Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 08:01 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Now that you mention it, I would REALLY like to know if CS Lewis's thinking might have changed had he lived another 10 years or so. I think Wrinkle was written in the early 1960's. That's about the time that he died.

I also would have liked to see what he would have thought of rock music, especially after the Beatles. Not to mention the Civil Rights movement in the US. But it's like he died at just the moment when the world was starting to really change.
I would think he's enjoying all the changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 10:34 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
oh, they have only felt a fraction of the wrath to come.
Because your image of god is ANGRY and HATEFUL towards its creation?

Old 05-13-2018, 10:38 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
What are the 'Christian themes' in 'A Wrinkle in Time?'

Old 05-13-2018, 02:29 PM

14 posts, read 6,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
[url=http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2018/05/09/disney-stripped-wrinkle-time-christianity-lost-100-million/]Disney Stripped 'A Wrinkle in Time' of Christianity and Lost $100 Million[/url]

I see taking Christianity out of some things is disastrousness for those who do it.

"My point is not that this act of anti-Christian bigotry hurt the movie by offending moviegoers, but that this act of bigotry stripped Wrinkle of if its central themes, and by extension, of all the substance and human insight that comes with Christian themes, which are also universal themes. According to countless reviews, what was left was a confection of empty calories: lovely CGI on the outside and a black hole of meaningless spirituality on the inside."

"Although the predominantly left-wing entertainment media is predisposed to give a black, female director like DuVernay every benefit of the doubt, Wrinkle was mostly panned by critics who found the film pretty but ultimately insignificant."

"Hollywood’s hatred of Christianity comes with a price, but one the studios are willing to pay. Unfortunately for shareholders, Disney and DuVernay satisfying their own prejudices is more important than profits and the telling of a decent story."
I didn't see the movie and I wasn't offended. Why not? How else do you expect the unbelieving world to act? With holiness and reverence towards the things of God? Certainly not.

We are stewards of the time that God has given us and we'll be accountable/answerable for how spend it, as well as the money we've been given to steward. I don't find my entertainment in an unbelieving Hollywood. I don't say that to be pious or a "Super Christian" because I'm not. I'm no better than anyone else. But, as a follower of Christ, knowing that I will give account for my life, realizing that everything I do, say, choose, etc., affects how I spend eternity, I choose to be fully separate from the world's ways. Not in a legalistic way because I don't condemn folks for watching movies. I've just chosen to be discerning and very careful about the influences I allow into my life. That goes for books, music, etc., If it's not honoring or pleasing to God, it's not beneficial to me either.

Have you ever heard of Leonard Ravenhill? He loved saying, "America has a King and His name is Sport. He has a wife and her name is Entertainment!" Ravenhill also said that "Entertainment is the devil's substitute for God's joy!"

Old 05-13-2018, 02:39 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Disney Stripped 'A Wrinkle in Time' of Christianity and Lost $100 Million

I see taking Christianity out of some things is disastrousness for those who do it.

"My point is not that this act of anti-Christian bigotry hurt the movie by offending moviegoers, but that this act of bigotry stripped Wrinkle of if its central themes, and by extension, of all the substance and human insight that comes with Christian themes, which are also universal themes. According to countless reviews, what was left was a confection of empty calories: lovely CGI on the outside and a black hole of meaningless spirituality on the inside."

"Although the predominantly left-wing entertainment media is predisposed to give a black, female director like DuVernay every benefit of the doubt, Wrinkle was mostly panned by critics who found the film pretty but ultimately insignificant."

"Hollywood’s hatred of Christianity comes with a price, but one the studios are willing to pay. Unfortunately for shareholders, Disney and DuVernay satisfying their own prejudices is more important than profits and the telling of a decent story."
Disney has produced movies with Christian messages, so I dont think it has anything to do with "anti-Christian bigotry".

Old 05-14-2018, 06:30 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,619,090 times
Breitbart? Really?

Old 05-14-2018, 07:13 AM

1,183 posts, read 537,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You started with an article from Breitbart. Did you really think that was an objective news source?
Yahoo finance claim the movie lost between $86 million and $186 million. So, what is your point of your message other than just ridiculing?

Old 05-14-2018, 07:54 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,619,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
Yahoo finance claim the movie lost between $86 million and $186 million. So, what is your point of your message other than just ridiculing?
The movie lost money, because it was a terrible movie.

Not because of Christianity as reflected in the Breitbart piece.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:47 AM

23,174 posts, read 10,463,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
The movie lost money, because it was a terrible movie.

Not because of Christianity as reflected in the Breitbart piece.
I know right, I can't watch movies with people I don't like, and Oprah is at the top of that list.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:09 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,302,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I wonder if I was the only one that read this book decades ago? (And kept it on my
bookshelf for many years afterwards cuz it was dear to my heart.)
The movie was not what I expected, let's just say.
That's my only input.

Yes, you are THE ONLY ONE who read the book decades ago. As you know, when you are the center of the universe, this type of thing can happen quite often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity