Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 11:14 AM

14,911 posts, read 17,223,400 times

Advertisements

HistoryasIs, take the word, aion, for example. In the KJV and some other translations the word is translated as “eternity“, “world “, and “age” . The Young’s Literal and other literal translations translate the word uniformly, as "age". How can a word the word "aion" be translated as an "age" which has a beginning and an end, also be translated as "eternity" having no beginning and end? "Age during", "age lasting", or "of or relating to an age" is not the same as "eternal" or "everlasting".

"And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt."

"And the multitude of those sleeping in the dust of the ground do awake, some to life age-during, and some to reproaches -- to abhorrence age-during. "

But if they are in heaven or hell already, how can they wake to life or contempt or abhorrence?

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-30-2007 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 05:28 PM

364 posts, read 766,759 times
we will have to see there is much debate on that word aion.

to answer your question.

I believe when we die our spirits go to heaven its our soul that is like a comma state not knowing time etc.....

when the resurrection happens our soul our old body will rise and be change

Last edited by HistoryasIS; 12-30-2007 at 05:40 PM..

Old 12-30-2007, 07:16 PM

14,911 posts, read 17,223,400 times
Thanks for sharing. God bless.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:30 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,506,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryasIS View Post
we will have to see there is much debate on that word aion.

to answer your question.

I believe when we die our spirits go to heaven its our soul that is like a comma state not knowing time etc.....

when the resurrection happens our soul our old body will rise and be change
Just curious history,
when do you think man first receives a spirit?

Old 12-31-2007, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Just curious history,
when do you think man first receives a spirit?

when he is born as a baby

Old 12-31-2007, 12:45 PM

more clear when one is born we have both soul and spirit.

The soul being our thoughts actions the way we think etc...

Old 12-31-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
more clear when one is born we have both soul and spirit.

The soul being our thoughts actions the way we think etc...
What is the spirit or what does it do..in your opinion?

Old 12-31-2007, 03:18 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,587,864 times
Default Yes, that is what those guys were saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothylogan3 View Post
so are you guys saying - if someone who is most close to you died and they are not christians they will end up in hell?
The very word "Christian" means - you have chosen to follow Christ. If you have chosen to follow Christ, that means you have accepted Christ as your Lord and Savior. Christians are taught that anyone who does not accept Jesus as his/her personal savior is damned to hell.

I do not happen to agree with this completely. . . as Paul said (paraphrased) that people would be judged by their hearts . . . Only God can judge whether a person is to enter heaven. It is not our place as mere humans to play God and make statements about whether or not a person is going to go to heaven.

Christians are taught they can "claim" the right to heaven if they believe in Jesus, so that is why all Christians will quickly say - I am going to heaven b/c I believe in Jesus.

Some branches of Christianity recognize that good works are part of the equation (do good works to gain "stars in your crown") and many do not. This is why we have different denominations - even tho Christians all agree that following Christ means they are a Christian - they do not agree on various aspects of what it means to live a Godly life.

Some churches say - you will perform good works as a sign of your commitment to Christ. Some say that doing good works actually earns you some standing in heaven.

It is what is in your heart that counts, and only God has the answer to that.

BTW - Baptism is also recognized as a sacrament and part of the process for becoming redeemed through Christ. However, according to the Scriptures, any believer can baptize another believer. Different churches will have varying rules on this practice, however.

There is no one answer to what it means to be Christian, as each denomination (and even branches w/in the denomination) may believe in slightly different tenets and subscribe to varying dogma.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
What is the spirit or what does it do..in your opinion?

The spirit I believe is the part that is forever and the soul is the part of your mind thoughts etc...

what does the spirit do?

The spirit I believe it what crys out to God to want to be with him.

The soul I believe what it does is who you are basic.

Question do you believe both spirit and soul will be not knowing time after death?

I thought both are not the same

Old 12-31-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
The spirit I believe is the part that is forever and the soul is the part of your mind thoughts etc...

what does the spirit do?

The spirit I believe it what crys out to God to want to be with him.

The soul I believe what it does is who you are basic.

Question do you believe both spirit and soul will be not knowing time after death?

I thought both are not the same
The bible says God breathed the breath of life into man and he became a living soul. Basically,the body is made up of 2 parts not 3..imo... body and spirit...Spirit+body=soul. Soul is who you are. The fist Adam was made a living soul. The second Adam was made a quickening or living spirit. The bible says don`t fear those who can destroy body but fear God who can destroy both body and soul. Man can only destroy the covering or the shell. God has the breath of life or spirit that can make you a soul. Man can never destroy that element. I saw an analogy made on another site and I`m going to add to it a little bit..think of it this way:
spirit=electricity
body=light bulb
soul=light

Man can kill the body(bulb)... the spirit(elect.) goes back to God.. and the light(soul) goes out or becomes dark. God can still cause the soul (light) to illuminate because he has the power source.

So when a person dies, the body goes back to dust,the spirit or breath of life or source of life goes back to God who gave it and the soul or person goes dark or sleeps. It is still there but in an unconscious state because God has the power source or breath of life to illuminate it or bring it back to life,which he will do on the last day. But the power source or spirit is dormant without the body or the light bulb. On the last day he will raise us up. He will breath that breath of life(electricity) into an uncorruptable body( light bulb that cannot die this time) and we will be made alive and illuminate again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity