 2 types of motive, as we see in the names applied to what was happening societally at that time

It is not nearly as black and white (but on another level it definitely is as black and white) as mystic is making out as there are many different types of religious organisations and communities and some are definitely more lenient and tolerant, some are more harsh and critical

It seems that this is part of the processing that needs to happen between the rulers above and the people below them

Was it you or CCC that made a comment about a week ago about how the RCC sanctifies the pagan beliefs within its body - this seems related in some way I think

It was probably CCC

Last edited by Meerkat2; 07-30-2023 at 04:05 PM..

Old 07-30-2023, 04:42 PM

84 posts, read 18,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07-07-07 View Post
In Matthew 24, Jesus gave a clear-cut sign of the end times.

Matthew 24
[9] Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

In our generation, this Scripture is being fulfilled. In fulfillment of the first part of this Scripture, Christians are being afflicted and killed in many parts of the world, e.g., China, North Korea, Africa, Hindu and Islamic nations. In the Western world, Christians are not killed but rather are hated and ostracized because they resist the avalanche of sin being normalized, e.g., wicked entertainment, homosexuality, transgenderism, etc.., fulfilling the second part of the Scripture.

There is no other religion in the world that is hated of all nations like Christianity. It's time to brace yourselves, as it's going to get very tough for real Christians. Hold fast in your heart to the truth and testimony of Jesus Christ because the hour of His triumphant return is drawing very near. He gave us signs for a reason. Remember, Jesus rebuked the people of His day because they did not recognize the sign of His first coming.

Matthew 16
[1] The Pharisees also with the Sadducees came, and tempting desired him that he would shew them a sign from heaven.
[2] He [Jesus] answered and said unto them, When it is evening, ye say, It will be fair weather: for the sky is red.
[3] And in the morning, It will be foul weather to day: for the sky is red and lowering. O ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not discern the signs of the times?
Christianity does not follow Jesus or His brothers the prophets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity