Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 11:15 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,582,966 times

Advertisements

Disney Stripped 'A Wrinkle in Time' of Christianity and Lost $100 Million

I see taking Christianity out of some things is disastrousness for those who do it.

"My point is not that this act of anti-Christian bigotry hurt the movie by offending moviegoers, but that this act of bigotry stripped Wrinkle of if its central themes, and by extension, of all the substance and human insight that comes with Christian themes, which are also universal themes. According to countless reviews, what was left was a confection of empty calories: lovely CGI on the outside and a black hole of meaningless spirituality on the inside."

"Although the predominantly left-wing entertainment media is predisposed to give a black, female director like DuVernay every benefit of the doubt, Wrinkle was mostly panned by critics who found the film pretty but ultimately insignificant."

"Hollywood’s hatred of Christianity comes with a price, but one the studios are willing to pay. Unfortunately for shareholders, Disney and DuVernay satisfying their own prejudices is more important than profits and the telling of a decent story."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 12:16 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

I see taking Christianity out of some things is disastrousness for those who do it.

"My point is not that this act of anti-Christian bigotry hurt the movie by offending moviegoers, but that this act of bigotry stripped Wrinkle of if its central themes, and by extension, of all the substance and human insight that comes with Christian themes, which are also universal themes. According to countless reviews, what was left was a confection of empty calories: lovely CGI on the outside and a black hole of meaningless spirituality on the inside."

"Although the predominantly left-wing entertainment media is predisposed to give a black, female director like DuVernay every benefit of the doubt, Wrinkle was mostly panned by critics who found the film pretty but ultimately insignificant."

"Hollywood’s hatred of Christianity comes with a price, but one the studios are willing to pay. Unfortunately for shareholders, Disney and DuVernay satisfying their own prejudices is more important than profits and the telling of a decent story."
If they are universal themes then they don't need to be Christianized or left Christianized. Good for them some things are more important than money. If they own the rights they can do what they want with it. It's not bigotry.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:30 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,367,100 times
Quote:

The film was a dud, but stating that it lost $100 million is pure make believe.

Wikipedia
A Wrinkle in Time (2018)
The film received mixed reviews, with critics "taking issue with the film's heavy use of CGI and numerous plot holes" while "most celebrated its message of female empowerment and diversity",[7] and has grossed $126 million worldwide against a budget between $100-130 million, leading many pundits to label it a box office bomb.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Wrin...ime_(2018_film)

Old 05-11-2018, 02:38 AM

21,017 posts, read 19,533,724 times
I wonder if I was the only one that read this book decades ago? (And kept it on my
bookshelf for many years afterwards cuz it was dear to my heart.)
The movie was not what I expected, let's just say.
That's my only input.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:40 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,946,237 times
I read it also as a child. I saw the TV movie they made about 10 years ago, and I got the feeling that it would difficult to make a film of this book. I've read the book several times, but I don't think it is a Christian book. It refers to Jesus as just another great teacher along with Buddha, etc. The author was very liberal in her beliefs.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:59 AM

16,768 posts, read 15,834,262 times
You started with an article from Breitbart. Did you really think that was an objective news source?

Old 05-11-2018, 06:06 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,946,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You started with an article from Breitbart. Did you really think that was an objective news source?
I thought the title sounded kind of strange. I didn't bother to look at it and see the source. Christians are pretty ignorant regarding books and reading. This makes sense. I doubt the author of the article has even read the book.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:22 AM

23,335 posts, read 10,635,295 times
I seriously doubt it lost money for not having Christian themes, I wouldn't watch that movie if it were free on youtube, and it has nothing to do with Christianity.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:38 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,459,366 times
Quote:

"Meaningless spirituality"? That's a rather meaningless phrase. Meaningless in what way and to whom?

"A Wrinkle in Time" was my favorite book from childhood. I have read it so often that it finally disintegrated and I replaced it a couple of years ago with a new copy. But, it is not Christian in it's themes, though sometimes it's themes are presented in ways that will have a sense of familiarity to Christians.

That being said, I've never met a film adaption of a childhood literary favorite that I loved, so I wouldn't be surprised if this particular attempt failed to some degree.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:38 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,843,152 times
Quote:

oh, they have only felt a fraction of the wrath to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity