Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 06:20 PM

14,890 posts, read 17,179,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Short answer: no.

Good thing the Bible makes clear over and over that (someday) every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.
Hi JeffnCandace, it's good to see you God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 07:17 PM

364 posts, read 766,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi I believe that the spirit which returns to God is not conscious but the soul, which I believe to be the personality, consciousness, thoughts of humans ceases to exist when the body dies.

When God created Adam, He breathed into him the breath of life and Adam became a living being or living soul. Many compare this to what happens with a light bulb. Electricity has to unite with the bulb in order for the light to come on. When the electricity goes out the light goes out. When the breath of life is removed the body dies and the soul no longer operates, functions, exists.

Job 27:3-4 speaks about the breath and the spirit.

"For as long as life/breath is in me and the breath of God is in my nostrils, my lips certainly will not speak unjustly…” (NAS)

Psalm 146:2-4
"I will praise the Lord while I live; I will sing praises to my God while I have my being. Do not trust in princes in mortal man in whom there is no salvation. His spirit departs, he returns to the earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.” (NAS)

God bless.

Yes old body do loose it thoughts etc.. because its not alive no more.

but I still do not see our spirit being like a comma The soul and spirit are two different things.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:26 PM

Hi HistoryasIs, I forgot to post for Job 27:3-4

Job 27:3-4 speaks about the breath and the spirit.

"For as long as life/breath is in me and the *breath of God is in my nostrils, my lips certainly will not speak unjustly…” (NAS)

Breath also refers to the spirit breathed into God by man. I don't believe that the spirit and the soul are the same either but I don't believe that the spirit is conscious or even in a coma. In this respect it is that breath of life, the element of life in us that returns to God when we all die. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-29-2007 at 07:34 PM..

Old 12-29-2007, 08:08 PM

i can see what your saying.

Daniel says some will awake to everlasting contempt and others everlasting peace or somthing like that.

I mighted mis-quote the verse if so if anyone knows plz correct me

Old 12-29-2007, 08:39 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,830,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothylogan3 View Post
To the christians : Can you be saved or go to heaven or paradise or whatever you wanna call it without Jesus? Will you best friend or lover or kid, who was essentially a good person, but not a follower of Jesus, wake up in heaven should they die tonight?
No ! john14:6 Jesus said to him, I am the way and the truth and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
i can see what your saying.

Daniel says some will awake to everlasting contempt and others everlasting peace or somthing like that.

I mighted mis-quote the verse if so if anyone knows plz correct me
Hi HistoryasIs, Young's Literal translation

Quote:
And the multitude of those sleeping in the dust of the ground do awake, some to life age-during, and some to reproaches -- to abhorrence age-during.
God bless.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:58 PM

Daniel 12:2 (King James Version)

King James Version (KJV) Public Domain

2And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:08 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,202,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryasIS View Post
Daniel 12:2 (King James Version)

King James Version (KJV) Public Domain

2And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
Yes History...but what Shana is trying to point out is that the LITERAL translation is quite different.

God bless!

Old 12-30-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Yes History...but what Shana is trying to point out is that the LITERAL translation is quite different.

God bless!

what different in young literal translation?

different words same meanings?

Old 12-30-2007, 07:54 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,202,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryasIS View Post
what different in young literal translation?

different words same meanings?
Definately not. Different words and different meanings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity